Bakker XLV: Optimal Tip-to-Tip Damnation (no TGO Spoilers)

lokisnow

On 7/13/2016 at 6:20 AM, Sci-2 said:

You said something random about boiling pots and then linked to some random cartoon - hardly proof of comprehension.

Happy to say I missed something if you want to write another post that explains in clear terms what you're trying to say.

Nah, I'm sure we could both write a paragraph on the psychology of 'a watched pot never boils' but that it came off as a non sequitur means there's no charity going on right now. 

Arrg.  I didn't order The Great Ordeal from Amazon, as I expected to get it faster in person, from one of the several bookshops near me (Oxford, UK), which has stocked Bakker in the past.  On Tuesday I found none of them had a single Bakker book, which is both rather worrying for the third series's prospects, and alas, I won't now have it until Wednesday.

Frustration came swirling down.

10 hours ago, Callan S. said:

Nah, I'm sure we could both write a paragraph on the psychology of 'a watched pot never boils' but that it came off as a non sequitur means there's no charity going on right now. 

Or, just maybe, I didn't understand what you said.

Anyway if you want to have a real conversation it's up to you.

On 14/07/2016 at 11:18 PM, Hersir of Hogs said:

Arrg.  I didn't order The Great Ordeal from Amazon, as I expected to get it faster in person, from one of the several bookshops near me (Oxford, UK), which has stocked Bakker in the past.  On Tuesday I found none of them had a single Bakker book, which is both rather worrying for the third series's prospects, and alas, I won't now have it until Wednesday.

Frustration came swirling down.

I just checked amazon uk and all I can find is the kindle version which won't be released until September. That might explain why you haven't found any copies in your local bookstores. Waterstones lists the paperback coming out on 29th September. It looks like if we want it early we'll need to get the US version.

I'm not reading it until the second part comes out (or never comes out) but may wind up getting the US version when that happens. Not sure it makes much difference where I buy from - is it better for the US to sell lots of copies or are overall sales key? I guess they'll be less likely to publish the second part in the UK if the first part sells badly though. Maybe they should have considered releasing at the same time.

10 hours ago, red snow said:

I just checked amazon uk and all I can find is the kindle version which won't be released until September. That might explain why you haven't found any copies in your local bookstores. Waterstones lists the paperback coming out on 29th September. It looks like if we want it early we'll need to get the US version.

I'm not reading it until the second part comes out (or never comes out) but may wind up getting the US version when that happens. Not sure it makes much difference where I buy from - is it better for the US to sell lots of copies or are overall sales key? I guess they'll be less likely to publish the second part in the UK if the first part sells badly though. Maybe they should have considered releasing at the same time.

It isn't a part one and two, TGO is a legit complete third novel of a four book series, and it turns out was written that way going back many many years ago. The split was misinformation and miss communication about the writing and publishing process

1 hour ago, lokisnow said:

It isn't a part one and two, TGO is a legit complete third novel of a four book series, and it turns out was written that way going back many many years ago. The split was misinformation and miss communication about the writing and publishing process

It flies in the face of several of the reviews I've read. although I guess it could be unresolved and just be part 3 of the 4 part aspect emperor arc. Either way I'll wait until that arc is done before I read anymore. I'll still buy the UK release when it's out - hence the check today

2 hours ago, red snow said:

It flies in the face of several of the reviews I've read. although I guess it could be unresolved and just be part 3 of the 4 part aspect emperor arc. Either way I'll wait until that arc is done before I read anymore. I'll still buy the UK release when it's out - hence the check today

As discussed in the spoiler thread, reviewers were deliberately misled.

11 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

I didn't think the UK release was due out til august, that uh, might be why you cant find it in the UK.

Edit: Also, the last two books didn't exactly end with any resolution of...anything, so yeah, it is pretty much book 3 of 4.

That's the case - think it's actually end of September. 

While it looks like book 4 should be next year I'd rather know book 4 is out before doing a reread of the series and doing book 4. I know I've forgotten a lot over the last 5 years (particularly with a dense series like this) and while I think a re-read will be fun/justified - there's too much other stuff out there to read for the first time for me to do re-reads everytime there's a 5 year gap. I'm not damaging sales by sitting on book 3 (although I guess not putting a review on amazon/goodreads could possibly damage sales in terms of people liking to see lots of good reviews)

9 hours ago, Dickwad Poster #3784 said:

As discussed in the spoiler thread, reviewers were deliberately misled.

I don't really want to touch the spoiler threads with a barge-pole but I'm curious as to what the strategy was behind misleading them? Was it a play on "ever are men deceived" or did they think that it would improve sales? Is book 4 written in that case - given the previous misinformation was that it was done and split in two.

Thanks for clearing things up folks as I was unaware of the split book not being a split book development.

Wait... I'm confused, and I ain't venturing to the spoilers thread...

It was 'always' planned to be 4 books? Doesn't seem to jive with all the information we received up to, well, June, with even Bakker supposedly uninformed as to the split or release date.

In other news, my copy from amazon was supposed to arrive yesterday, and apparently was delivered at 6:14 in the afternoon........ but no book. Not sure what's going on. I guess I can go complain to the Post Office on Monday. It's actually kinda a good thing, as I have to complete a paper and TGO would definitely distract from that.

Three more days until my order from German Amazon ships. I can feel it in the horizon, tracking the circle across the world described by international shipping. Anticipation, as the Ainoni say, is ever increased by an unpublished Kindle version.

4 hours ago, kuenjato said:

Wait... I'm confused, and I ain't venturing to the spoilers thread...

It was 'always' planned to be 4 books? Doesn't seem to jive with all the information we received up to, well, June, with even Bakker supposedly uninformed as to the split or release date.

In other news, my copy from amazon was supposed to arrive yesterday, and apparently was delivered at 6:14 in the afternoon........ but no book. Not sure what's going on. I guess I can go complain to the Post Office on Monday. It's actually kinda a good thing, as I have to complete a paper and TGO would definitely distract from that.

The short version is Bakker knew it was going to be split years ago and was doing contract renegotiation things, and messages got corssed and confused and maybe some lied and maybe someone didn't. Honestly I have no idea. Kalbear can give you a better breakdown I think.

From what I've been able to figure out - bakker has been mute on the subject - this is what happened.

2013-2014: bakker determined that TUC was too big and wanted to split it. His contract would not allow it. He started talking about splitting it at this point with overlook. 

2014 - bakker finished the manuscript to TGO for sure. In June he gave this (and only this) to madness and somnambulist to review. Madness decided that instead of telling everyone that this was the case, he would deliberately mislead the fans (his direct wording was troll the fans). Madness states that he has not read TUC and was given a manuscript titled TGO.

In Jan 2015 bakker gave a manuscript to overlook. It is unclear whether it was TGO and TUC or tgo. Negotiation to split the work began again, as his editor was gone. Bakker was still calling it TUC openly at this point.

In late 2015 the contract was renegotiated. At the time it was implied that the book was completed save for the big glossary. As far as I am aware no one has seen a finished manuscript of TUC.

In 2016 it was reported that TUC was still being worked on and as of last month more chapters were being added. This is in addition to the glossary. It has not been reported to have been handed off to any early readers or overlook.

12 hours ago, red snow said:

That's the case - think it's actually end of September. 

While it looks like book 4 should be next year I'd rather know book 4 is out before doing a reread of the series and doing book 4. I know I've forgotten a lot over the last 5 years (particularly with a dense series like this) and while I think a re-read will be fun/justified - there's too much other stuff out there to read for the first time for me to do re-reads everytime there's a 5 year gap. I'm not damaging sales by sitting on book 3 (although I guess not putting a review on amazon/goodreads could possibly damage sales in terms of people liking to see lots of good reviews)

I don't really want to touch the spoiler threads with a barge-pole but I'm curious as to what the strategy was behind misleading them? Was it a play on "ever are men deceived" or did they think that it would improve sales? Is book 4 written in that case - given the previous misinformation was that it was done and split in two.

Thanks for clearing things up folks as I was unaware of the split book not being a split book development.

I can't comment on how well book 3 stand on it's own though I'm happy to believe the claim that it does stand well on it's own.

Scott has confirmed in the interview just three weeks ago that TUC, book 4, will come out next year in July or August. I expect we will see the listing up on Amazon in a few weeks/ months as Overlook uploads their schedule ( currently up till April).

As far as we know TUC is basically finished but he says he 's still polishing it and buffing it up. He's also said back in January this year that the only thing requiring any serious work was finishing the the encyclopedic glossary.

In other words, the manuscript is done in principle but he's still tinkering with it as it's still a year away from release, and a publication date has actually been set, as per Scott.

Archived