Tyrion's Tragic End

Lord Cactus

On 22.6.2016 at 4:05 AM, Curled Finger said:

Planetos would be at a loss for witty comebacks and sound reason if Tyrion was to lose his tongue.  Tyrion isn't afraid to say what he thinks and temper it with careful choice.  Honestly, Tyrion is the brilliant one in this story and face it, his tongue is the majority of it.  Look at the historical scenarios Tyrion makes up for himself.   He was thrown down a well, cast out--he's got a million of them.    Doesn't mean Tyrion is predicting his future.  How many times is Jon called sullen?   Doesn't mean that's all he is or that he will stay that way.   

a new character can be introduced tyrion is not a necesity too the story

1 hour ago, The Weirwoods Eyes said:

I think there is merit in this theory. It has been said so many times and he does deserve it for the Bards murder.  

You mean Symon Silvertongue? Blackmailers take a certain risk when trying to extort the rich and powerful. 

“Money buys a man's silence for a time. A bolt in the heart buys it forever.” So sayeth Petyr Baelsih

On ‎6‎/‎21‎/‎2016 at 5:04 PM, BricksAndSparrows said:

This is a possibility. Al though I don't think Tyrion would find it half so tragic as the loss of his cock.

lol, noseless, tongueless and cockless but still alive. That would be a fitting end for the little turd. :rofl:

40 minutes ago, Light a wight tonight said:

You mean Symon Silvertongue? Blackmailers take a certain risk when trying to extort the rich and powerful. 

“Money buys a man's silence for a time. A bolt in the heart buys it forever.” So sayeth Petyr Baelsih

I'm not sure even I am vengeful enough to feel attempted blackmail warrants being turned into stew and fed to the "unsuspecting" people. And I'm a pretty nasty bitch. :rofl:

3 hours ago, norwaywolf123 said:

I beg to differ here.   Tyrion is crucial to this story.   If there are only to be 2 more books there isn't time enough to polarize enough feeling for a new character equal to the opinion we've been allowed to make of Tyrion.   Not only that.   He and Dany are the only non-Stark main characters.  I'm certain there is more than 1 reason for this.   

3 hours ago, The Weirwoods Eyes said:

I'm not sure even I am vengeful enough to feel attempted blackmail warrants being turned into stew and fed to the "unsuspecting" people. And I'm a pretty nasty bitch. :rofl:

Well, he did give him the option to be exiled and didn't take it.  Granted, too brutal a way but that is a brutal society.  I wouldn't be too happy having to decapitate a deserter either, say...  Now, I guess if someone was blackmailing me in the real world now I would ensure that they go to jail for a very, very long time and secretly pray for their death of course although I wouldn't be able to get myself to kill them I don't think...  I think this was more justified than killing Tywin and Shae for instance which to me was just Tyrion "losing the plot" although it was necessary for the story.  So basically I do approve of the stew.  Tywin and Shae were more reprehensible and much more a mistake even tactically.  A cocky confident blackmailer just does not go away, or cannot be trusted to do so.

7 hours ago, norwaywolf123 said:

A: Tyrion is Martin's favorite character. It is known. It's unlikely that he'll be killed off soon. 

B: He's a main character, has specialized knowledge of Dragunz, is a candidate for Valonqar.

C: There are too many characters in the story now. It's been said that Martin will be killing off several. He's unlikely to be adding any.

On 6/21/2016 at 1:09 AM, Lord Cactus said:

I think Tyrion is going to lose his tongue by the end.

I don’t think Tyrion is going to get his tongue cut out. I do think that Tyrion is gonna get himself in some trouble and not be able to talk his way out of it. In SoS c.53 when Tywin reveals the results of the RW he says:

"No one was told, save those who had a part to play. And they were only told as much as they needed to know. You ought to know that there is no other way to keep a secret—here, especially. My object was to rid us of a dangerous enemy as cheaply as I could, not to indulge your curiosity or make your sister feel important." He closed the shutters, frowning. "You have a certain cunning, Tyrion, but the plain truth is you talk too much. That loose tongue of yours will be your undoing."

In SoS c.50 when Tyrion thinks about the catspaw blade used against Bran:

The blade Joff chose was nice and plain. No goldwork, no jewels in the hilt, no silver inlay on the blade. King Robert never wore it, had likely forgotten he owned it. Yet the Valyrian steel was deadly sharp . . . sharp enough to slice through skin, flesh, and muscle in one quick stroke. I am no stranger to Valyrian steel. But he had been, hadn't he? Else he would never have been so foolish as to pick Littlefinger's knife.

The why of it still eluded him. Simple cruelty, perhaps? His nephew had that in abundance. It was all Tyrion could do not to retch up all the wine he'd drunk, piss in his breeches, or both. He squirmed uncomfortably. He ought to have held his tongue at breakfast. The boy knows I know now. My big mouth will be the death of me, I swear it.

What predicament Tyrion gets himself into though is still in Martin’s mind not on the written page. Unless, Tyrion has accepted the idea that with papa Lannister dead he has no more name recognition or protection.

Tyrion’s traveling experiences may have made him a bit more humble and he may be able to keep a zip on the lip. That doesn’t take into account that he has a price on his head and is wanted for regicide & kinslaying. It will be interesting to read how that is handled.

11 hours ago, The Weirwoods Eyes said:

I think there is merit in this theory. It has been said so many times and he does deserve it for the Bards murder.  

It is amazing how many people tend to forget this event since Tyrion is a fan favorite, or gloss over it.

1 minute ago, Sensenmenn said:

You seem to forget that GRRM is a good writer who won't compromise his story for fan favoritism.

Oh I believe that entirely. Martin has referred to Tyrion as a villain in several interviews. He has gotten progressively darker while Jaime has gotten progressively lighter.

I was speaking about fans and not Mr. Martin. I was talking about some people who overlook Tyrion's misdeeds because they like him.

Even with his tongue out, Tyrion could still be formidable. Who was the guy from the dance of the dragons? The one they maimed and gelded? I think he still served on the small council after. He might have even been a Lannister...

I still tend to think Tyrion will end up a king. I think his first meeting with Jon is foreshadowing, when his SHADOW appears to be that of a Kings...

Interesting theory and very likely. Tyrion's tounge put him in a trouble many times. Though Tyrion is one favorite characters of both viewers and readers, other characters don't like him because he makes them look stupid.

There is a popular theory out there that the whole ASOIAF is a story written my Sam as a maester in Citadele. I think it would be Tyrion (with or without tongue) who will write down and tell the whole story, because he posses more insight of the events than Sam.

I believe that Tyrion understands that his wits, honesty, and pragmatism are looked down upon by many, friends or enemies, but I think he knows better than anyone on when to stop in terms of self-preservation. It is a very interesting theory and observation though!

Dunno, I think he "paid" for his loose tongue in the aftermath of Purple Wedding. He was cast down and stripped of ... Well, even of the power of his tongue in a big part. Before, people listened to him because he was Lannister and rich. Now he may be muste as well  - nobody much pays attention to him. 

He is really parallel to Jaime - his brother lost his sword hand so he now has to talk more (and be more responsible). Tyrion now sees he cannot talk his way out of all situations, so he has to adapt as well. Both have already eaten their humble pie, though it remains to be seen if Jaime survived his encounter with Lady Stoneheart.

15 hours ago, Clegane'sPup said:

Think about this statement for a moment. It ain't empowering. It is degrading.

I don't think anyone but me gets to decide how I feel about me. I am towards those who hurt me, quite nasty, I am a pretty vengeful person. And in other regards I am incredibly kind and generous. But only I get to decide how to feel about me. 

On ‎8‎/‎14‎/‎2016 at 3:33 PM, The Weirwoods Eyes said:

It'll probably be Dany who orders his tongue to be torn out after he makes some indescribably lewd joke at her expense.

There's an embarrassed silence in Court.  Then Dany starts to clap, slowly (other courtiers begin to laugh nervously).  "Tell me Lord Tyrion, would you prefer to live without your tongue, or without your cock?"  "Well, a man needs his cock!"  "Very well then, tongue it is."

Archived