U.S. Elections: 9,444 days

lokisnow

2 hours ago, Fez said:

So we'll see how it plays out the next few days, but for now I am officially panicking about the election for the first time.

And Comey should be impeached for interfering with the election; though he won't be of course.

The man literally stood three feet from me today at lunch time and he couldn't even give me a wink and a nod as to what was coming?  Bah.

24 minutes ago, Ormond said:

OK, IF (and I don't think we know for sure yet) it develops in the next couple of days that this is a tempest in a teapot and the investigation into HRC herself has really NOT been reopened, this could actually end up helping her by energizing her voters because of the perceived unfairness of the attack. 

But we won't know that for a couple of days at least, I'm sure.

I'm liking this idea in a therapeutic way.

17 minutes ago, The Great Unwashed said:

I imagine there's probably a lucrative Chuck Tingle-esque erotic literature series to be written using that exact sequence of events.

Only question would be what the first book in the series would be titled: "Engulfed by Her Vagina While Being Hunched by Her Engulfing Vagina"? 

Hunched! Yes!

26 minutes ago, Ormond said:

OK, IF (and I don't think we know for sure yet) it develops in the next couple of days that this is a tempest in a teapot and the investigation into HRC herself has really NOT been reopened, this could actually end up helping her by energizing her voters because of the perceived unfairness of the attack. 

But we won't know that for a couple of days at least, I'm sure.

Well, the Clinton campaign seems to think there's nothing damaging here and I think are getting ready to pushback pretty hard against the story.

Statement from John Podesta in Response to FBI Letter to GOP Congressional Chairmen
In response to the letter sent by FBI Director James Comey to eight Republican committee chairman in Congress, Hillary for America Chair John Podesta released the following statement Friday:  

"Upon completing this investigation more than three months ago, FBI Director Comey declared no reasonable prosecutor would move forward with a case like this and added that it was not even a close call. In the months since, Donald Trump and his Republican allies have been baselessly second-guessing the FBI and, in both public and private, browbeating the career officials there to revisit their conclusion in a desperate attempt to harm Hillary Clinton's presidential campaign.

"FBI Director Comey should immediately provide the American public more information than is contained in the letter he sent to eight Republican committee chairmen. Already, we have seen characterizations that the FBI is 'reopening' an investigation but Comey's words do not match that characterization. Director Comey's letter refers to emails that have come to light in an unrelated case, but we have no idea what those emails are and the Director himself notes they may not even be significant.

"It is extraordinary that we would see something like this just 11 days out from a presidential election. 
"The Director owes it to the American people to immediately provide the full details of what he is now examining. We are confident this will not produce any conclusions different from the one the FBI reached in July."

27 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

I have no idea why Comey's statement was so misleading.  I don't want to jump to conclusions, but it reads to me that he wanted people to misinterpret what he said and think that something damaging to Clinton was about to happen.  

Yeah, I think so, too. Honestly, I felt that Comey's been fairly hostile to HRC throughout this affair, so this didn't surprise me. I doubt it's going to affect very much either way; chances are that those who just can't get past this email nonsense have already cast their lot with Trump or Johnson or whomever. 

If Comey was required to promptly update Congress regarding his previous testimony, then I'm not sure he did anything wrong with his letter.  It clearly states that all the FBI is doing is reviewing some newly acquired emails to determine their relevance.  It doesn't imply anywhere that they are reopening the entire investigation.  That's on the media and others trying to push an agenda.  

Also, I don't see how including additional information, such as the emails coming from the Weiner sexting investigation, would really help anything.  That information is out anyway, but it doesn't really clarify anything with respect to Clinton.  It would have only sensationalized things even more than they already are if he put that in the original letter.  They need some time to review the emails.  Until they complete their review, I don't think it's appropriate to go into the contents of those emails in the initial letter.

If there are really only 3 emails that are relevant, then it shouldn't take long.  However, I'm a bit skeptical about the 3 emails number, because if there were really only 3, then there shouldn't be this much uncertainty regarding the length of the review.  Maybe they've currently identified at least 3 emails at this time, but there could be more pending a review of the thousands of emails discovered on Weiner's and Abedin's devices.  That would make more sense to me.

I think we'll get an update no later than the beginning of next week, if not earlier.  If there isn't an update before the day of election, then I would have a problem with Comey.

18 minutes ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

I am finding little and less humor since I caught up to the events of today.

Honestly, you are still in the same position you were before this happened. You are at the mercy of other people and how they vote. I doubt this will move needles too much one way or the other this close to the election.

The time Anthony Weiner DMed HRC by mistake.  @mark_dow 

14 minutes ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

I am finding little and less humor since I caught up to the events of today.

Remember this:

-So far this news seems less bad than the news in July (yes, Comey closed the investigation then but used a lot of negative language about Clinton); its possibly not even bad news at all in the end.

-Clinton's poll numbers went down about 2 points after the news in July.

-If Clinton's poll numbers go down 2 points right now; she'd be around +4 nationally.

-After seeing more reporting as further news has come out, I don't think Clinton's numbers go down 2 points.

-Its hard to know the exact number, but it seems around 20% of voters have already voted. Their votes can't change.

41 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

This just became the greatest dick joke in an election replete with them. It is a seminal moment. Penis.

Pfft, Americans are amateurs. When we Brits want to dickorise a story cycle, we have a story about the Prime Minister sticking his cock in a dead pig's mouth.

Mind you, given Trump's habit of immediately one-upping any potential bad news for Hillary with far more spectacular news of his own, we're probably about to find out that he was the pig.

ps you missed the chance to call it a semenal moment. You're welcome.

Archived