US Politics: Deep State Solution

all swedes are racist

12 minutes ago, Fez said:

His incentive is that his supporters were not enough to win 2016, and therefore likely are not enough to win in 2020. He won in 2016 because there were people who didn't like him, but voted for him anyway because of any number of reasons; many of which were related to problems with Clinton and/or thought he'd make the economy better. He needs those people who didn't like him last year to vote for him again in four years; and stuff like this is not going to help.

It won't matter if the economy is somehow dramatically better in four years; but if its not, and Trump needs to rely on the power of incumbency to win re-election, having a style that appeals to more than his core supporters will be very important.

You are assuming there will be elections of relevance in four years. I'd suggest that there's a considerable chance that this will not be the case.

46 minutes ago, Mexal said:

Another leak from the Trump administration to gauge reactions? Can't imagine there isn't more to this that will come out soon since on it's face, it's insane.

ETA: This is based on a draft memo that got leaked to the AP. It's not a set plan but it's something they're considering. I doubt they do it, similar to the LGBT executive order. Should dominate the news cycle though for a day to take heat off the Russia/Flynn story.

The more I read about it, the more it seems like it's a ploy to make the media look like it's peddling fake news. The AP sent multiple requests to the DHS and White House for comment before running the story but they didn't respond. A minute after they run the story, they respond with "that's 100% false". This is definitely staged and the media is going to have to do a much better job with these types of leaks.

I think the media should consider categorizing their news that comes out of the WH - rumors, facts etc.

For example this tweet, instead of saying BREAKING should say RUMOR ALERT.

3 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

I think the media should consider categorizing their news that comes out of the WH - rumors, facts etc.

Seems this is right out of the Russian playbook. The below tweet is from a Moscow bureau chief.

12 minutes ago, Mexal said:

Seems this is right out of the Russian playbook. The below tweet is from a Moscow bureau chief.

Honestly, say it's straight up and they do intend to roll it out. Wouldn't the fact that many Governors would reject this undermine it all on it's own?

Real unfortunate that AP broke it like that. I know they wanted the scoop, but the walk back by the WH is very damaging.

12 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

I like how the AP possesses a memo that they for some reason can't publish.

The physical equivalent of purely anonymous sourcing.

You'll just have to trust them.

2 hours ago, denstorebog said:

So, let's talk about the upcoming Trump Florida rally and the proposed counter-rally by #resistance.

I don't know how many of you have been following the discussion of this event, but in a nutshell, many are starting to see it as the bellwether for what kind of game the administration is playing. WaPo seems to think the reason for the rally is simple, and that there is no master plan for street control going on inside the administration - but the event has created a bit of a strategy divide among #resist people. The first reaction, of course, was to plan counter-rallies close to the Trump event. One interesting detail is that the much-discussed @RoguePotusStaff account has made a rare call to action on this:

Now, though, it seems like a lot of people are starting to worry that there's more going on, and that this is the event at which we'll see the first occurrences of instigated violence in order to create a narrative of #Resistance being violent - some left-wing conspiracy theorists even bringing up the Reichstag fire. There's certainly no doubt that this would be a great time for the administration to divert some media attention. It has caused a lot of #resist people to call for a boycott of the protest, instead settling for buying tickets to the Trump rally and not showing up. They argue that if they don't show up en masse near the Trump event, it will be difficult for the administration to sell the idea of organized violence.

A lot of people are even citing this as evidence that @RoguePotusStaff is Bannon-controlled, and that this is a first attempt at rallying the movement in the wrong direction. @RoguePotusStaff's primary antagonist right now is Louise Mensch, who claims to know for certain that they are working from within the admin, but at this point it's really a 'they said, she said' situation.

No matter what happens, the Florida rally will be the first event where the #resistance movement is weakened because of disinformation. Either Louise Mensch and the RPS critics are right, and a lot of people will be walking into some sort of out-of-this-world mastermind trap and used to tell a story. Or the RPS critics have gone full paranoia and decided to boycott and weaken an event that could have been great for sending a signal of opposition.

Thoughts?

EDIT: For what it's worth, I still haven't seen the evidence that leads me to conclude that RPS is a fake account - or at least not controlled by Trump staff. If that really is the case, they are playing some serious long-term interdimensional chess. So far, the account has presented what could be a believable look from the inside, but the people behind also make sure to create a believable picture of a constant need for anonymity and security. The stories they tell aren't just red meat for the base, they paint a picture of the Trump admin as petty, cruel and overall inhuman beings. Finally, the account has actively promoted fundraising and awareness of protests and decidedly anti-administration causes and news. Given its many followers, like I said, that is some serious long-term cost/benefit-strategizing if the conspiracy theories are true.

Refreshing this as I think it's important and worthy of discussion. Wish I could jump in myself, but I got some stuff to do for the next hour (and these threads move damn fast)

31 minutes ago, Commodore said:

DHS has confirmed that the memo was written but denies that they are considering it anymore.

33 minutes ago, JEORDHl said:

Honestly, say it's straight up and they do intend to roll it out. Wouldn't the fact that many Governors would reject this undermine it all on it's own?

Real unfortunate that AP broke it like that. I know they wanted the scoop, but the walk back by the WH is very damaging.

Depends which governors. Red state governors? They may do it.

1 hour ago, theguyfromtheVale said:

You are assuming there will be elections of relevance in four years. I'd suggest that there's a considerable chance that this will not be the case.

I think its fairly clear that this administration is far too incompetent to seriously undermine democratic institutions to that point. 

They will do a lot of dumb shit that will hurt the country though.

9 hours ago, Rippounet said:

Needless to say this meant a lot of paradoxes, like with the segregated armed forces, among others. But you can find some interesting posters like this one:
2017-010.jpg
Or this one:
http://pictures.abebooks.com/NSRB/12792097653.jpg

Those posters are really cool. Sad to think that maybe we might need a war in order to achieve that measure of unity. 

9 hours ago, Martell Spy said:

Three Reasons to Reject Trump's Criticism of Intelligence Leaks
The self-proclaimed WikiLeaks lover is poorly positioned to complain about the release of information that disadvantages his administration.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2017/02/reject-trumps-criticism-of-leaks/516990/

THIS

5 minutes ago, Fez said:

I think its fairly clear that this administration is far too incompetent to seriously undermine democratic institutions to that point. 

They will do a lot of dumb shit that will hurt the country though.

Better not to get complacent though. The gutting of the VRA and the incredibly Republican-favorable map for 2018 lay the groundwork for a takeover - and Trump seems both bold and ignorant enough to try and force issues if he doesn't get reelected (or feels it might be too unlikely)

5 hours ago, Seli said:

Of course, which is why it such a fundamentally strange idea to put ones hope in the party that represents the rich, that has done much throughout recent history to increase their influence and wealth. It makes no sense at all to look at the GOP, look at a silver-spoon-fed member of the 0.1% to do anything about it.

And I think this point is even stronger when you apply it to Trump specifically. This isn't just a member of the .01% this is a guy who got there largely on the back of the lower and middle class. He was a glorified slum lord for crissakes. Trump University is another example of this. He has made a fortune conning the lower class. To look to this guy as an agent of change that is going to benefit the lower class is absolute insanity.

3 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

One thing this admin is fantastic at. Providing fodder for ridicule.

Lol, who thought posting that picture would be a good idea?  And what's with the thumbs up at every opportunity?

Look at Pence in this pic, seemingly so desperate to stay relevant. What a fucking tool.  His ugly ass suit, and those pants, make it look like he's trying to imitate 45's fashion style, too. Hilarious. 

1 hour ago, Commodore said:

Um

Archived