Is this GRRM's big twist that he just came up with?

Victarious2

2 hours ago, Clegane'sPup said:

Who is the ASOIAF long time character twist that Martin is talking about in this article?

My scientific wild ass guess would be Jojen since the twist involves 3 or 4 people. :worried:

Martin seems to have stopped giving interviews and has on more than one occasion criticized internet journalism.

If I wanted to spend a couple hours comparing characters I would start with this.

http://time.com/3924852/every-game-of-thrones-death/

Jojen is a possibility indeed.

From your list, good guesses are: Stannis, Myrcella, Barristan & Mance.

23 hours ago, Victarious2 said:

http://ew.com/article/2016/02/25/george-rr-martins-game-thrones-twist/

He mentioned a character who died in S5, and that it involves multiple characters, and that he'd come up with a twist for one in particular.  Could it be that it involves Mance Rayder, and the twist being that he is actually Rhaegar Targaryen in disguise?  After all, he is a musician, a good fighter, and he has an interest in the Winterfell crypts for some reason (perhaps to visit Lyanna's tomb?)  George has faked plenty of character deaths by now, so I'm not sure he'd rule out a twist that Rhaegar is alive.  Besides, it's a good way to reveal to Jon Snow his true parentage.  And if Jon Connington ever meets Mance and recognizes him then there's more proof.

Mance=Arthur Dayne

9 hours ago, Endymion I Targaryen said:

If Mance was Rhaegar how could his purple eyes remain unnoticed and unmentioned? Mance can be a possibility for the twist but not of that kind.Stannis,Barristan,Stoneheart,Arianne are possible too.

8 hours ago, Ralphis Baratheon said:

I feel like its either Stannis or Barristan.

I don't think it can be Stannis actually.  GRRM mentioned this "twist" in early 2015 (according to the article linked in the first post) well before Stannis was killed off in the TV show.

jom

"This is going to drive your readers crazy"

as much as I love Martin, I think he gets a little too carried away with this sometimes. the thing is though: he's awesome at it. it's what makes him one of the greatest. but part of me thinks the books keep growing and growing because he doesn't want to tie up loose ends and give answers to the mysteries he has created. he likes throwing out red herrings, he likes misdirection and he clearly likes "twists". I just worry that he likes it all too much to end the series at the appropriate time.

5 hours ago, myhalfgroat said:

"This is going to drive your readers crazy"

as much as I love Martin, I think he gets a little too carried away with this sometimes. the thing is though: he's awesome at it. it's what makes him one of the greatest. but part of me thinks the books keep growing and growing because he doesn't want to tie up loose ends and give answers to the mysteries he has created. he likes throwing out red herrings, he likes misdirection and he clearly likes "twists". I just worry that he likes it all too much to end the series at the appropriate time.

But isn't it the reason why we love these books and spent an interesting fraction of our free time discussing aspects of the books?

I know it's difficult to balance, but I like that. I still remember reading parts of the books and say, wait, wait, wait, this is BS, the author is playing with me.

On Sun Apr 09 2017 at 11:09 PM, Victarious2 said:

Stannis changing in what sense?  That he'd give up on his quest for the Iron Throne?

Not that he would plainly give up his quest for the Iron Throne, but that he would (1) defeat the Boltons, and (2) see it as his duty to die for the kingdom and make some sort of sacrificial stand to help Jon and whomever is leading the rest of the army against the others.

21 hours ago, rotting sea cow said:

It doesn't seem to be related to TV series, except that the character is dead in the show, but not in the books.

Agreed, and it refers to an unspecified character at that. If this had confirmed that a character had died on the show, it would be a spoiler. As it stands, it does nothing but refer to the existence of the show in passing. That doesn't make it a TV topic. Carry on.

17 hours ago, Endymion I Targaryen said:

If Mance was Rhaegar how could his purple eyes remain unnoticed and unmentioned? Mance can be a possibility for the twist but not of that kind.Stannis,Barristan,Stoneheart,Arianne are possible too.

Mance's eye color is only described once and it's by JS in a dimly lit, smoky tent. Not very difficult for Jon to assume the purple is just a dark brown. 

He also notes in the same description that he does not look like a wildling. Grrm has went to great lengths to stress how people see what they want to/ what they assume to, e.g. The guards thinking arya was a poor boy. So it's certainly believable that other people really didn't look that closely to his eye color, especially in the wildling/ NW societies. Hard men don't often take note of other men's eye colors. 

then there's the theory hes glamoured.

I'm liking Arstan Whitebeard here. His arc needs a new direction, imho, and there could be a hundred ways to weave his web a little tighter. He also is part of a "3 or 4" character unit, like GRRM described. 

8 hours ago, mormont said:

Agreed, and it refers to an unspecified character at that. If this had confirmed that a character had died on the show, it would be a spoiler. As it stands, it does nothing but refer to the existence of the show in passing. That doesn't make it a TV topic. Carry on.

This is settled. Next person to argue about it gets a free gift, and by 'free gift' I mean a warning point.

In medieval times they would actually dress soldiers like Kings to fool the enemy. sometimes more than 3 soldiers would be disguised as kings. 

This combined with the Red Ruby charms of Melisande and Red Ruby encrusted Armor of Rhaegar Targaryen. There is a possibility.

If it comes to be true then we can agree George did all the foreshadowing and set it up real nice. If it doesnt happen then we will say it was misdirection.

We must trust George will make the right choice. 

If Mance was Rhaegar I would have expected George to be setting it up long before 2015.  We simply have no idea what it might be referring to or even if he'll choose to include it, only that it will be unexpected and will involve a character no longer on the show.

6 hours ago, thehandwipes said:

If Mance was Rhaegar I would have expected George to be setting it up long before 2015.

agreed.

the Mance = Rhaeger theory has always struck me as poor writing. even if people can point to (semi-plausible) foreshadowing, it's still cheaper than a dollar store pregnancy test for George to say "well sure, I said Mance's eyes are brown, but I never said they weren't purple". that and the fact that nobody would take any notice or make any mention of a clearly rare physical characteristic.

Archived