US Elections - From Russia with Love

The Anti-Targ

I hate the way Dem supporters are talking about the debates already. We do this every time, we talk about how our candidate is going to kill the other candidate so much before the debate that all the GOP candidate has to do to come off as 'better than expected' or w/e is show up and not fall asleep. Debate after debate we do this and we never learn.

Presidential debates are not won/lost on academic points, but are exercises in optics. When it comes to optics, the pre/post-game period is as important as the game, maybe more. Building up expectations for your team and lowering them for the other can ONLY help the other. This is how Dubya 'won' or came close in so many debates he lost on paper, because we would do this...same with last election. 

36 minutes ago, Mexal said:

Their math is a bit misleading regarding the presidential debates versus NFL games. All 4 of the general election debates occur within the same year, so I'm not sure what the point is citing that there are 1,000 NFL games during that time period. I guess they're just citing relative rarity?

Just the fact that a presidential candidate is berating and being so disrespectful to a family who lost a son fighting in his country's wars is astounding.  Just so fucking unbelievable.   He would do so much better to show some grace and acknowledge their loss.

I might be overinterpretating stuff with regards to the Trump campaign and the GOP in general. But with regards to the Khan family, it looks like their sons life was a second rate sacrifice at best. The America Trump pictures looks a whole lot whiter (that's more Trump specific for Trump and his support), so why would Trump care what some Muslim wife thinks? I mean he has been race baiting throughout his whole campaign, so him showing respect to the Khan family would be somewhat out of character. As for the GOP as a whole, at some point it really does not matter anymore, whether they are clenching their fists in their pockets or not. At best they are willing to ignore accept racism if it means they get into the White House, at worst he is simply voicing what they think anyway. So this whole GOP with everybody involved has earnt that racist label. 

If this was about the GOP not shutting Trump up about a military family. The whole military patriotism and US flags look to be more like props anyway. You have that 9-11 first responder bill, and just recently you had this Tim Kaine's marine pin was infact not a Honduras flag. Not to mention the extreme right wings who run around with that star spangled banner and the constitution, but do not acknowledge the existence of the federal goverment. So letting the GOP define their patriotic feelings and American exceptionalism might be nearly as entertaining/enlightening as them trying to figure out what is actually conservative.

Trump is too stupid and narcissistic.  He was basically served an incredibly easy Clinton attack on a silver platter and couldn't manage it at all.  "I'm sorry for the loss of your son.  Isn't it terrible that Hillary was so involved in the decisions that sent your son into a warzone in the first place? Crooked Hillary is complicit in the death of Humayun Khan.  Under a Trump administration, we won't be sending our sons and daughters to be murdered in foreign wars."   That's it, that's all he has to say and the conversation shifts dramatically. 

Just now, Dr. Pepper said:

Trump is too stupid and narcissistic.  He was basically served an incredibly easy Clinton attack on a silver platter and couldn't manage it at all.  "I'm sorry for the loss of your son.  Isn't it terrible that Hillary was so involved in the decisions that sent your son into a warzone in the first place? Crooked Hillary is complicit in the death of Humayun Khan.  Under a Trump administration, we won't be sending our sons and daughters to be murdered in foreign wars."   That's it, that's all he has to say and the conversation shifts dramatically. 

Yeah, but then he'd have to show respect to a brown person who insulted him.

At the very least he could have said, in answer to the question posed by George Stephanopoulos, "There are very few people in the United States who have suffered the loss of a family member in war, and like the other 320 million people, I contribute by working hard.  I work so hard, I create jobs blah blah blah..."

12 minutes ago, White Walker Texas Ranger said:

Yeah, but then he'd have to show respect to a brown person who insulted him.

But that's the other part.  There's a missed opportunity to actually appear decent to brown people  His overt racism has been a thorn in the GOP's side this election cycle, but he could refute that without actually changing anything about his stance on minorities or Muslims.  Just "I'm sorry your son is dead (see how nice I am to brown folk and therefore not racist), oh btw it's all Hillary's fault (see how Hillary is a terrible person) and to all you others out there with kids, I won't send them to get killed (see how I'm a tough guy on foreign policy)."  

I mean a fucking silver platter and he just can't deal, and more, not a single person in his campaign can seem to advise him on how to at least pretend to be a normal, functioning, decent person.

I know after more than a year of this scumbag running, I shouldn't be surprised at anything he does, but I really still often am.  

19 minutes ago, Dr. Pepper said:

But that's the other part.  There's a missed opportunity to actually appear decent to brown people  His overt racism has been a thorn in the GOP's side this election cycle, but he could refute that without actually changing anything about his stance on minorities or Muslims.  Just "I'm sorry your son is dead (see how nice I am to brown folk and therefore not racist), oh btw it's all Hillary's fault (see how Hillary is a terrible person) and to all you others out there with kids, I won't send them to get killed (see how I'm a tough guy on foreign policy)."  

I mean a fucking silver platter and he just can't deal, and more, not a single person in his campaign can seem to advise him on how to at least pretend to be a normal, functioning, decent person.

I know after more than a year of this scumbag running, I shouldn't be surprised at anything he does, but I really still often am.  

How the hell does Trump say "I won't send them to be killed" when he's promising he will wipe out ISIS, FAST?  How does he wipe them out FAST without sending US troops, some of whom will die?  Wouldn't that make him the epitomy of stupid?

This article is almost two weeks old now, but it seems one of the better analyses of the present state of the Republican party to me. 

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-end-of-a-republican-party/

A lot of the demographic points in this article aren't new to me -- the idea that Republicans have moved in just the past 16 years to become even more the party of less-educated Whites than they were before is I think pretty common knowledge. What was new to me in the article were the quotes from House "Freedom Caucus" that seem to show an incredible naivete about Trump, sort of a combination of "the House can control the direction of his Presidency" along with "he's just throwing out ideas as discussion starters and really isn't that extreme on immigration".  The other part about the article I found noteworthy was a better explanation of how the "anti-Trumpites" within the party will have a very hard time getting together if he loses, having actually two completely different explanations for the Trump phenomenon:

If Trump lost, Soltis Anderson said — which seems at this point, not an unreasonable possibility — the factions in the party would only become more entrenched. It would not just be the Trump supporters vs. the Never Trumps; instead, Never Trump would be pitted against Never Trump in a civil war of the moral resistance. Lacking a common enemy, they would revert to their differences.

“On the one hand, you have the autopsy folks, right?” she said, referring to those who concur with the findings of a 2012 report that said, among other things, that the GOP should reach out to minority voters. “You have the people that look at Donald Trump and they go, ‘He’s alienating Latino voters, he’s doing damage to the brand, he’s looking backwards, not forwards, he’s the opposite of what we needed.’”

The other Never Trump faction — “the Ted Cruz folks, the conservative purists,” as Soltis Anderson put it — would disagree with the diagnosis of why Trump was bad for the party. “Their main argument with Trump is not that he’s mean to Latinos; their main argument with Trump is that he’s not really a conservative, he’s not really one of us,” she said. “When all is said and done, those two Never Trump forces are going to blame each other for his existence.”

P.S, If the above analysis is true, it implies to me that the Republicans would sort of be doomed to nominate a Trumpite candidate again in 2020. The "White nativist" people who supported Trump in the primary would seem to me to still be the biggest faction in a 3-way divide then. If the two factions who oppose them can't get together, they can't win the primary system as presently constituted. 

29 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

How the hell does Trump say "I won't send them to be killed" when he's promising he will wipe out ISIS, FAST?  How does he wipe them out FAST without sending US troops, some of whom will die?  Wouldn't that make him the epitomy of stupid?

I'm guessing this is a rhetorical question?  

He's had completely conflicting positions since nearly his first day.  His supporters don't seem to care.  But those who would normally vote Republican yet despise him sort of need a reason to get themselves to the polls Nov 8.  He's so stupid and narcissistic that he can't even pretend to pay lip service for that segment of voters.  A good chunk of campaigning is theater.  

Not that I mind, obviously.  My life is better off without him or his party in the driver's seat.  I'm just expressing a sense of continual shock that he's so useless, terrible and stupid.  

Archived