[Spoilers] Criticize without repercussion

teemo

1 minute ago, rosehustle1 said:

I honestly can't tell because I keep hearing rumors that he

Hide contents

saves Jon and Sansa with the Vale troops and then feed Ramsay to his own dogs.

I agree. I've heard the same rumors. Everything is just speculation until we see it on screen :dunno:

I know if the rumors are true then I have no idea what Sophie Turner was talking about. How was any of this season empowering for her if she basically has to go back to the man who sent her to a rapist? I really think ST believes being sassy and rolling one's eyes equals empowerment. I mean, she had Jon and Davos speaking either over her or for her in a scene and then she was berated for her being an abused hostage by a 10 year-old. This story arc was faux empowerment, plain and simple. She got a new dress and acted aggressive for like one scene but everything else has been her basically melting into the background or being shit on by other characters.

5 minutes ago, rosehustle1 said:

I know if the rumors are true then I have no idea what Sophie Turner was talking about. How was any of this season empowering for her if she basically has to go back to the man who sent her to a rapist? I really think ST believes being sassy and rolling one's eyes equals empowerment. I mean, she had Jon and Davos speaking either over her or for her in a scene and then she was berated for her being an abused hostage by a 10 year-old. This story arc was faux empowerment, plain and simple. She got a new dress and acted aggressive for like one scene but everything else has been her basically melting into the background or being shit on by other characters.

With new tubes of lip gloss comes the power to lie to your *possible only living relative. 

I think showDavos is the prince who was promised because he seems to be the one to get anything done, including the insight to raise a dead guy using the witch he hates, and negotiating with the Iron Bank who was laughing at Stannis at the time, and the only southerner to rally the northerners with just a crafty sentence and sultry eye gaze. 

1 minute ago, The Fattest Leech said:

With new tubes of lip gloss comes the power to lie to your *possible only living relative. 

I think showDavos is the prince who was promised because he seems to be the one to get anything done, including the insight to raise a dead guy using the witch he hates, and negotiating with the Iron Bank who was laughing at Stannis at the time, and the only southerner to rally the northerners with just a crafty sentence and sultry eye gaze. 

It's really weird that Davos has more sway than two children of Ned Stark. I swear this show is Bizarro World Westeros. In real Westeros (of the books) Ned Stark's legacy still lives and the North is fighting to save his daughter as well as get rid of the Boltons. In Bizarro Westeros, kinslaying is totally fine, everyone has forgotten the Stark legacy, some of the Northerners are willingly fighting with the Boltons, and a southerner gets the remaining houses to act on reclaiming Winterfell instead of the actual heirs.  Up is down. Black is white. And Ramsay is gifted two actual Starks in a course of a few months. And none of the Northern houses seemed to give a flying fuck about Sansa and now Rickon being at his mercy.

On 14.06.2016 at 11:48 PM, Daenerys_Is_Coming said:

I really like what you have to say here. The storyline is a hot hot mess, but the production value continues to amaze me. The costumes, the sets the special effects..... I sometimes don't give enough credit to the hard work that goes into these areas. I want to recognize that I respect the people who work in these areas and try to do their best... especially the actors who are getting stcuk with horrible dialogue and awful story arcs. Didn't the guy who played Stannis say that after he was killed he didn't really understand what was the point of the whole character? If the guy playing THE GUY doesn't understand the point, you've got some serious issues, lol. 

Can you find quote where Stannis actor said this? I would like to read it.

On 15.06.2016 at 4:11 AM, Ser Greenseer said:

Another thing that bothered me, when Brienne was explaining the situation to the Blackfish she said that Sansa wants to reclaim her home and take her rightful place as lady of Winterfell. The thing is she is not the rightful heir to Winterfell. Bran is, and she and Jon KNOW he is alive yet have made no mention of him.

There is also Rickon who everyone know that he is alive (at least until next episode).

17 minutes ago, Paxter Redwyne said:

Can you find quote where Stannis actor said this? I would like to read it.

It was in an interview with a French magazine called Liberation, or Liberacion, or something like that. So if you don't read French you're shit out of luck. I had to rely on Google translate, which made the whole thing sound very strange.

Actually, there was a write-up on winteriscoming.net, but I don't know if they'd got a proper translation or whatever. Does anybody here speak French? Want to do the yeoman's work?

http://next.liberation.fr/images/2016/03/13/stephen-dillane-a-la-gauche-du-trone_1439355

Here is the link. I can not properly read French, but it is similar to my first language so I get a little. At some point he affirms that he did not understand the show or the events and it was a bizarre experience. There is more, but I don't understand it well

2 hours ago, Armand Gargalen said:

http://next.liberation.fr/images/2016/03/13/stephen-dillane-a-la-gauche-du-trone_1439355

Here is the link. I can not properly read French, but it is similar to my first language so I get a little. At some point he affirms that he did not understand the show or the events and it was a bizarre experience. There is more, but I don't understand it well

"Je ne regrette pas d’avoir fait Game of Thrones mais je n’ai rien à en dire. Je ne comprenais ni la série ni son succès quand j’y participais. L’expérience a été très bizarre, elle m’est passée sous le nez. Pour qu’un rôle me plaise, il faut que je puisse m’y intéresser, ce qui n’était pas vraiment le cas. J’étais un peu dépassé par les événements."

english : 

"I do not regret participating in Game of Thrones, but I have nothing to say. I don't understand neither the series nor its success when I was in the show. The experience was very strange, it passed under my nose. To like a role, I must get interested in it but it was not really the case. I was a little bit overtaken by events (feeling overwhelmed)."

24 minutes ago, Future Null Infinity said:

"I do not regret participating in Game of Thrones, but I have nothing to say. I don't understand neither the series nor its success when I was in the show. The experience was very strange, it passed under my nose. To like a role, I must get interested in it but it was not really the case. I was a little bit overtaken by events (feeling overwhelmed)."

no wonder he wasn't interested in role as Dumb, Dumber and Cogman decided to kill Stannis only because they dislike him and then gave his arc to emotionless jon and sansa aka sansatan.

The only good thing what i can think now about show, is that at least they did not decided to put me into their atrocity. Paxter Redwyne the Great Admiral of Arbor is not someone who deserve to be thrown into this pit of filth.

Go, Team Redwyne! 

Stephen Dillane clearly did not like D&D's writing:

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2016-03-16/stephen-dillane-on-playing-stannis-baratheon-in-game-of-thrones-money-is-the-main-thing-i-got-out-of-it

In an interview with RadioTimes.com, the actor, who is due to be seen in a second series of Sky Atlantic drama The Tunnel next month, was asked what he got out of Game of Thrones. He replied: “Money".

Asked by RadioTimes.com if he also got “professional and personal satisfaction” from the role he added with a faint smile: “Er, no.”

http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/game-of-thrones/news/a790111/game-of-thrones-star-stephen-dillane-doesnt-miss-playing-stannis/

He departed Game of Thrones last season as the unforgiving Stannis Baratheon - and now actor Stephen Dillane has admitted that he "didn't get" his character's role in the hit series.

Dillane told press including Digital Spy that he regrets not reading George RR Martin's novels, since he struggled to get a grasp on Stannis across his four seasons with the show.

"I wish I'd read the books - I might have got a better idea of where it was all going," he said.

"I just felt as if I didn't get it, and had I read the books, I might have had a better idea of the role of the character - what he was meant to be. It might've helped."

The second one is incredibly damning to the writers and directors.  If one of your principle actors doesn't understand his character after seasons something is seriously wrong.

39 minutes ago, Paxter Redwyne said:

no wonder he wasn't interested in role as Dumb, Dumber and Cogman decided to kill Stannis only because they dislike him and then gave his arc to emotionless jon and sansa aka sansatan.

The only good thing what i can think now about show, is that at least they did not decided to put me into their atrocity. Paxter Redwyne the Great Admiral of Arbor is not someone who deserve to be thrown into this pit of filth.

Go, Team Redwyne! 

First, in general, I'm am so happy to see posters here sharing the reactions of past actors on the show. Many others feel it is something more people should be aware of :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

@Paxter Redwyne I used to get really upset that my favorite secondary supporting characters never showed up on screen when they should have, but then after season 3, I am happy as hell they didn't because they would have been destroyed on the show. It was a blessing in disguise :D

Here's to the saving of: 

Val, Lady Stoneheart, Gatehouse Ami, Nimble Dick, Val, Satin, Iron Emmet, Genna Lannister, Brown Benn Plumm, Taena Merryweather, Garlan and Val. :cheers:

RIP Bloodraven :crying:

11 hours ago, ummester said:

I'm not really interested in the sudden plot twists - I want the broad plot to develop and resolve. Resolve most of all. Great start and middle - it's time to deliver on an ending worthy of that.

You can only ask moral questions so many ways before they get boring, also. The story has proven that morality is grey, that it all depends on POV - great, I'm down with that - resolve the fucking thing already, give us a conclusion. Personally, I don't think GRRM's writing or atmosphere is that great, his word use meanders like he does - obvious in his battle scenes which are often confusing compared to other heroic fantasy stories. The writing didn't suck me in. What sucked me in was the intricate plotting and character development/relationships - but this has to lead somewhere IMO, without leading somewhere it's all for nothing.

Yes, the book characters are definitely more strongly written, even in the last 2 books where the overall plot started to lose traction. But, see above, IMO it is all for nothing unless GRRM delivers an ending worthy of his start.

The book-bashing thread is not here, is it? So, if I'm not mistaken, you should change the subject.

Lots of new ranters this week. What changed? The Terminator chase, and the fact that none of the crackpot theories used to explain Arya surviving her wounds came to pass? Come on, I can't believe how many people were willing to give the show that degree of benefit of the doubt at this point. I was 100% sure they were playing it straight.

Anyway, next week is the Bastard Bowl, and they'll try to replicate the Hardhome formula of (only figuratively) cheap success. So I predict a lot of you will get back on the hype train this Sunday.

56 minutes ago, The fanny from hell said:

The book-bashing thread is not here, is it? So, if I'm not mistaken, you should change the subject.

Yea possibly - but it's being kind of close minded and a little deluded to criticise one without the other. The source and the adaptation have both lost the plot, it seems to me.

And there is no thread or sub forum that I am aware of, on this entire board, that actively criticises both. It's always either or, pick a side, kind of thing - when the truth is both source and adaptation started far better than what they have become. Any natural discussion should organically evolve into the comparison and criticism of both, at this stage, as neither exists in it's own bubble.

44 minutes ago, The fanny from hell said:

Lots of new ranters this week. What changed? The Terminator chase, and the fact that none of the crackpot theories used to explain Arya surviving her wounds came to pass? Come on, I can't believe how many people were willing to give the show that degree of benefit of the doubt at this point. I was 100% sure they were playing it straight.

Arya surviving the wound and, wounded, turning the tables on a superior assassin is a jumping the shark moment that deflates the grittiness of the originally tone too much. There have been other little things, screeching skeletons, puppy dog eyed dragons, Tyrion not being killed for beating up a slaver, time travelling Bran and batter up Hodor - and they have been mounting but not quite enough for the show to seem like a total inversion on itself. The silliness of Arya's healing power plot is a total inversion, a parody of how it started.

17 hours ago, teemo said:

Well, pretty much no show is as good as The Wire.  There are like one or two other shows in its league. David Simon was a respected journalist, author, and television writer.  Ed Burns worked in homicide in the BPD for 20 years and worked closely with Simon in writing.  George Pelecanos, who wrote all the penultimate, heartbreaking Wire episodes was a successful novelist.  David Benioff's biggest accomplishment was Troy, which was horrible, while Weiss has pretty much done nothing. Same with Bryan Cogman.  They are just way out of their depth. Can't really expect people like this to make an ensemble cast work as well as it did on The Wire, but the point is that it can be done.  D&D are just bad and inexperienced.

Well DB's greatest moment was his debut novel  The 25th Hour, a very good book overall. I have to say, I was very excited of him being involved in the beginning.

19 minutes ago, ummester said:

Yea possibly - but it's being kind of close minded and a little deluded to criticise one without the other. The source and the adaptation have both lost the plot, it seems to me.

And there is no thread or sub forum that I am aware of, on this entire board, that actively criticises both. It's always either or, pick a side, kind of thing - when the truth is both source and adaptation started far better than what they have become.

Whatevs. Given that your first post here was more about the books than the show, that your subsequent ones were the same, and your posting history, it's pretty clear that you came here to troll. You'll have to excuse me for my frankness. :dunno:

23 minutes ago, ummester said:

And there is no thread or sub forum that I am aware of, on this entire board, that actively criticises both. It's always either or, pick a side, kind of thing - when the truth is both source and adaptation started far better than what they have become. Any natural discussion should organically evolve into the comparison and criticism of both, at this stage, as neither exists in it's own bubble.

Arya surviving the wound and, wounded, turning the tables on a superior assassin is a jumping the shark moment that deflates the grittiness of the originally tone too much. There have been other little things, screeching skeletons, puppy dog eyed dragons, Tyrion not being killed for beating up a slaver, time travelling Bran and batter up Hodor - and they have been mounting but not quite enough for the show to seem like a total inversion on itself. The silliness of Arya's healing power plot is a total inversion, a parody of how it started.

I agree.  Arya is so popular, and that sequence was so poorly done....done so poorly it caused the internet to go nuts creating theories to explain how it would be an awesome twist, and then, not only no twist, but the finale even more poorly done than the set up.....yes, jump the shark moment.  

But, the show kind of parodies itself now, doesn't it?  With the string of cock jokes and drinking games and the Hound practically bashing down the 4th wall looking into the camera, wink, wink "Chicken".....if that isn't self parody, what is it?

I didn't mind the sweet dragon scene, it just told me Drogon will die at the end. LOL. The Jason and the Argonauts skeletons was bad, though, very cheesy.

1 hour ago, The fanny from hell said:

Anyway, next week is the Bastard Bowl, and they'll try to replicate the Hardhome formula of (only figuratively) cheap success. So I predict a lot of you will get back on the hype train this Sunday.

Some of us have been ranting in private for quite a while, it is just this week was way too much to stomach. I am pretty sure I won't be chhering next week, specially if Ramsey gets fed to his own dogs. Not that I like him, it is just that I dislike violence and revenge.

14 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

I agree.  Arya is so popular, and that sequence was so poorly done....done so poorly it caused the internet to go nuts creating theories to explain how it would be an awesome twist, and then, not only no twist, but the finale even more poorly done than the set up.....yes, jump the shark moment.  

But, the show kind of parodies itself now, doesn't it?  With the string of cock jokes and drinking games and the Hound practically bashing down the 4th wall looking into the camera, wink, wink "Chicken".....if that isn't self parody, what is it?

I didn't mind the sweet dragon scene, it just told me Drogon will die at the end. LOL. The Jason and the Argonauts skeletons was bad, though, very cheesy.

Yes, what this show has become is exactly what self parody is. Those old enough to remember Happy Days will remember where jumping the shark first came from and how that show and it's characters became ridiculous parodies of themselves. The worst offender in Game of Thrones is Tyrion, IMO - he has been a Tyrion caricature for 2 seasons now.

And yes, Arya being as popular as she was will have a broad effect on many viewers. Personally, I was never that invested in Arya - other than just how dark medieval hit girl was going to get - but this silly comic book version we saw last episode is hit girl gone wrong.

I was just reading an article that suggested even Sopranos jumped the shark near the end - though it managed to pull it together for the finale. I watched Sopranos back to back and, though I thought it became a little silly around the time it focused on the gay gangster, it still held my interest. I think everything has a shelf life and if you go past it, it turns to shit - nothing is ever good enough to be stretched on forever and less is often more.

Archived