NFL: The Politics of Superb Owls or Trumping the Fail-Cons

Manhole Eunuchsbane

Well SF fans, at least they made a decision and now you know what you have. And realistically, he can't be any worse than the last former player with zero experience that got pulled out of the commentator booth to be a GM right? I mean, no way that Lynch out Millens Millen right?

Wow, I think Jed York must have edited his own Wikipedia entry. Check this out:

Harbaugh's childish behavior on the sidelines of games drew such scorn from NFL fans and media, York had no choice but to fire him. Moreover, Harbaugh's stubbornness to keep Greg Roman (who was causing the 49ers offense to play poor) also led to Harbaugh's firing.

See? Jed had no choice but to fire the only good coach his team's had this millennium (not sure if Mooch counts). Also he was friends with Greg Roman, who is a poopy head that made the offense bad.

1 hour ago, DanteGabriel said:

See? Jed had no choice but to fire the only good coach his team's had this millennium (not sure if Mooch counts). Also he was friends with Greg Roman, who is a poopy head that made the offense bad.

Hah!  That's actually what it says there????  You would almost think that Jed would be one of those Wikipedia articles that has to be locked because of constant tampering.

I'm quasi okay with Lynch I think as long as what we actually wind up with is Shanny the Younger controlling the roster.  If Lynch can get a strong personnel guy in there to run the scouting department, then he can focus on the bigger picture of instilling the right kind of football culture into the organization.  Now, if Lynch is the guy going out there and deciding to draft a wide receiver with a top 5 pick three years in a row outside advice be damned like Millen... well then, we have problems.

1 hour ago, DanteGabriel said:

Jed York is a savvy Silicon Valley billionaire. He's skilled at manipulating online media to his ends. 

I do appreciate you causing me to visit Jed York's wikipedia page because it also reminded me of this gem: "Trent Baalke replaced former head coach Jim Harbaugh with Jim Tomsula, but Jed supported the change comparing it to the Golden State Warriors firing Mark Jackson and replacing him with Steve Kerr"

3 hours ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Ugh, that article is annoying.  If a physics professor from a reputable university (who is an Eagles fan) can confidently say that science says no air was removed from the balls, then there is room for pushback. I can find at least one other example of peer review saying the Wells report is flawed, but only the organization behind the Wells report saying it was appropriate. 

Have you ever seen anything from seemingly unbiased peers claiming there is no basis to the Noisegate scandal?

4 minutes ago, JonSnow4President said:

Ugh, that article is annoying.  If a physics professor from a reputable university (who is an Eagles fan) can confidently say that science says no air was removed from the balls, then there is room for pushback. I can find at least one other example of peer review saying the Wells report is flawed, but only the organization behind the Wells report saying it was appropriate. 

Have you ever seen anything from seemingly unbiased peers claiming there is no basis to the Noisegate scandal?

Okay, the science here is pretty much completely irrelevant, as the measurements that were taken were taken incorrectly. The NFL admitted this. There were upwards of 4 different gauges that were used to measure the balls when there was supposed to be one. So you can't accurately apply the science. I like the main point of the article in that I do think it underlines an important facet of this whole mess. Had the Pats just taken their medicine, I think the punishment would've been likely a fine and a one game suspension for Brady. Instead they circled the wagons, and Goodell then dropped the hammer. If it never happened, why does the equipment guy refer to himself as "the deflater"? Why is he pressing his boss for merchandise from Brady? 

1 minute ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Okay, the science here is pretty much completely irrelevant, as the measurements that were taken were taken incorrectly. The NFL admitted this. There were upwards of 4 different gauges that were used to measure the balls when there was supposed to be one. So you can't accurately apply the science. I like the main point of the article in that I do think it underlines an important facet of this whole mess. Had the Pats just taken their medicine, I think the punishment would've been likely a fine and a one game suspension for Brady. Instead they circled the wagons, and Goodell then dropped the hammer. If it never happened, why does the equipment guy refer to himself as "the deflater"? Why is he pressing his boss for merchandise from Brady? 

As far as I recall, there were only 2 gauges.  One made readings of a start level that would be consistent with the ideal gas law (logo gauge), while one made readings consistent with a bigger drop (non logo gauge).  Despite the ref saying he used the logo gauge to test the PSI at the start of the game, the Wells report assumed he used the non logo gauge. The only time multiple gauges were used was to double check at halftime.  

If we play the motive and circumstantial evidence game, how come the NFL didn't correct known patently false information it's sources had leaked for something like a week despite constant urging by the Patriots organization? How come the Wells investigative team makes assumptions about things in doubt that only favor the case against the Pats, even if the ref's memory or logic (you ran out of time testing the Colts footballs, you didn't test them early in halftime) says the other is more likely (and remarkably exonerates the Pats)? How come the NFL has ignored other ball tampering violations as recently as the year before the event and has continued to do that with other teams? How come the NFL has not released air pressure readings from its audits since Deflategate? Why does the NFL emphasize a nickname used exactly once in May of 2014 when the text conversation has nothing to do with football? Why is a staff member asking for 3 items (over time) autographed from a person widely considered to be the best to ever play the game or being on a Christmas list with a dozen other staff members evidence of a scheme? 

9 minutes ago, JonSnow4President said:

As far as I recall, there were only 2 gauges.  One made readings of a start level that would be consistent with the ideal gas law (logo gauge), while one made readings consistent with a bigger drop (non logo gauge).  Despite the ref saying he used the logo gauge to test the PSI at the start of the game, the Wells report assumed he used the non logo gauge. The only time multiple gauges were used was to double check at halftime.  

If we play the motive and circumstantial evidence game, how come the NFL didn't correct known patently false information it's sources had leaked for something like a week despite constant urging by the Patriots organization? How come the Wells investigative team makes assumptions about things in doubt that only favor the case against the Pats, even if the ref's memory or logic (you ran out of time testing the Colts footballs, you didn't test them early in halftime) says the other is more likely (and remarkably exonerates the Pats)? How come the NFL has ignored other ball tampering violations as recently as the year before the event and has continued to do that with other teams? How come the NFL has not released air pressure readings from its audits since Deflategate? Why does the NFL emphasize a nickname used exactly once in May of 2014 when the text conversation has nothing to do with football? Why is a staff member asking for 3 items (over time) autographed from a person widely considered to be the best to ever play the game or being on a Christmas list with a dozen other staff members evidence of a scheme? 

Right, they needed to use the same gauge pre-game as they did at the half, otherwise you don't have an accurate control. You can't apply the Ideal Gas Law as your base readings are faulty to begin with.

Yeah, the league fucked up many aspects of this investigation, for sure. The leaks alone were ridiculous. That said, how you can parse "the deflater" into anything other than this guy was deflating footballs, then I don't know what to tell you. Why did Brady lie about not knowing who the equipment guy was. (Despite the fact that the dude had his cellphone number) Why did the Pats agree to fire these two schlubs if nothing occurred? Why was "the deflater" taking balls of bags into a bathroom after taking them from the refs? It happened. 

Would it have held up in court? No, but the NFL didn't have to take it to court. 

3 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Right, they needed to use the same gauge pre-game as they did at the half, otherwise you don't have an accurate control. You can't apply the Ideal Gas Law as your base readings are faulty to begin with.

Yeah, the league fucked up many aspects of this investigation, for sure. The leaks alone were ridiculous. That said, how you can parse "the deflater" into anything other than this guy was deflating footballs, then I don't know what to tell you. Why did Brady lie about not knowing who the equipment guy was. (Despite the fact that the dude had his cellphone number) Why did the Pats agree to fire these two schlubs if nothing occurred? Why was "the deflater" taking balls of bags into a bathroom after taking them from the refs? It happened. 

Would it have held up in court? No, but the NFL didn't have to take it to court. 

I've been called "hacker" at my previous job because I had an excel macro I found on Google (and new enough VB to read what it was doing) capable of breaking passwords on older versions of Excel that I found online. (Kept typing in different combinations of A and a for a password that Excel read as whatever it actually was).   But yup, me being called hacker for a couple days while working for the audit team of an oilfield services firm would totally be reasonable evidence that my accounting firm was involved with the the fraud case for an electronics manufacturing company I charged a single hour to over a year later.  

Please tell me why the f*** a guy whose super secret scheme job is to deflate footballs would call himself the deflator once 7 months prior to the events when the NFL is not in session, never talk to anyone else about it remotely again (proof it was a secret scheme), but then suddenly start talking about it with his "other schemers" after it is all over the news (also somehow proof it was a scheme).  

As far as the gauges, we do know one of the two was used.  We know the Colts and Pats both started +/- 13.0 and 12.5 PSI respectively (and that in a previous MMQB segment being filmed, it literally is a "close enough" standard).  We know that the one the referee recalls using matches the ideal gas law. Full stop. We know the other set of readings does not match what the laws of physics predict.  Full stop. Oh, but what about the Colt's balls you say.  Well, that gauge also matches the ideal gas law + Exponent's own experimental data on the warming of wet vs dry footballs as long as you assume that the Colt's balls were measured at the end of the half (a reasonable assumption since they ran out of time to test them) as opposed to the Wells report which assumes they were measured early in halftime. 

I don't see how anyone with a US high school science education can say the Pats cheated (this time), or how anyone with a functional understanding of the events can compare Deflategate to Noisegate. 

1 minute ago, JonSnow4President said:

I don't see how anyone with a US high school science education can say the Pats cheated (this time), or how anyone with a functional understanding of the events can compare Deflategate to Noisegate. 

You can't compare them, because one team copped to it immediately and the other team lied about it consistently.

/Why would the guy refer to himself as the deflater ever, at any time, if he was not deflating footballs? Why would he be pressing his fucking boss for perks from the star QB if he wasn't doing something above and beyond his job description.

The refs said they couldn't state with any confidence that the same gauge was used on the same ball both pre-game and halftime. They fucked up the control. You can't possibly apply the science to a fucked up control.

55 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

You can't compare them, because one team copped to it immediately and the other team lied about it consistently.

/Why would the guy refer to himself as the deflater ever, at any time, if he was not deflating footballs? Why would he be pressing his fucking boss for perks from the star QB if he wasn't doing something above and beyond his job description.

The refs said they couldn't state with any confidence that the same gauge was used on the same ball both pre-game and halftime. They fucked up the control. You can't possibly apply the science to a fucked up control.

Do you have any weird nicknames?  My weirdest is Sugartits (despite not having large breasts or breasts that produce anything sweet), despite both of us being heterosexual males. If you were in a secret scheme to assassinate president Trump, would you have referred to yourself as the Shooter last May? I can't imagine someone in a scheme to actively cheat referring to themselves (even once) as the person doing the cheating. 

Anderson (the one who took the pre game measurements) said his best recollection was that he used the Wilson gauge (the Wells report relies on him saying it was "certainly possible" he used the other.  Would love the context of that statement.  The Wells report decides that he must have used the logo gauge regardless of his recollection because it read lower. No other reason.

Exponent relied upon this information [that the gauges were off of each other by a consistent amount, and that there was no defect or battery issues involved that would keep them from being consistent], as well as the fact that during the testing the Non-Logo Gauge never produced a reading higher than the Logo Gauge, to conclude that Walt Anderson most likely used the Non-Logo Gauge to inspect the game balls prior to the game

The Wells report is also clear that either the logo/non logo gauge was used before the game, and that both were used at halftime.

If Anderson used the logo gauge, the footballs reflect the ideal gas law and Exponent's experimental results for warming rate.  If Anderson used the non-logo game, the footballs for both teams would be ~0.3 PSI off the laws of physics.  Since the issue was the differential between the Colts and Pats pregame and halftime differentials (ie, fresh from 40 degree weather wet Pats balls would be a lower pressure relative to their room temperature base than the end of halftime warmed up dry Colts balls relative to their room temperature base), that 0.3 would be a consistent constant difference across both sets of data. It doesn't change anything with the comparability of the Colts balls  vs the Pats balls. 

Plus logic would dictate that if one of your two options happens to comply within less than 0.4% to the laws of physics (well within the measurement error of mass produced ball pressure gauges), that's probably the one you should assume to use.

The idea that the Pats are proven (even to a more likely than not generally aware standard) is ridiculous. Anything remotely objective suggests that there wasn't actually any air removed from the footballs.  Means, motive and opportunity mean nothing if there isn't evidence of a crime. That's all any of the "Cheatriots" crowd can ever bring to the table.

The league was warned the week before and chose not to

A) warn the Patriots

B)- take no additional action to either safeguard the balls

C) catch the Patriots in the act.

None of it makes any sense. Litigating the issue once was stupid enough.

1 hour ago, Week said:

The league was warned the week before and chose not to

A) warn the Patriots

B)- take no additional action to either safeguard the balls

C) catch the Patriots in the act.

None of it makes any sense. Litigating the issue once was stupid enough.

They tried to catch the Patriots in the act, but fucked up the measurements. I would say that they kind of caught the Patriots after the fact when they got the tape of McNally taking the bag of balls into a restroom. I agree that they were stupid to wait until the half to take the 2nd measurement, that should have happened right before the start of the game. 

Archived