U.S. Politics: "Trump Is Dumber Than A Bag Of Hair"

29 minutes ago, Nasty LongRider said:

Unconscious?  No don't think so. He knew he was talking advantage.  How could he not?

Just the balls on that guy. Yeah, you're right, I'm sure he knew, but to not give a fuck to such a degree requires some measure of unconsciousness. Unreal. The guy truly has no fucks to give.

1 hour ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

I was listening to that Sam Harris/Charles Murray podcast again, and this is the subject of one of his latest books. Coming Apart: The State of White America 1960-2010...

Drawing on five decades of statistics and research, Coming Apart demonstrates that a new upper class and a new lower class have diverged so far in core behaviors and values that they barely recognize their underlying American kinship—divergence that has nothing to do with income inequality and that has grown during good economic times and bad. 

The top and bottom of white America increasingly live in different cultures, Murray argues, with the powerful upper class living in enclaves surrounded by their own kind, ignorant about life in mainstream America, and the lower class suffering from erosions of family and community life that strike at the heart of the pursuit of happiness. That divergence puts the success of the American project at risk. 

https://www.amazon.com/Coming-Apart-State-America-1960-2010/dp/030745343X

I will checkout that Atlantic article. It's an interesting subject, for sure.

I love how it's a schism in White America that puts the 'American Project's success at risk.   Like the genocide of natives, era of slavery, the current secondary status of blacks and most other minorities are all ok things as long as white America is peachy.  

America: Same ol fucked up place, now fucked for whites too

Numerous states are refusing to give information to the very distinguished VOTER FRAUD PANEL. What are they trying to hide?

17 hours ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

And just to clarify, I think this pretty much nails it. The only thing is I'm not sure that ignoring it really has much effect. His base will follow him on Twitter regardless, and many of them will buy into the bullshit he posts or simply be entertained by shots like the Mika tweet.

I think it's how people and the media respond. IMO it should be responded to in the same manner as a tantrum by a child. While Trump is happy that his base enjoys the tweets, IMO he gets most pleasure from them by the seething and howling of his opponents. But I guess CNN and MSNBC seething and howling is good for their ratings, so they probably won't be the matuer one and take a different approach.

CNN should just be saying, the only thing worse than being talked about is not being talked about, so thanks for the free advertising Mr. Trump. You are reaching a demographic that we could never reach. And getting negative attention from the president is proof we're doing the job we should be as the 4th estate: holding political leaders to account. In other words fight bullshit with bullshit.

On 7/3/2017 at 8:55 AM, ThinkerX said:

My assessment: Trumps vaunted base is slowly eroding.  A year from now, his base could be a mere 10-12% of the electorate. 

10-12? That's... quite an interesting prediction.

The polls have currently been stable for a month at around 40%, with the only real fluctuation being the (already forgotten) Scalise shooting. So that's probably a pretty good snapshot of his current approval. This is after we've been through pretty much everything the Donald has to offer us in terms of his wit, charm and authoritarian boy-howdy. So 40% are on board with that.

Conventional wisdom would tell us that to get from 40% to a staggering 10%, Trump would have to start seriously giving the middle finger on his promises, even more so than he has already done, which is a lot. I mean, his inner circle pretty much is the swamp, he has failed to make any progress on the wall, his foreign policy seems to alternate between interventionism and isolationism depending on the current time of day, and so forth.

Obviously, the realization that he's not living up to his own impossible promises is a gradual process for some, but at the same time, his administration and the right-wing media have been able to keep 40% on board because they put the blame for everything on liberal media and Congress. They're really good at this, and it is not going to change. The gradual realization of Trump's incompetence requires not only that people start figuring out that there are still too few jobs and too many Mexicans and that Trump is getting rich with his Goldman Sachs buddies - it also requires that conservative media start pushing the notion that this might actually be, you know, Trump's fault rather than Ryan's, Pelosi's and CNN's.

That's why I'm pretty curious to know what you think could happen in the next year of the same media landscape that will make the 30% percent see the light after half a year of extreme fuckery has only swayed around 10% in the polls.

1 hour ago, denstorebog said:

The polls have currently been stable for a month at around 40%, with the only real fluctuation being the (already forgotten) Scalise shooting. So that's probably a pretty good snapshot of his current approval. This is after we've been through pretty much everything the Donald has to offer us in terms of his wit, charm and authoritarian boy-howdy. So 40% are on board with that.

Conventional wisdom would tell us that to get from 40% to a staggering 10%, Trump would have to start seriously giving the middle finger on his promises, even more so than he has already done, which is a lot. I mean, his inner circle pretty much is the swamp, he has failed to make any progress on the wall, his foreign policy seems to alternate between interventionism and isolationism depending on the current time of day, and so forth.

Obviously, the realization that he's not living up to his own impossible promises is a gradual process for some, but at the same time, his administration and the right-wing media have been able to keep 40% on board because they put the blame for everything on liberal media and Congress. They're really good at this, and it is not going to change. The gradual realization of Trump's incompetence requires not only that people start figuring out that there are still too few jobs and too many Mexicans and that Trump is getting rich with his Goldman Sachs buddies - it also requires that conservative media start pushing the notion that this might actually be, you know, Trump's fault rather than Ryan's, Pelosi's and CNN's.

That's why I'm pretty curious to know what you think could happen in the next year of the same media landscape that will make the 30% percent see the light after half a year of extreme fuckery has only swayed around 10% in the polls.

Distinctions must be made between Trumps base and conservatives in general.  Trump sits atop what looks like a monolithic block, but is actually an uneasy alliance.  I put his current true core followers at about 20-25% of the electorate.  The rest support him...until he acts grossly against their interests - which he will. 

Trumps core supporters are eroding.  But, as I said, its a long, gradual process.  Milestones along the way....

Trumps handling of national security matters ticked off a lot of military types who voted for him.

The AHCA is extremely unpopular, even among most republicans - yet Trump pushes it anyhow.  I can see that affecting Trumps popularity,

It is slowly dawning among parts of the base that Trumps vaunted job production has been a flop. 

At this point, there are still a lot of fanatics who regard Trump as a political messiah, but maintaining that loyalty will require special effort.

1 hour ago, denstorebog said:

Trump's overall approval rating has remained stable for the past several months, generally floating between 35%-40%. However his "strongly approve" rating has continued to fall, from over 30% to under 20%. Its the difference, I think, between Republicans who instinctively support a Republican president and the supporters who actually really like him and are all-in on the Kool-Aid. 

I dont believe it was the Iraq war but rather Katrina that finally brought home GWB's incompetence to a lot of people. It would take a serious incident and a poor response from this White House to peel off a lot of its supporters, I think.

Otherwise its just the usual partisan lines and willfully staying in your bubble.

I heard a shocking poll yesterday. Back in January, 35% of Americans thought the Russians were either allies or friends of the US. The ;attest poll results show that has moved up 11 points!!!!! 46% of Americans now think Russia is an ally or a friend.

You are so screwed.

1 hour ago, Fragile Bird said:

I heard a shocking poll yesterday. Back in January, 35% of Americans thought the Russians were either allies or friends of the US. The ;attest poll results show that has moved up 11 points!!!!! 46% of Americans now think Russia is an ally or a friend.

You are so screwed.

Source, please.

Happy Fourth of July!  How 'bout some fireworks!

Oh shit, not like this

Arrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   :stunned:

12 hours ago, ThinkerX said:

Distinctions must be made between Trumps base and conservatives in general.  Trump sits atop what looks like a monolithic block, but is actually an uneasy alliance.  I put his current true core followers at about 20-25% of the electorate.  The rest support him...until he acts grossly against their interests - which he will. 

Trumps core supporters are eroding.  But, as I said, its a long, gradual process.  Milestones along the way....

Trumps handling of national security matters ticked off a lot of military types who voted for him.

The AHCA is extremely unpopular, even among most republicans - yet Trump pushes it anyhow.  I can see that affecting Trumps popularity,

It is slowly dawning among parts of the base that Trumps vaunted job production has been a flop. 

At this point, there are still a lot of fanatics who regard Trump as a political messiah, but maintaining that loyalty will require special effort.

I have in-laws who are lifelong Republicans and would never vote for a Democrat who do not approve of Trump. But when it comes down to it I think they will vote Trump again in 2020 if he's running on the Republican ticket, because tribalism, and control of SCOTUS nominations. It was essentially control of SCOTUS nominations that was essentially the reason they voted Trump this time around. I think there's a lot of people in the don't approve camp who will still vote for the Republican candidate regardless.

On 04/07/2017 at 5:37 AM, OldGimletEye said:

For some reason, I have the feeling that Murray would argue the solution would be more libertarianism.
Now why would I be skeptical of this argument?

And if Niall Ferguson recommends something, it's probably not a good sign.

Sam Harris is a pretty hard core libertarian right? So when it comes to political philosophy he's going to be pushing particularly hard for his followers to listen to people offering libertarian solutions. 

On 7/4/2017 at 6:15 PM, The Anti-Targ said:

Sam Harris is a pretty hard core libertarian right? So when it comes to political philosophy he's going to be pushing particularly hard for his followers to listen to people offering libertarian solutions. 

I don't really know much about Sam Harris. So, I can't say. What I can say, though, is libertarianism, as it's practiced in the United States, at least, is a bunch of crap.

And if Niall Ferguson says, "its a good one!!!" then most likely, it isn't. He's been a real clown over the last few years, even if he does teach at Harvard.

57 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

I have in-laws who are lifelong Republicans and would never vote for a Democrat who do not approve of Trump. But when it comes down to it I think they will vote Trump again in 2020 if he's running on the Republican ticket, because tribalism, and control of SCOTUS nominations. It was essentially control of SCOTUS nominations that was essentially the reason they voted Trump this time around. I think there's a lot of people in the don't approve camp who will still vote for the Republican candidate regardless.

As do I.  And there are many such types making comments on the comment boards.  The reasoning usually runs along the lines of 'Obama was bad, but Trump is far worse.  However the alternative was Hillary, so...'  they literally cannot bring themselves to complete that train of thought. 

And again, the republican congressmen who dared hold Town Halls in the wake of the AHCA passing the house caught unholy hell from their own constituents - even when they tried to pick the audience.  For some reason, even after the baseball shooting, this has yet to register with the posters here.  Senators who vote for this risk violence upon their persons when they return to their home states.  

However, the effects of Trumps policies have yet to fully kick in. 

Archived