Football: The grind begins

Mexal

2 minutes ago, Mark Antony said:

Gnabry is destroying TAA. I'm enjoying his offensive contributions but I'll be happy when Clyne is fit again. 

Yeah, he is struggling. Having said that he's struggling with Gnabry's pace and I'm pretty sure Alexander-Arnold is quicker than Clyne. What we need to do is move over a midfielder to give him some help. You'd think that'd be a given but, you know, Liverpool.

2 hours ago, ljkeane said:

Er, what? Isn't actual results versus expected results exactly how you'd measure performance? Averaging the same points against the other top 6 teams as they did against a sample including another 14 worse teams is doing better against better teams.

Given they were almost 20 points behind the title winners, one might say they needed to perform better against "weaker" opposition.

37 minutes ago, Mark Antony said:

Another goal you could argue is Lovrens fault. 

It depends on who your favourite scapegoat is. I'd say that Moreno was caught off position for that one. ;) 

3 hours ago, Soylent Brown said:

Wijnaldum's confidence looks utterly shot. He seems to be questioning every single simple pass he makes. He's a massive liability at the moment.

I didn't watch this particular game but Wijnaldum looks like a textbook example of a player who just really needs to get out of there and regroup somewhere else. He's clearly a really good player but it just isn't happening at Liverpool, and the more he tries to make it the less it looks like it ever will.

A bit like Memphis Depay, who appears to have caught fire pretty much immediately after leaving us for Lyon. Can see something similar happening for Wijnaldum, whether he goes abroad or takes a slight step down in England.

Doesn't seem likely for this window though.

3 hours ago, Horse of Kent said:

Can't recall Nagelsmann getting as badly wrong as this before. Tried to get back into it in five minutes, when Hoffenheim could only get knocked out of it in that time.

The post game interviews suggest a bit otherwise. Wagner basically said, that they didn't get their gameplan going and were punished in the first 30 minutes.

Nagelsmann said something along the line, that they deservedly lost to a much better Liverpool team tonight. He also said he feels like his side should have simply won the first leg, in which they were the better team.

And that's all there is to it I think. Hoffenheim simply ran into a better team and got spanked. Keep in mind, that Hoffenheim probably benefitted from a bunch of teams really underperforming badly last season in Germany (Gladbach, Schalke, Leverkusen and to some degree Dortmund). If you had offered Hoffenheim an EL finish last year, they would have signed up for that in an instant. And this year they have lost two key players (and thus quality) to Bayern.

Entertaining game, and great to see Firmino, Mane and Can in that form.  The whole defense looks shaky, not helped by FBs who don't know how to defend and no DM.  Henderson was better today than recent games but looks like a CM rather than DM to shield the defense.  Salah looks good but not yet linking with the others and still turns over the ball a lot -- I expect he'll grow into the team over time. 

It would have been nice to rest Mane and Firmino with subs after our fourth goal.  We have Arsenal on Sunday.

Archived