NFL Season 2016: The Shankapotomus Is Real!

Mr. Chatywin et al.

1 hour ago, Maithanet said:

Would have won the game?  Williams could have run out of bounds at approximately the Giants 45 and had between 6 and 8 seconds left on the clock, setting up 4th and 1.  They probably have time to attempt one more sideline play, but the GIants will assuredly be ready for it, and completing such a pass is challenging.  Alternatively they could send Bailey out for a 62 yarder straight away, but his career long is 56 yards. Neither the Successful 6 yard sideline route + 56 yard field goal or the 62 yard field goal to win are anything like sure things.  Even if we charitably assume Williams could have gotten out at the 44 yard line for a first down with 8 seconds left, I would still give the Cowboys less than 50% to win. 

Matter of opinion is all. Baily already hit from 56 yards in this game and had plenty of leg left.

So is Newton having to go through concussion protocol or are the Panthers trying to act like were back in the 1990's again? http://deadspin.com/nfl-and-nflpa-will-investigate-concussion-protocol-comp-1786497718

I can just see the snake aka Jerry Richardson saying, "Whats the damn problem, Cam said he was good to go, ya bunch of punks ?" 

41 minutes ago, Rhom said:

Just got a push notification from ESPN saying that Schefter is reporting RGIII suffered a "serious shoulder injury" yesterday.  At this point, I just feel bad for the guy.  :dunno: 

Looks like the RGIII experiment has come to a halt until week 10 at the earliest.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/09/12/browns-place-rg3-on-injured-reserve/

The Factory of Sadness consumes all.

1 minute ago, Joe Pesci said:

Looks like the RGIII experiment has come to a halt until week 10 at the earliest.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/09/12/browns-place-rg3-on-injured-reserve/

The Factory of Sadness consumes all.

Wow.  I hadn't had time to look up the specific injury.  For a guy who's mental state was already shaken up by injuries as it was, this has to be crushing to him.

45 minutes ago, Rhom said:

Wow.  I hadn't had time to look up the specific injury.  For a guy who's mental state was already shaken up by injuries as it was, this has to be crushing to him.

I think RGIII's legacy, sadly, is to end up the ultimate example of "health is a skill".  Not because he's brittle, though he is that, but because he never learned even the basics of how to protect himself. What really drove it home for me was preseason last year where he took like 4 sacks and 8 hits in a half and everyone thought the Skins line would be a disaster...and then Cousins comes in and is top 5 in the league in being sacked the least. It really made clear that you can't protect a guy who can't/won't protect himself both in terms of feeling pressure in the pocket and taking unnecessary hits when he's out in space.

Turned out to be the fatal flaw for one of the most gifted passers we've seen. I'm not sure he gets another chance because even as a backup, you're not sure you can count on him to make it through a game which is the worst kind of uncertainty. Whole thing is such a shame. 

I still think this is karma for Browns fans cheering when Couch was taken off with an injury.

At times like this, I like to remind everyone that Tim Couch is still the only QB to take the new Browns to the playoffs since their return to the league.  When looking at the totality of their futile attempt at being a football team, perhaps he deserves to be in the Hall of Fame for that heroic effort.

42 minutes ago, Rhom said:

Yeah, that is horrible news.  I was really hoping that Griffin could lead the Cleveland Browns to be just regular everyday 6-10 bad and not epically terrible this year.  Looks like that will not come to be. 

Also a real shame we won't get to see RG3 come back to DC as a starter (which would have happened in just a couple of weeks).  I'm sure his reception from the crowd would have been a very interesting mixture of anger, disappointment, regret and appreciation.  I actually considered trying to get tickets just to experience it, and I haven't gone to a game since Antwaan Randle El let a punt hit him in the face. 

13 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

I actually considered trying to get tickets just to experience it, and I haven't gone to a game since Antwaan Randle El let a punt hit him in the face. 

Being a fan of this team is too glamorous. Does it ever keep you up at night wondering when this endless gravy train of triumph and glory will come to an end? 

9 hours ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

I figure he wanted to make the kicking team run out there without the benefit of a timeout, but then thought better of it. Against a lesser team I think that would have been a good call. On 4th down Carson and the offense didn't seem to know if they were going for it for a few seconds, any other team in the AFC East would have fucked up that simple job of running out the kicker.

He actually explained his reasoning on this:

"I wasn't going to initially call it," Belichick said after the game, "but then it looked like they weren't in a big rush, that they were going to bleed it a little bit so if they had made it, [calling timeout] would've given us more time on the clock."

Belichick added: "If they would've run right out and lined up to kick it, then I don't think I would've taken the time out. Generally, I don't think you want to line up your field-goal team, and get it all set, and then make your kicker wait 20 seconds to kick it.

"I mean, you could theoretically, but most kickers don't like that. I don't really think that's the way to go personally. When they came out there, that's what I thought they were going to do was run right out and kick because it's fourth down. But then, the holder wasn't even down, the kicker was sort of 10 yards off to the side, warming up. It looked like they were going to bleed it down.

"I thought we could save maybe I don't know what was it 20 seconds or so on the 40 second clock? Somewhere in there. I thought we'd be able to save that. Obviously if the kick was no good, we're kneeling anyway so it didn't really make any difference. It would've only helped us if the kick had been good."

It's an interesting explanation: I'd have thought that the default thing to do was exactly what the Cardinals did (i.e. try to run out the clock), but it seems to have worked out for him.

11 minutes ago, Jaime L said:

Being a fan of this team is too glamorous. Does it ever keep you up at night wondering when this endless gravy train of triumph and glory will come to an end? 

I assume it will all be over when the Albert Haynesworth bust is unveiled in Canton. 

46 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

I assume it will all be over when the Albert Haynesworth bust is unveiled in Canton. 

No, we'll try to unveil Deion for his "great" couple years there. Maybe Bruce Smith.

I can hear Dan Snyder pitching it to Deion now, and Deion loving every second of it. Hell it actually might happen.

9 hours ago, Rockroi said:

-Its gotta be the Broncos, right?   

Right?

I took the total homer pick and said the Broncos were still a wild card team.  I even hedged it by saying in the AFC West the division wasn't out of the questions.  But even I knew that was a homer pick.

But AFC championship game?  Not out of the question.  I fully expect the Pats to be there again because I am not stupid enough not to.  So who does that leave?

Pitt- The most obvious choice.  But the defense hasn't added much.   And while the offense may have the best 'top 3' in the league both the QB and the RB are injury risks (not injury prone, but anyone with a MCL like Bell has a higher risk).

-Indy? Luck can carry them and carry them but at some point he needs a team.

-Cincy? - Look, how many hits did Dalton take?  You have to have an O-Line.  The only reason the Broncos got away with it last year is because while Manning couldn't play catch with his kids any more he could still see a blitz.  Can Dalton check out of a bad play regularly?  He better or he will join the injury parade.

-J E T S- Gotta see it. 

-KC/SD/Oak - Someday maybe.  But I am looking at three sad QB's who have to face Denver's D twice.

The money has to be split between Pitt and Denver, right?

10 minutes ago, l2 0 5 5 said:

This could be a long night of covering Jordan Reed. Wide open on 3rd and long twice. :mellow:

And Hines Ward wasn't a slot receiver, Jon. Maybe he meant Randle El.

I seem to recall him doing a lot of slot work at the end, though I may be mistaken.

13 minutes ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

I seem to recall him doing a lot of slot work at the end, though I may be mistaken.

Yeah they would sub him in there in different packages but the primary slot work went to Randle El when he was here. Coincidentally he left us for the Redskins after the 05-06 SB to sign an absolutely outrageous contract. Dan Snyder at his best.

Archived