Police killed at Dallas protest

DunderMifflin

1 minute ago, DunderMifflin said:

That it may not be completely irrational to have a fear of being shot when a person with a gun is addressing you.

It may not be.  But it usually is.

Are you also afraid of your car? 

2 minutes ago, Swordfish said:

I certainly have a fear of getting into an accident while driving it. Which leads me to take precautions such as watching other drivers around me or being careful turning onto a busy road. Things like that.

Also there's a bit of a difference in me choosing to put myself in the situation of being in a car and the completely uninvited and near powerless situation of being pulled over by police.

1 minute ago, DunderMifflin said:

I certainly have a fear of getting into an accident while driving it. Which leads me to take precautions such as watching other drivers around me or being careful turning onto a busy road. Things like that.

Sounds like you live a very frightened existence.

Missed these comments about black males and the police. Black men are absolutely told to comply with the police. Not just to avoid getting shot, but to avoid getting arrested on trumped-up charges.

I think what white folks fail to realize is what the day to day interactions with the police does to a person. The disrespect directed at black folks on a daily basis is demoralizing and dehumanizing. Imagine dealing with that shit on a daily basis. And then you can began to see where the rage comes from. 

Reports of more than one officer shot in Baton Rouge. I don't know if this tags on here or Alton Sterling for discussion  but I've just seen breaking tweets and headlines. Not sure the situation here. 

http://www.cnn.com/2016/07/17/us/baton-route-police-shooting/index.html

CNN now reporting 3 police officers dead, seven shot in Baton Rouge

5 minutes ago, kairparavel said:

Reports of more than one officer shot in Baton Rouge. I don't know if this tags on here or Alton Sterling for discussion  but I've just seen breaking tweets and headlines. Not sure the situation here. 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-36820782

3 confirmed now.    

35 minutes ago, mormont said:

Terrible news. :(

It says the 'situation is contained' - hopefully that means the shooter has been stopped.

Unfortunately 'this' situation may be contained, however i think it's likely the overall situation is not getting managed at all.  I hope i'm wrong but I don't see this being the end of it. 

2 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

Unfortunately 'this' situation may be contained, however i think it's likely the overall situation is not getting managed at all.  I hope i'm wrong but I don't see this being the end of it. 

You aren't wrong. Pandora's box has been lifted, and a lot of disassociated folks are going to be acting out. I hope that as a society we figure out a way react/respond that leads to positive change being implemented. If we don't, and if we continue answering violence with violence, the coming months and years are going to be very very grim. 

4 minutes ago, Relic said:

I hope that as a society we figure out how react/respond that leads to positive change being implemented.

I like Chris Rock's simple workaround. I don't believe the 2nd Amendment mentions anything about a right to cheap ammunition.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuX-nFmL0II

1 hour ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

I like Chris Rock's simple workaround. I don't believe the 2nd Amendment mentions anything about a right to cheap ammunition.

Without clicking on the link i can tell you that i love that bit. 

"Man, I'd kill your ass...if i could afford it!! I'm gonna go put some bullets on lay away..."

On 7/17/2016 at 0:59 PM, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

The same argument has been upheld to be unconstitutional with regards to voting taxes or other barriers to exercising rights.  It's very bad precedent without an amendment IMO.

21 hours ago, JonSnow4President said:

The same argument has been upheld to be unconstitutional with regards to voting taxes or other barriers to exercising rights.  It's very bad precedent without an amendment IMO.

The supreme court would stomp all over any kind of attempt to backdoor gun control that way.  just like they would if someone were to propose a required permit for assembly that had a prohibitory cost associated with it.

There is this from Heller:

"We must also address the District’s requirement (as applied to respondent’s handgun) that firearms in the home be rendered and kept inoperable at all times.  This makes it impossible for citizens to use them for the core lawful purpose of self-defense and is hence unconstitutional."

I can't imagine the result would be any different with any attempts to ban ammunition, even through defacto methods like increasing the cost of ammunition prohibitively.

or, more accurately, i can imagine it, but i hope we haven't gotten to the point where the court would abide something like that.

On 7/15/2016 at 8:15 PM, Swordfish said:

It may not be.  But it usually is.

Please tell me why this man is being irrationally afraid of an officer who entered his home without a warrant or without stating why he was entering the house and proceeded to arrest the man for resisting arrest.  You can hear the terror in his voice, dude, but I'm sure being nervous around officers is totally irrational.  

7 minutes ago, MerenthaClone said:

Please tell me why this man is being irrationally afraid of an officer who entered his home without a warrant or without stating why he was entering the house and proceeded to arrest the man for resisting arrest.  You can hear the terror in his voice, dude, but I'm sure being nervous around officers is totally irrational.  

You're right.  Clearly my point was that no person ever, under any circumstances, should feel any sense of fear at all when dealing with the police, but now I'm changing my opinion.

Thank you for opening my eyes on this topic.

Archived