dragonstone to the wall in a day?

dantares83

Well 1 they weren't riding they were using a boat. And When are people going to get over this travel/time stuff on this show. There's only 7 episodes this season, would you like to spend an hour watching them on a boat? When you watch a two hour movie that's supposed to span years do you accept that or object?

9 minutes ago, daemonTheBlack said:

Yes they should have shown every second of the weeks-long trip to the wall, with Jon Snow brooding and Jorah daydreaming, until they finally reach their destination in season 31. Because like in every TV show or movie in history, unless they show it happening, it did not happen.

They should have at least waited an episode or two before having Jon just pop up at the wall. 

I don't remember the show having this problem when they still had the books as source material. 

I know that this is a fantasy show with dragons and the walking dead.....but having Jon sail from DS to Eastwatch all within the same episode is ridiculous. 

16 minutes ago, Ser Snowflake said:

They should have at least waited an episode or two before having Jon just pop up at the wall. 

I don't remember the show having this problem when they still had the books as source material. 

I know that this is a fantasy show with dragons and the walking dead.....but having Jon sail from DS to Eastwatch all within the same episode is ridiculous. 

This season has just seven episodes unlike the previous seasons which is why journeys are compressed I suppose.

33 minutes ago, Ser Snowflake said:

1. They don't have that many episodes.

2. The books tend to describe people's journeys. They're dispensing with that.

They could have split journeys into two episodes. It tricks people.

This seems comical.

From some spoilers or (predictions) I hear, we will literally have a phone call next episode.

Person A teleports 100 miles, makes a "phone call" and person B a thousand miles away acknowledges it and they both meet up in 30 min.

It is too damn stupid. You CAN'T show two scenes one after another and expect viewers to believe it was weeks apart. !!!

It was due to very bad planning and story telling. Much could have happened way back from Season 5 to prevent this massive time jumps.

To everyone whining that they don't want to see the traveling happen on-screen:

there is an army of the dead marching towards the Wall. We know FOR CERTAIN that they are marching at the same time that Jon is on Dragonstone treating with Dany, and that they were as far from the Wall as Bran and Meera. How slowly are we supposed to believe they're traveling that in the time it will have taken then to reach the Wall we've had:

Bran and Meera make it back to the Wall

Bran and Meera make it back to Castle Black

Jon travel to Dragonstone

Jon treat with Dany

Grey Worm and the Unsullied take Casterly Rock

News reach Dany and co. at Dragonstone

Dany and the Dothraki hit the Lannister army

Dany and Drogon get back to Dragonstone

Jorah make it all the way to Dragonstone from the Citadel

Tyrion meet with Jaime

Jon and crew decide to capture a wight

Jon and crew make it from Dragonstone to Eastwatch-by-the-sea

AND PRESUMABLY

Jon capture a wight

Jon take that wight back to the Wall

Jon take that wight to King's Landing

Cersei decides "yeah sure whatever" and sends her forces to the Wall

Jon and the entirety of the Westerlands/Reach/Ironborn(?)/Dornish(maybe)/Riverlands forces make it to the Wall

and not find every single member of the Night's Watch (and the North) slaughtered?

On August 14, 2017 at 8:35 PM, Ser Snowflake said:

It happens in the books too, it just doesn't bug you, because you're reading, not watching. 

And just for the record, it doesn't bother everyone. And it doesn't even bother the people who treat this like they're watching 24, consistently. Like those back-to-back Cersei/Jamie scenes in S7E1 that no one had a problem with, even though clearly time had passed. 

The film The Martian doesn't all take place within the running time of the film. It covers years. 

Did that bother anyone here that's bothered by traveling in GoT?

Most film & TV scripted stuff works that way. Does it all bother you the same way? 

Even The Big Bang Theory doesn't take place within the 22min of actual show, it usually covers hours or even days. Is that a problem for you too?

If so, why do you watch anything?

And if not, why just GoT?

12 minutes ago, ShadowKitteh said:

The film The Martian doesn't all take place within the running time of the film. It covers years. 

Did that bother anyone here that's bothered by traveling in GoT?

Most film & TV scripted stuff works that way. Does it all bother you the same way? 

Even The Big Bang Theory doesn't take place within the 22min of actual show, it usually covers hours or even days. Is that a problem for you too?

If so, why do you watch anything?

And if not, why just GoT?

You're like a broken record mate.

No-one is bothered that GoT doesn't run in real time. It's the way it's done, with nothing at all happening while people are supposedly travelling, with the dreaded Army of the Dead apparently just waiting around while the other characters spend what should be months or even years travelling around. Maybe they similar things in earlier seasons, too, but they turned it up to, not just eleven but thirteen and a half this season.

Maybe it is necessary because they already decided to cut this season short (I wonder who made that decision), but be that as it may, the result is something that feels incredibly rushed.

On 8/15/2017 at 0:13 AM, ShadowKitteh said:

This way of thinking seems to be proof that the TV show "24", has given an entire generation brain damage when it comes to watching television. 

I've never watched 24 but I agree that TV shows seem to be written for an audience with A.D.D.  Almost all interactions between characters are 30 seconds or less.  Game of Thrones is particularly susceptible to this because of the huge story being told and the huge cast of characters.  Presumably interactions are short because there are so many characters to fit into each episode and because the show runners don't want to bother showing characters discussing information with each other that the audience has already received from one of them in a previous scene from that character.  

So what you get is two characters sharing a 30 second dialogue per scene, regardless as to whether they just saw each other or haven't seen each other in three years.  This season this has felt even more egregious since we have so many reunions taking place.  Sansa and Arya have had maybe 3 scenes together, have barely discussed anything that has happened to them or their family or winterfell or the world in general since they last saw each other, and are already either embroiled in a new conflict with each other or secretly working together to trap Baelish.  Who can tell because they haven't spoken to each other on screen about literally anything

the scene with Arya and Brienne in the previous episode starts with Arya saying something like "its been a while since I've trained"... then two or three lines, a minute of sword play, and training is over.  Arya puts in a one liner about her being 'no one' and then bounces.  who needs to practice when you are the perfect killing machine i guess

This past episode Sam has a scene with the maesters at that table.  Sam says a few lines when he overhears them talking about Bran.  Archmaester says a few lines.  Sam leaves in a huff.  Archmaester never bothers to ask in any scene with Sam how he knows Bran, how he knows this army of the dead is real, what the night's watch is doing about it and why winterfell is suddenly worried also about it.  We are just supposed to assume all of this dialogue has happened off screen.  and then, to add insult to the scene, we find out after Sam leaves that the Archmaester knew his dad and bro just got roasted and didn't tell him because 'reasons'.  That scene could have been much longer, with the Maesters grilling Sam about his experiences north of the wall, complementing him on curing greyscale, and then consoling him about his family loss.  instead it was probably two minutes and ended by giving us nothing but a slightly better context for sam ultimately deciding to leave the citadel.  it still could have ended with the same result in a longer scene, with the maesters saying they want more information first and sam leaving frustrated.  At least then it would have felt like an actual human interaction.  

that's just one example off the top of my head from this past episode, but really every scene these days could use more dialogue between characters.  But apparently people don't want longer scenes with more dialogue when most of what is being said is known to the viewer, even if it feels completely unnatural to have scenes without that sort of conversation/context.  I'm already dreading the inevitable reunion between Arya and Jon when they hug, talk for 6 lines about being no one and being a brooding reluctant king and then move onto the next scene without mentioning absolutely anything of substance that has happened to them as people in the past few years.  I know we don't need to hear it again because we've experienced it through them firsthand, but it makes the characters feel wooden when they don't interact with each other in ways that normal people would interact when they haven't seen each other in a while.  

I also am sick of the ways the show runners like to end dialogue between characters that absolutely should be longer and has no reason not to be longer, but is cut short by some contrived interruption.  Jon pets a dragon for 3 minutes, Dany says something creepy about her considering her dragons her children (which sounds like a cat lady thing to say unless you assume Jon learned of how she hatched them and raised them off screen), dany finally gets around to asking him if hes undead...and in walks fucking jorah mormont to stall that dialogue for another episode because 30 seconds of interaction between two characters is all you get. 

Sam and Gilly had the same treatment this episode.  Gilly (who is virtually useless as a character at this point and maybe always was) is actually about to say something useful...and then Sam snaps about the Maester life sucking and 52,000 shits and then goes to steal a bunch of scrolls and books in the dark, because you know, Sam and Gilly arent allowed to speak to each other for longer than 30 seconds on screen at a time and we need to tune in next week to see the stunning conclusion of that thing Gilly was talking about before Sam decided to uproot his family on a whim (or at least is seemed like it since, you know, he had never mentioned his considering leaving the citadel to anyone, including the woman he is living with).

I thought this would get better as more characters came together this season but instead it's gotten worse.  They have so many opportunities to delve into these characters and explore their interactions with each other but refuse to do so because of self-imposed time constraints on the series and this notion that viewers don't want dialogue.  

Archived