Football: The grind begins

Mexal

2 hours ago, JordanJH1993 said:

One of the stranger transfer rumours gathering is that of Mustafi. It seems there is a real chance Arsenal will sell him should Juve or Inter come in with an offer of £35m, the same fee Arsenal paid for him. I didn't think he had a bad first season in the Premier League. There were more positive signs from him than negative, at least that's what I thought.

Selling Mustafi would be a crazy move. He's the only CB who is reasonably experienced but still with many years ahead of him (25), especially now that Gabriel is gone. Everyone else is getting old (Koscielny, definitely Mertesacker) or still too young (Holding, Chambers). Unless there's some off-field problem with him integrating into English life I don't see any conceivable reason why you'd want to sell him.

And re: the Ox, if Chelsea are paying 35m pounds for a bench-player on the last year of his contract, I'd sell him. I know he's got lots of years ahead of him but I don't think he's ever going to be a star for Arsenal. He might be at Chelsea or somewhere else, which would be a shame for us, but honestly at this point I think the only reason we'd be holding out on that offer and keeping him is to stop someone else from benefiting from him, which is a fairly weak excuse. Otherwise he's just going to turn out like another Walcott - a promising young English player who never lives up to the expectation but keeps on going through false dawns.

2 hours ago, JordanJH1993 said:

One of the stranger transfer rumours gathering is that of Mustafi. It seems there is a real chance Arsenal will sell him should Juve or Inter come in with an offer of £35m, the same fee Arsenal paid for him. I didn't think he had a bad first season in the Premier League. There were more positive signs from him than negative, at least that's what I thought.

As far as I can tell, you can scratch Juve from that list. True, they are about to sign a German centreback from the WC squad, but it's not Mustafi. Rumor has it, they will sign Höwedes from Schalke for a sum between 5-10m €. Small backstory why that rumour seems plausible. On Juve's side they obviously want another centreback, and for Höwdes...

Well, their new manager Tedesco has ousted him as captain from his boyhood club (Fährmann being the new captain), and is rumoredly not that fond of Höwedes as a player, so they are open to let him go for a fee instead of demoting their long time captain and club icon to fringe player. And Höwedes himself has asked the club to enter talks with Juve about a transfer.

The Italian's initial offer of 5m was deemed a bit too low by Schalke, they rumoredly want 10. So, I guess they'll reach an agreement before too long.

If Arsenal sell Gibbs to Watford for around 7m pounds and Mustafi to Inter Milan for around 35m pounds in the next few days, that will take their net spend this summer down to minus 12m pounds. That's without the potential sales of Ox and Perez taken into account. 

They are one of the richest clubs in the world, yet they still refuse to push the boat out for the likes of Lemar. Yes, if Monaco are asking for 60m for him, that is more than he is worth by about 20m, but that is the market. Man United paid more than what Lukaku was worth. Man City paid more than what Mendy and Walker were worth. Chelsea paid more than what Morata was worth. That is how the transfer market is these days, there's no way of avoiding it.

I can see why the Arsenal fans are so quick to turn on the board and the manager, when they see their club making money but refusing to use it. Charging fans the highest prices for season tickets in the league but not putting the money into improving the team.

44 minutes ago, JordanJH1993 said:

If Arsenal sell Gibbs to Watford for around 7m pounds and Mustafi to Inter Milan for around 35m pounds in the next few days, that will take their net spend this summer down to minus 12m pounds. That's without the potential sales of Ox and Perez taken into account. 

They are one of the richest clubs in the world, yet they still refuse to push the boat out for the likes of Lemar. Yes, if Monaco are asking for 60m for him, that is more than he is worth by about 20m, but that is the market. Man United paid more than what Lukaku was worth. Man City paid more than what Mendy and Walker were worth. Chelsea paid more than what Morata was worth. That is how the transfer market is these days, there's no way of avoiding it.

I can see why the Arsenal fans are so quick to turn on the board and the manager, when they see their club making money but refusing to use it. Charging fans the highest prices for season tickets in the league but not putting the money into improving the team.

I don't think Lemar is Arsenal's fault. I think Monaco is refusing to sell because they sold a number of other players. And buying Lemar for 60m and not selling anyone in a squad that has 33 people is just bad business. They've spent the last few summers without selling anyone and it's getting out of hand. Sell Chamberlain, Walcott, Jenkinson, Gibbs, Chambers, Perez and then they're in a good position to buy. But because they've taken so long to sell these players, highly doubtful they buy anyone else and will go into the season with a fucked up defense, a bad midfield combination and players playing out of position.

1 hour ago, Notone said:

As far as I can tell, you can scratch Juve from that list. True, they are about to sign a German centreback from the WC squad, but it's not Mustafi. Rumor has it, they will sign Höwedes from Schalke for a sum between 5-10m €. Small backstory why that rumour seems plausible. On Juve's side they obviously want another centreback, and for Höwdes...

Well, their new manager Tedesco has ousted him as captain from his boyhood club (Fährmann being the new captain), and is rumoredly not that fond of Höwedes as a player, so they are open to let him go for a fee instead of demoting their long time captain and club icon to fringe player. And Höwedes himself has asked the club to enter talks with Juve about a transfer.

The Italian's initial offer of 5m was deemed a bit too low by Schalke, they rumoredly want 10. So, I guess they'll reach an agreement before too long.

Tedesco can only be axing Höwedes as a show of strength as he tries to settle into his new job. If you have to resort to showing who's boss in such a manner then it does not look like you have much control at all. He may not be ideally suited to Tedesco's system, but Naldo gets away with it when Nastasic and Kehrer are to either side. Surely, the captain and club legend should be getting that role ahead of a 34 year old in his second season at the club? Even selling him for €10m seems well below his value in the current market.

Agreed.

Rashford should start and Martial can then come on once the game opens up a bit. Martial doesn't make full use of his pace as he always wants the ball played to feet. He really needs to take a page out of Rashford's book when it comes to movement and Rashford could use a lesson in composure in front of goal from Martial. A positive from this game: I thought we made much better use of the space on the flanks when Leicester was sitting deep and compact than we did against Swansea. Valencia really needs to be better with his deliveries though - far too often he fails to beat the first man and his crossing strategy seems to be to hit the ball as hard as he can and hope for the best.

30 minutes ago, Soylent Brown said:

It went the opposite way last week though, I thought, with Martial coming on and looking much more effective than Rashford.

Nah. Martial had the final product when he came on but in both games before he did Rashford was still, even though he lacked the finishing, really effective at creating space for the rest of the forward line. Martial just doesn't really do that- he's a solo effort type of guy.

15 hours ago, Horse of Kent said:

Tedesco can only be axing Höwedes as a show of strength as he tries to settle into his new job. If you have to resort to showing who's boss in such a manner then it does not look like you have much control at all. He may not be ideally suited to Tedesco's system, but Naldo gets away with it when Nastasic and Kehrer are to either side. Surely, the captain and club legend should be getting that role ahead of a 34 year old in his second season at the club? Even selling him for €10m seems well below his value in the current market.

Persnally I think Naldo offers more offensively. But the bigger issue appears to be Kehrer. He will turn 21 next month and is their future centreback, and he has not signed a new contract. I don't think this is to force a move to a bigger club, but rather to see how his situation at the club develops. In other words he wants guaranteed first team football, and he wants it now. Offloading Höwedes might be a signal internally that Kehrer's time's now, and he can safely sign a new contract (the current one ends in July 2019). This pure speculation on my part, but it makes sense in a way.

Just watching Match of the Day this morning it actually looks like Aguero's stepping in tell the steward he 'assaulted' not to be as rough with the fan he's restraining. He actually comes across looking like quite a good guy.

Archived