Police killed at Dallas protest

DunderMifflin

12 minutes ago, Harakiri said:

He's a former Illinois congressman. 

He said " 3 Dallas cops killed, 7 wounded. This is now war. Watch out Obama. Watch out Black Lives Matters punks. Real America is coming for you." 

He deleted the tweet like the chicken shit he is and clearly was too much of a coward to say what he really meant so he used coded wording. Real America clearly implies White America. 

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/ct-joe-walsh-twitter-dallas-tweet-20160708-story.html

I wonder when the FBI and the Secret Service are going to show up on his doorstep to arrest him for threatening the President of the United States.

20 minutes ago, Harakiri said:

He's a former Illinois congressman. 

He said " 3 Dallas cops killed, 7 wounded. This is now war. Watch out Obama. Watch out Black Lives Matters punks. Real America is coming for you." 

He deleted the tweet like the chicken shit he is and clearly was too much of a coward to say what he really meant so he used coded wording. Real America clearly implies White America. 

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/ct-joe-walsh-twitter-dallas-tweet-20160708-story.html

I'm gonna take a wild stab in the dark and guess Republican.

3 minutes ago, R'hllors Red Lobster said:

Tea party republican!

What are the chances? Oh, well....just another fringe looney who in no way speaks to the party in general. It's a bit weird these folks keep popping up, becoming spokesmen, winning nominations, etc. but I digress.

Yay for Abraham Lincoln! He's what today's G.O.P. stands for, and no mistake. 

The eurocommie had it exactly right. This is what the 2nd Amendment is for. It's not so you and I can put holes in paper targets. It's not so my uncle Phil can go bag some geese on the weekend. It's specifically there so citizens can take up arms against their government. In other words, blood in the streets is not a bug. It is a feature. Remember what refreshes the tree of liberty?

Right-wing talking heads love to talk about the Founding Fathers, but they forget that the Founding Fathers were violent revolutionaries. The Revolutionary War was won with guerrilla tactics, with civilian-soldier snipers behind trees. This is the libertarian utopia.

10 minutes ago, Swordfish said:

Wow.  Some of you guys wasted no time hopping up on your political soapboxes here, huh?

Nothing like smugness in the face of tragedy to make one feel morally superior I guess......

Not sure how sadness and sentiment is going to fix this problem. At this point I think it's safe to say that this country has clearly shown that it is incapable of responsibly handling its' 2nd Amendment rights. I can't really envision a solution to this issue that isn't political.

In related news, a man killed one person and shot three others in Tennessee due to anger over Alton Sterling and Philando Castile. 

Scott began his rampage by firing through the glass windows of the Days Inn lobby on Volunteer Parkway, striking the clerk on duty. He then began to fire at passing vehicles.

When police officers arrived on the scene, Scott shot one, injuring him, but was then gunned down himself. He survived the confrontation and was taken by paramedics to a nearby hospital.

28 minutes ago, Swordfish said:

Wow.  Some of you guys wasted no time hopping up on your political soapboxes here, huh?

Nothing like smugness in the face of tragedy to make one feel morally superior I guess......

Well this is not random act-of-god type tragedy, totally divorced from other events. 

1 hour ago, Yagathai said:

The eurocommie had it exactly right. This is what the 2nd Amendment is for. It's not so you and I can put holes in paper targets. It's not so my uncle Phil can go bag some geese on the weekend. It's specifically there so citizens can take up arms against their government. In other words, blood in the streets is not a bug. It is a feature. Remember what refreshes the tree of liberty?

Right-wing talking heads love to talk about the Founding Fathers, but they forget that the Founding Fathers were violent revolutionaries. The Revolutionary War was won with guerrilla tactics, with civilian-soldier snipers behind trees. This is the libertarian utopia.

I was talking about this with someone at work and it's an interesting take on the whole affair. This is from the UK mind you, so we may see things differently over here.

The 2nd Amendment is there supposedly to protect the citizens from oppression by the government, to allow them to take up arms against a government they feel is putting their liberty and lives at risk. So in this instance black people are feeling oppressed and mistreated to the extent that they are getting murdered by the police.
Whether or not all black people feel the same doesn't really mater if a minority are now starting use their constitutional right to fight against the oppression by the police, who to them are merely an extension of the powers that be.
Of course the constitution says nothing about actually using said arms though...

I have to wonder how far down the rabbit hole this is going.

Also, how are gun advocates going to play this one? You could argue the guy was doing exactly what they argue the right to bear arms is for in the first place. But I guess they hate the fact it's someone on the "other side" that's decide to take it that far.

The 2nd Amendment is there supposedly to protect the citizens from oppression by the government, to allow them to take up arms against a government they feel is putting their liberty and lives at risk. 

I'd like to understand the actual basis of this belief. It isn't the text of the second amendment (militias are not used to stop oppression by the government typically now or in historical times) and isn't in most of the rulings on the amendment. It is certainly a talking point of the NRA, but as far as I can tell that started in the 1960s or 1970s. 

There are other theories that the 2nd amendment came about essentially to allow slaveholders to legally carry weapons so that they could enforce slavery. These are often dismissed by most historical scholars, but there is some reason to suspect that this was at least a consideration at the time. 

It's a shame because it seems like the Dallas police dept had implemented reforms dramatically reducing excessive force complaints in the past few years...

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/crime/2016/07/the_dallas_police_department_has_been_a_model_for_reducing_officer_involved.html

36 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Not sure how sadness and sentiment is going to fix this problem. At this point I think it's safe to say that this country has clearly shown that it is incapable of responsibly handling its' 2nd Amendment rights. I can't really envision a solution to this issue that isn't political.

I'm not sure there is a solution that can be directly applied without there being some sort of shift of consciousness of our entire society, whether rapid or by evolution. Government crackdowns tend to make things worse or create a whole new set of problems.

Thing is, right after a tragedy is THE worst time to rationally think about solutions to the problem. The Patriot Act got in that way. 

The problem is these shooting events are coming so fast and frequently that we as a society don't even have time to process and rationally think about them before another one happens.

34 minutes ago, Swordfish said:

I live on my soapbox, friend. I'll get off it next time we go a day without someone shooting someone else in the ol' USofA. I used to try hopping on and off with each incident, but as there have been roughly 27,435 incidents of gun violence in 2016 alone, frankly I didn't think my knees could take it. And I began to have this slight suspicion that if human-hunting gun advocates keep my off my box with every incident...why, I won't ever have time on my box. Almost as if they wanted me to never be allowed to get on my box.

And I like it up here.

1 minute ago, DunderMifflin said:

And that is a problem indeed.

Seems to me the Aussies managed the task fairly well, shortly after just such a tragedy. Not sure that this is a worthy excuse really. Honestly I feel that we should be rather ashamed as a country to have done nothing substantial after Sandy Hook. It's like we decided we love our guns more than we love our children. I realize that is a somewhat hyperbolic statement, but ultimately I think it's fair. 

Archived