Watch, Watched, Watching: There are 17,000 new TV shows to watch and I have the weekend

Howdyphillip

16 minutes ago, Dr. Pepper said:

yes, damn that feminists for, you know, thinking and objecting to things like the glorification and rewarding of rape culture.  The ending negated every single thing about the film, plus it was truly horrific.  

Yeah of course.. its glorifying rape culture... :rolleyes:.

You pretty much just proved my point.

13 minutes ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

Yeah of course.. its glorifying rape culture... :rolleyes:.

You pretty much just proved my point.

It is though? 

He forces her against her own will - so overrules her body autonomy and destroys her life because he wanted to, because he was lonely. She is forced to spend her life with this person who completely put his needs above her own.

I'm not really sure what is so preposterous about that - it disturbs me that some people don't have a problem with the incredibly selfish, destructive thing he did. 

2 minutes ago, Theda Baratheon said:

It is though? 

Hide contents

He forces her against her own will - so overrules her body autonomy and destroys her life because he wanted to, because he was lonely. She is forced to spend her life with this person who completely put his needs above her own.

I'm not really sure what is so preposterous about that - it disturbs me that some people don't have a problem with the incredibly selfish, destructive thing he did. 

Spoiler

So anytime someone forces someone to do something against their will in a movie its about Rape culture all of a sudden? Come on.
She describes it herself.. as murder. 

1 minute ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:
  Reveal hidden contents

So anytime someone forces someone to do something against their will in a movie its about Rape culture all of a sudden? Come on.
She describes it herself.. as murder. 

No but when something is a direct attack on someone's body autonomy and asserting their will over someone's body it's part of the CULTURE even if it's not necessarily the act itself though I think it's a good parallel. I think it works as a metaphor for either murder or rape tbh. 

And by the way if the genders were reversed I would be equally as disgusted??? I don't see this as a "feminist" issue. 

This seems more an issue of a poster not understanding what rape culture is.  Probably could do with a thread on the topic in gen chat.

Right now I feel like there's nothing to watch.  I can't seem to find a new show or movie I'm interested in.  It's like having the premium cable package and flipping through every station but still being bored.  I have all the major streaming services, but nothing is enticing me.  It's like I've watched it all already.  

9 minutes ago, Dr. Pepper said:

This seems more an issue of a poster not understanding what rape culture is.  Probably could do with a thread on the topic in gen chat.

Right now I feel like there's nothing to watch.  I can't seem to find a new show or movie I'm interested in.  It's like having the premium cable package and flipping through every station but still being bored.  I have all the major streaming services, but nothing is enticing me.  It's like I've watched it all already.  

What big shows have you watched and what are your fave genres!!! 

9 minutes ago, Theda Baratheon said:

No but when something is a direct attack on someone's body autonomy and asserting their will over someone's body it's part of the CULTURE even if it's not necessarily the act itself though I think it's a good parallel. I think it works as a metaphor for either murder or rape tbh. 

And by the way if the genders were reversed I would be equally as disgusted??? I don't see this as a "feminist" issue. 

It only works as a metaphor if you are directly stretching its meaning to fit your argument. Its far closer to murder which was stated in the movie. Any cultural inputs to what you are seeing are really just your own associations.

9 minutes ago, Dr. Pepper said:

You could try but such a topic would get closed down in 10 minutes and everyone Involved would be banned , those discussions are not tolerated on here 

It only works as a metaphor if you are directly stretching its meaning to fit your argument. Its far closer to murder which was stated in the movie. Any cultural inputs to what you are seeing are really just your own associations.

You could try but such a topic would get closed down in 10 minutes and everyone Involved would be banned , those discussions are not tolerated on here 

No; not really. I think that's a bit unfair of you to state. I havent pulled that idea out of my arse. I've stated why I think it's a good parallel - because it's an attack on someone's body and overriding their own body autonomy which does also work for murder except she is alive to feel and understsnd the implications of his actions and how they have affected her so I still think it's a good parallel to rape. 

2 minutes ago, Theda Baratheon said:

No; not really. I think that's a bit unfair of you to state. I havent pulled that idea out of my arse. I've stated why I think it's a good parallel - because it's an attack on someone's body and overriding their own body autonomy which does also work for murder except she is alive to feel and understsnd the implications of his actions and how they have affected her so I still think it's a good parallel to rape. 

When ever someone forces you to do something you don't want to do then it's an attack on your body autonomy. You could aim that at anything. 

3 minutes ago, Theda Baratheon said:

What big shows have you watched and what are your fave genres!!! 

Hmm, I feel like I've watched it all.  Almost every major Netflix show, the dramas specifically.  I skip out on a lot of the police procedurals and sitcoms because they aren't my thing. I'm into sci-fi, fantasy, post-apocalyptic, dystopian.  So I' currently watch stuff like The 100, The Expanse, even The Walking Dead.  I'm into things like The OA, Orphan Black, The Americans.  There's a bunch of time travel shows on lately and I think I've watched all of them. I have recently tried watching Westworld and The Leftovers but I'm just not digging them.  I haven't seen a lot of movies recently aside from watching old ones.  Usually in the genres I listed above.  I used to be really into superhero comics stuff, but it's oversaturated so I'm burned out on it.  

I watch too much tv lol.

They are tolerated here just fine.  The feminist threads have discussed rape culture plenty.

Overt pro-rapist and misogynists might have problems, though so I can understand your reservations about such a topic.  But, ya know, you wouldn't have to participate.  

/discussion

3 minutes ago, Dr. Pepper said:

Hmm, I feel like I've watched it all.  Almost every major Netflix show, the dramas specifically.  I skip out on a lot of the police procedurals and sitcoms because they aren't my thing. I'm into sci-fi, fantasy, post-apocalyptic, dystopian.  So I' currently watch stuff like The 100, The Expanse, even The Walking Dead.  I'm into things like The OA, Orphan Black, The Americans.  There's a bunch of time travel shows on lately and I think I've watched all of them. I have recently tried watching Westworld and The Leftovers but I'm just not digging them.  I haven't seen a lot of movies recently aside from watching old ones.  Usually in the genres I listed above.  I used to be really into superhero comics stuff, but it's oversaturated so I'm burned out on it.  

I watch too much tv lol.

They are tolerated here just fine.  The feminist threads have discussed rape culture plenty.

Overt pro-rapist and misogynists might have problems, though so I can understand your reservations about such a topic.  But, ya know, you wouldn't have to participate.  

/discussion

I'm watching 100 at the moment and I love it!!! Black Sails is excellent TV - dunno if it's your thing but it's brilliant same with vikings - nice mix of history and fiction /legend! Both on amazon prime... Yeah the oa was amazing I loved that I'm assuming you watched stranger things as well ! 

8 minutes ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

When ever someone forces you to do something you don't want to do then it's an attack on your body autonomy. You could aim that at anything. 

Nope. That isn't true though and you're the one thats stretching things to work with your point of view. 

Still on my learning more about wine kick, I watched Somm: Into The Bottle last night. I'm a homebrewer and beer writer in my spare time and I'm friends with a few beer sommeliers. It's fascinating how wine is both more and less complex than beer. This was a great documentary, which was structured and organised well. If you're a keen amateur like me I think you'll enjoy it and learn something. 

Gomorrah season one is fucking brutal. The direction and sound design are top notch. The violence is overwhelming at times. No one on the show is likable and there isnt anyone to root for really but that doesnt bother me much. Wish season two was on Netflix as well :/

Oh, on Friday night we watched Blackhat. I honestly thought it was going to be one of those so bad it's good films. After a long week, I was shattered and just wanted to eat takeaway, drink 1.5 beers, and watch a terrible film... Well, this film was beyond terrible. It also featured a tragic 'romance' with zero chemistry that was awful to behold. It's a film about cybercrime and it's just too awful. Please don't waste your time on it. 

4 hours ago, Isis said:

Still on my learning more about wine kick, I watched Somm: Into The Bottle last night. I'm a homebrewer and beer writer in my spare time and I'm friends with a few beer sommeliers. It's fascinating how wine is both more and less complex than beer. This was a great documentary, which was structured and organised well. If you're a keen amateur like me I think you'll enjoy it and learn something. 

This was a great documentary as was Somm. It was a great companion piece to my recent trip to Napa and it was really good to see some of the people from the first documentary pop up in the second. 

1 hour ago, Isis said:

Oh, on Friday night we watched Blackhat. I honestly thought it was going to be one of those so bad it's good films. After a long week, I was shattered and just wanted to eat takeaway, drink 1.5 beers, and watch a terrible film... Well, this film was beyond terrible. It also featured a tragic 'romance' with zero chemistry that was awful to behold. It's a film about cybercrime and it's just too awful. Please don't waste your time on it. 

One of the worst movies I've seen. It was horrendous. 

3 hours ago, Mark Antony said:

Gomorrah season one is fucking brutal. The direction and sound design are top notch. The violence is overwhelming at times. No one on the show is likable and there isnt anyone to root for really but that doesnt bother me much. Wish season two was on Netflix as well :/

I really liked Gomorrah season one, and wished intensely that there was season 2 to watch immediately.    I loved looking at Naples and the surrounding regions.

Looking forward to watching Greenleaf, now streaming on netflix, Oprah Winfrey's black mega church family drama series from last fall, which a lot of people I respect liked very much.  It looks great, and not only because of the high quality of production.  The cast is excellent, and includes Oprah, who is, really, a very good actress.

Just watched Sarmasik (2015), a Turskish film. It's a drama/thriller about a crew being stranded in a boat due to the company they work for bankrupting. The last part of the movie is full of symbolisms that I bet if you're able to understand them, it adds something more to the movie. Too bad I missed a great part of them. Normally I would go to the messages board in imbd to double check, but they closed that section of the page. 

Overall, it's a good movie, with suspense, and it leaves the door open for several interpretations. It's the kind of movie that after watching it you need to exchange opinions with another viewer. 

@Theda Baratheon My Netflix doesn't have What we do in the shadows :crying: 

In fact, what bothers me most about Netflix is not its catalogue, but its annoying movie browser. It keeps suggesting me over and over the same movies under different categories, that sometimes make no sense. I know free online movie pages with better browsing systems than Netflix, where I can even mark the movies I've seen so the page stops showing them. (Rant over)

Gods yes, Netflix has such a terrible interface.  It seems so juvenile and useless.  I don't give a fuck about the shit I've already seen but that's practically all they show me along with a handful of movies and shows I've already decided I'm not gonna check out.  

Archived