Characters you dislike or hate

norwaywolf123

I generally don't hate any of the well developed characters because even if they are horrible people I can appreciate them on a literary level; they are interesting even if they are horrible people. I love to hate Cersei because she is absolutely insane about things in her chapters - like with her obsession with taking down Marge when she should be focusing on more important things.

That said, I hated Joffrey because well... I think the reason is pretty obvious. He was a horrible person who had other people do despicable things for him. I'm glad that Sansa got away from him while she had the chance. Frey and Gregor are also on my hate list as is Ramsay. They make my skin crawl! Ramsay is the most evil character in the series in my opinion. 

On 8/7/2016 at 1:18 AM, PirateVergo said:

In recent times it is, Brandon is nothing like Ned,Benjen,Robb or even Jon.

Who said that Benjen was honorable? Robb and Ned were definitely not the paragon of virtue or honor and Jon's altruism isn't about honour is about protecting the innocent.

He got her pregnant while being promised to another woman, he dishonored her, what Ashara think of it hardly matters, even if she was fine with it Brandon shouldn't have bee, see how Robb threw everything away for his honr after sleeping with Jeyne.

First we don't know if Brandon had sex with Ashara or if he was the father of her daughter. What Barristan told was;

If I had unhorsed Rhaegar and crowned Ashara queen of love and beauty, might she have looked to me instead of Stark?

Which imply two things in Barristan's mind; that someone did something to Ashara and she asked for a Stark to help her. Barristan said that she was dishonored but for the Dornish sex isn't dishonor. To claim that a woman cannot have her own mind and deside what she wants to do with her body sounds sexist.

I consider cheating on the one you're supposed to marry to be quite the offense.

You do, the Westerosi don't seem to feel the same. And even if they do why is the man's fault what a woman will decide to do?

Only a total moron would go into the red keep and scream about how he's gonna kill the crown prince in front of the king himself and his court. Brandon got himself killed because he was an impulsive fool, his father died because of him too. No matter what Rhaegar did, threatening the prince was surely not the way to get Lyanna back. He should've shut the fuck up and let his father deal with the situation.

Again, we don't know what happened. From all we know he could just had gone to KL. Jaime isn't a reliable source of informations since for him to know exactly what happened he should had been at the gates when Brandon "screamed" or that Brandon and his company went in the room where Aerys was with their swords and Jaime was able to hear it. Personally, I don't believe that Brandon did anything like that. I do believe that he went to KL and that he even might had told that he want to see Rhaegar for what he did to Lyanna however someone who wanted the war to happen would had used birds to spread the rumour about Brandon screaming for Aerys to kill him. Also what Brandon did was the honorable thing to do, if he waited for his father from all he knew Rhaegar could had keep raping and torturing his sister.

Ned didn't start anything, Catelyn did.

When he confessed his plans to Cersei, which btw was the opposite from honorable, he killed Robert and started the war.

On 7/8/2016 at 8:08 PM, Joy Hill said:

Patchface is really, really irritating (despite the fact that he succeeds in being kind of intriguing). 

He's worse in the audio books. Sam as well. I get that they're supposed to be kind of annoying but Roy Dotrice makes them practically unbearable.

On 7/9/2016 at 4:17 AM, Jon's Queen Consort said:

When he confessed his plans to Cersei, which btw was the opposite from honorable, he killed Robert and started the war.

Cersei's plan to have him get drunk and killed was enacted before Ned told her about his plans. I agree Ned made a bad choice but I don't think you can blame him for Robert's death.

On 7/5/2016 at 11:27 AM, Leticia Stark said:

People hating a direwolf. This is too much :rofl:

Because they hate Jon.  I love the dragons but I hate the direwolves.  It has to do with my dislike for Jon.

Characters that I hate are:

• Jon
  • Bran
  • Stannis
  • Ramsay

I really hate Sansa cos that girl doesn't have a spine. She keeps getting kicked from one place to another and she does absolutely niothing about it. Jon seems to be most hated character in this thread which is understandable as he is Mr.GoodyTwoShoes! 

I strongly dislike (in order):

1. Cersei (Her smug self-assurdness as she goes around screwing up everything is irritating to no end.)

2. Alliser Thorne (He's just a dick for no real reason.)

3. Arianne Martell (Her and her schemes are annoying. She really should just let the adults handle things.)

4. Mace Tyrell (and all the males in that family, really. Just idiots.)

5. All Freys

On 8/7/2016 at 0:18 AM, PirateVergo said:

In recent times it is, Brandon is nothing like Ned,Benjen,Robb or even Jon.

Ned wasn't raised in the North and the education he gave to his sons isn't the one Brandon, Lyanna and Benjen received, by the way you know nothing about Benjen.

He got her pregnant while being promised to another woman, he dishonored her, what Ashara think of it hardly matters, even if she was fine with it Brandon shouldn't have bee, see how Robb threw everything away for his honr after sleeping with Jeyne.

Robb was an idiot who was raised in an idiotic way that caused his fall, he shouldn't have married Jeyne. Concerning Brandon and Ashara, she was willing and he wasn't married so everything that happened between them was their own concern until the pregnancy which brought up dishonor upon her and her house. Otherwise there were none, you can't even affirm she was a virgin before that and even though she had been, without the pregnancy it would still have been their secrets.

I consider cheating on the one you're supposed to marry to be quite the offense.

I find it a rather naive conception considering the universe in which they are living and their wedding condition.

Only a total moron would go into the red keep and scream about how he's gonna kill the crown prince in front of the king himself and his court. Brandon got himself killed because he was an impulsive fool, his father died because of him too. No matter what Rhaegar did, threatening the prince was surely not the way to get Lyanna back. He should've shut the fuck up and let his father deal with the situation.

Rickard died because Aerys decided to have him executed.

Ned didn't start anything, Catelyn did.

Once he learned the truth about the royal kids, Ned was willing to go war with the Lannisters no matter the dreadful consequences for the smallfolk because his "honor" dictated him to do so, however once it was the safety of his daughter that was put into the matter, he easily screwed that "honor".

• 1 year later...
On 16.6.2016. at 9:22 PM, Stannistician said:

All of the Freys.

They remind me of that weird, disgusting family that seems to exist in most neighborhoods/towns.  Everyone wants them gone, but you just can't seem to get rid of them.  The type of family that makes everyone else sick to their stomachs.  Like the McPoyles on It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia.

Even small children and babies?

Hate is such a strong word... but aside from the obvious characters that are horrible, cruel and everyone is supposed to hate or at least love to hate (The Bloody Mummurs, the Mountain and his men, Ramsay, Cersei, Littlefinger, Varys etc.), gosh darn it, I didn't really care about Robb Stark dying. He was off out of sight for most of the war and only came back in to demonstrate how much he had royally screwed up. Being a good tactician does not make up for being a supreme idiot. I never hated him but I really didn't like him... or his mother.

Also, still not feeling Jaime. :dunno:

5 hours ago, Haus Berlin said:

Only Robert Baratheon

BTW How about a poll for this topic?

Actually, I was going to suggest this because "hate/love" etc threats inevitably end up with huge discussions on certain characters, like here, say Cat, that I personally feel they belong in a Cat or parenting thread or whatever.

I would also be interesting to see the results because my bet right now is that if we do two:  i.e. favourites and most hated, a lot of the same characters are going to top them both at the same time and I my wagger is that a lot of them are very major ones:  Dany, Jon, Tyrion, Sansa, Jaime, Stannis...

It feels only natural because they are characters we know a lot about and are bound to have strong feelings for, one way or the other.  To me the polarity in itself means that George is doing his job well and that those characters are multi-layered hence we can either relate to them in an emphatic manner or go the opposite way.

Stating the obvious, this sort of thread is totally subjective, okay, yes we can all provide cannon examples ad infinitum but the thing is that every human being makes mistakes and, at times, acts in ethically questionable ways; be it either out or selfishness, self-preservation or whatever or hey, yeah even lack of hindsight or forward planning lol

Now, from a literary point of view, for me a "bad character" is a badly constructed one but this is subjective and debatable too...  Ramsay and Joffrey come to mind here but I could be missing stuff.  The Mountain, to a point, but I am convinced those headaches have something to do with his temperament.  Not justifying him but of the mind that he had some disease that was driving him nuts, even if the pain alone...(but again a matter for its own thread).

Now, whereas I understand that neither Ramsay nor Joffrey had the best parenting or circumstances conducive to being well-adjusted they really take the biscuit).  I think what George is pointing up here is a very serious mental health issue, with both.  Okay people with those conditions are still human and mayhaps deserve our pity but on the other hand society also needs protection from them...  I guess the same could be said for any of the schemers (who are a lot of the cast...if not nearly all).  I guess the difference is that most of the others could be "reasoned with" to an extend... threaten even.  These two are just a lost cause where reasoning is concerned but hey, I digress.

Also, there is the differentiation between:   "hate and love to hate" in literature.  I love to hate Littlefinger for instance, Varys too.  I admire their shrewdness and determination to succeed against all the odds but hate what they do most of the time.  Varys is a character I have a lot of theories on but very little fool-proof evidence yet... LF on the other hand reminds me a lot of someone I knew, distant cousin of my mother incidentally lol and without justifying him I can get into his shoes when he could hope for nothing better than disdain for being "lower born." He, like Tyrion and Varys, I believe, believe in a meritocracy (for it suits them, I won't deny lol), which they have proved Westeros can be but it takes bloody hard work and scheming.  Okay, Tyrion is the odd one there because he is very high born but his condition, and more over, people's perception of his limitations, limits him considerably.  All 3 are super capable and underestimated so they make it their business to succeed in a world which is not per se a meritocracy.  Do I agree with their actions???  Not all for sure.  Is it justifiable?  Not in all instances, no.  Oh, gods, and re-reading my post, no, I don't think they are acting together lol.

Okay, but this is just a very small point and hell this thread is so wide it could lead us to discuss everyone in relation to everything.

Just to say that, in my opinion at least we do not have a character that is always right, unquestionably and has a heart so pure that selfishness, greed, lust or whatever could not enter their minds.  To me, that would be the worse possible character of all, from a literary point of view.  Okay, we see a few likable ones that appear pretty altruistic and good like Pod, say, or Sam (was surprised to see Sam was nominated here but hey, each to their own!), but they are still able to manipulate to favour their favourites or to act against a KG etc, which to me is great!

So, okay, basically saying, our likes and dislikes here reflect IMHO just how good the characterisation of the main characters is, in that we are about to go to war (metaphorically) for them or against them and there is very little absolute right and wrong (with perhaps the exceptions I have given).

I also strongly believe that whom we relate to is deeply connected with our own personal experiences, even political thoughts, including feminism and distribution of wealth, feelings on foreigners (wildings?)  or even religious ideas we hold ourselves today, so this is all been seen through our own "filters."

I have to admit though, that I tend to care a lot less for characters we have not been so exposed to; say Aegon or Rickon.  But then again, I got on board quickly enough with Myranda Royce (books) and say that Hoster guy Jaime took as hostage lol  Why, I ask myself?  Hey one is a feisty, bubbly little bitch (my party persona, although hey never killed a husband on my wedding night lol) and the other bookish as they come lol  So I can relate to them with only a little characterisation on the part of the author because I IDENTIFY with them!

Although I love discussions for or against Cat or Jon or Dany hey, I really believe it comes down to where our personal experiences are leading us in terms of identifying with them or not, or even identifying with them or not "by proxy" say on behalf of a dear friend, for argument's sake, that encountered a character like that....

Okay, what is my overall point?  I guess that if we were all, or a vast majority were to agree re likes and dislikes, the series probably would be pretty uni dimensional and cliche.

Archived