Star Wars Rebels: How Does the Force Really Work? (spoilers for everything Star Wars)

Corvinus85

2 hours ago, felice said:

...Or she should have been expecting the shot, and deflected the bolt back at him herself. Turning your back on a humiliated and armed enemy of dubious honour isn't exactly a smart move.

I'd be surprised if she doesn't end up doing that eventually. Though I guess she did explicitly reject the "Mandalorian Way", which doesn't seem like a step towards their leadership...

Really good point about the deflection. That would've been even better! But I guess they put mommy saving her in there as a way of showing she's not a total shit parent.

And agreed on the mixed signals in regards to Sabine wanting to, or being able to, lead her people. Then again, that's probably an accurate portrayal of how the character is feeling. She didn't want this burden of leadership last episode, and will pass on the Dark Saber and its responsibilities to someone else. But the struggle to find someone worthy of wielding it is real. #mandalorproblems

9 hours ago, PetyrPunkinhead said:

Really good point about the deflection. That would've been even better! But I guess they put mommy saving her in there as a way of showing she's not a total shit parent.

And agreed on the mixed signals in regards to Sabine wanting to, or being able to, lead her people. Then again, that's probably an accurate portrayal of how the character is feeling. She didn't want this burden of leadership last episode, and will pass on the Dark Saber and its responsibilities to someone else. But the struggle to find someone worthy of wielding it is real. #mandalorproblems

If only there was a Fett out there somewhere...

On 20/02/2017 at 11:28 AM, PetyrPunkinhead said:

Regarding S3E15

Damn. That ending was bittersweet. I hate to see Sabine leave the crew. Kinda wish they would've went a different way though if they were gonna have her leave the Rebellion to stay with her family anyway. She should've dealt Saxon a death blow while fighting and not just got him on his knees to set up that cliched moment when we think the hero gets shot in the back but really it's the villain that gets killed. If they were gonna keep Sabine intertwined in Mandalor politics anyway, why not let her truly be the one to wield the Dark Saber and begin to lead her people? It kinda felt like a step back from the progress she made with Kanan's training last episode.

I agree with you overall, but I also get that they were directly referencing Anakin and Dooku and wanted to showcase a very different choice to his. Not sure how to read where her plot is going in regards to wielding it herself vs finding someone worthy. If Mandalore winds up joining the assault at the end of the season they might get wiped out to the point of playing no further role in the Rebellion? Do we actually have canon on how involved they were?

Sorry, I didn't watch Clone Wars that closely so this Mandalore plotline doesn't matter to me in the least. It's hugely opaque and byzantine without having a lot of payoff. 

I'm sorry to see Sabine go because I liked her as a character, but not sorry at all to see the Mandalore plotline done.

Enjoyed this episode quite a bit. I still find Thrawn annoying, and would rather like someone to just come up behind him and give him a wedgie, but the game-playing was fun to watch. Naturally, we've seen very very many Star Wars products that involve the protagonists looking for clearance codes while trapped on an enemy ship, but this problem aside, it was solid. 

Anyone else think Thrawn had memorized the star chart, and thus realized where the rebel base was based on which planet had been deleted?

Worried for Kallas though. I fear he's unlikely to survive the season - a pity, since I love his voice acting and he could be a great addition to the main crew or regular guest in another capacity. Will miss him if he gets killed after realizing that Thrawn is using him to betray the rebels. 

On 27/02/2017 at 1:04 AM, dog-days said:

Anyone else think Thrawn had memorized the star chart, and thus realized where the rebel base was based on which planet had been deleted?

Worried for Kallas though. I fear he's unlikely to survive the season - a pity, since I love his voice acting and he could be a great addition to the main crew or regular guest in another capacity. Will miss him if he gets killed after realizing that Thrawn is using him to betray the rebels. 

Bolded -  I definitely think he knew it had been changed, I'm not sure if he knows which planet was deleted though. Manipulating Fulcrum could be to facilitate setting up the attack if he does know, or it could be to find out the planet if he didn't memorise it. Either way I'm glad he saw straight through the patsy thing and knows its Kallas, even though I'm worried for him as well now.

On 2/26/2017 at 8:04 AM, dog-days said:

Chopper also added a decoy planet, not just delete the rebel base planet. So it depends what kind of decoy it is. Is it a planet that's out of position, or is it a planet marked as uninhabitable? Either way, if Thrawn memorized the map to the last detail, it is likely he will catch it. Or, it Thrawn had been smart enough to make a copy and save it on another computer, then he could compare the two.

But I do think him manipulating Kallus will ultimately lead to the discovery of the rebel base.

Through Imperial Eyes

This is one of my favorite episodes of the season and maybe even of the series. It was a solid bit of TV from start to finish. I love how the writers on Rebels can be such good ELA students when they want to be and show and not tell us things as an audience--I'm referring to Thrawn specifically here.

I haven't read the EU stuff on him, just know what I get from others speaking about him, but I felt this episode was the most revealing about Thrawn. His training with the droids, deducing that Kallus was the spy, and how cool and even tempered he remained throughout all of that shows he is definitely a formidable opponent. Perhaps too formidable. *duhn-duhn-duuuhhhnnnnn*

And perhaps best of all, I finally learned WTF those cylinders are on the Imperial uniforms! And judging from his R1 look, Bale Organa is one important hombre to have three of those!

On 2/20/2017 at 9:23 AM, Joe Pesci said:

If only there was a Fett out there somewhere...

Yeah, they badass and all, those Fetts, but are they rulers? Nah. ;)

22 minutes ago, PetyrPunkinhead said:

Through Imperial Eyes

This is one of my favorite episodes of the season and maybe even of the series. It was a solid bit of TV from start to finish. I love how the writers on Rebels can be such good ELA students when they want to be and show and not tell us things as an audience--I'm referring to Thrawn specifically here.

I haven't read the EU stuff on him, just know what I get from others speaking about him, but I felt this episode was the most revealing about Thrawn. His training with the droids, deducing that Kallus was the spy, and how cool and even tempered he remained throughout all of that shows he is definitely a formidable opponent. Perhaps too formidable. *duhn-duhn-duuuhhhnnnnn*

And perhaps best of all, I finally learned WTF those cylinders are on the Imperial uniforms! And judging from his R1 look, Bale Organa is one important hombre to have three of those!

I'm not incredibly familiar with Thrawn, having read only the first novel in Zahn's trilogy, but apparently one Easter egg was the code name he had for shutting down the droids which in the EU is the name of Thrawn's Noghri assassin.

3 hours ago, PetyrPunkinhead said:

Through Imperial Eyes

Yeah I really enjoyed this episode as well. They've done a pretty good job of capturing Thrawn as he was in the old EU imo. If you get a chance go back and read the Thrawn Trilogy, it's fantastic.

3 hours ago, PetyrPunkinhead said:

I saw an article a day or two after I posted that with I think either Hidalgo or Filoni ruling Fett out, saying something along the lines that they weren't Mandalorian, and just claimed they were from Concord Dawn, thus ending any Fett speculation. Maybe they were blowing smoke, who knows? Perhaps they might bring back Fenn Shysa into the canon, but I have a feeling they are done with Mandalore until next season.

7 hours ago, Joe Pesci said:

Yeah I really enjoyed this episode as well. They've done a pretty good job of capturing Thrawn as he was in the old EU imo. If you get a chance go back and read the Thrawn Trilogy, it's fantastic.

I saw an article a day or two after I posted that with I think either Hidalgo or Filoni ruling Fett out, saying something along the lines that they weren't Mandalorian, and just claimed they were from Concord Dawn, thus ending any Fett speculation. Maybe they were blowing smoke, who knows? Perhaps they might bring back Fenn Shysa into the canon, but I have a feeling they are done with Mandalore until next season.

I don't have enough time or desire to read the EU novels, but a friend did lend me the Dark Horse comic adaptation a while back when Thrawn was announced for S3. I still need to get around to reading those.

And there's only five episodes left this season, right? If so, you're probably right about not seeing Sabine or the Mandalore plot again until S4. They could always work in Sabine for the finale though. They're kinda corny that way on Rebels.

This was a strong episode. What clinched it for me was how Thrawn didn't fall for the scapegoat at all - if he had it would have diminished the episode as the spy wouldn't be so stupid to use their own access passess. But he did which means they've yet again managed to keep Thrawn as a credible villain because the Rebels perceived "victories" are part of Thrawn's long game. Great character and one the films should seriously consider using if they ever visit a time-frame where he could exist.

I get the impression that Thrawn will certainly win the season with the capture of the rebel base. I wonder if he'll get hold of any of the crew?

Hopefully no cutesy episodes now as I'm guessing they have to squeeze Maul and Kenobi in as well as the rebel base capture in just a few episodes. It's great how the show is at a point where there are several interesting arcs going on at the same time.

15 hours ago, Corvinus said:

I'm not incredibly familiar with Thrawn, having read only the first novel in Zahn's trilogy, but apparently one Easter egg was the code name he had for shutting down the droids which in the EU is the name of Thrawn's Noghri assassin.

Plus that Thrawn's Star Destroyer is named Chimaera, the same as it was named in the Thrawn Trilogy.

Yaaaasssss...follow up a fantastic episode with another flipping fantastic one...and pulling so many threads together to show how we got to, at least, Rogue One, if not the original trilogy as a whole...

3 hours ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Yaaaasssss...follow up a fantastic episode with another flipping fantastic one...and pulling so many threads together to show how we got to, at least, Rogue One, if not the original trilogy as a whole...

yeah this felt like a lynchpin of the original trilogy and Rogue One. I have to hand it to the producers ensuring a string of episodes that feed into Rogue One quite well. They also did a great job of showing us how divided the rebellion is with the likes of the Ghost crew being rebels within the rebels.

Glad to read they've got a fourth season as the show has really come into its own over the course of this season.

35 minutes ago, red snow said:

yeah this felt like a lynchpin of the original trilogy and Rogue One. I have to hand it to the producers ensuring a string of episodes that feed into Rogue One quite well. They also did a great job of showing us how divided the rebellion is with the likes of the Ghost crew being rebels within the rebels.

Glad to read they've got a fourth season as the show has really come into its own over the course of this season.

Yes, this is definitely doing a great job of leading into the original Star Wars movies.  Also, it shows how Kanan and Ezra laid the groundwork for Luke rising so quickly in the rebellion as they showed how valuable even a partially trained Jedi could be.  With them being dead or unavailable by the time Rogue One happens, the sudden appearance of a new Jedi would have fittingly been "a New Hope"

I think the thing that I was most impressed with was that Disney/Lucasfilm gave such a huge moment like the beginning of the formation of the Rebellion as we know it from the movies to Rebels instead of it being done in a book or comic format. It speaks volumes for what the show is accomplishing and to the future of SW on the small screen.

Archived