Football: The grind begins

Mexal

1 hour ago, Mexal said:

Can't say I agree. Chamberlain has had some good games on the wing no doubt and maybe even his best games. But that's more due to the sum of games played there rather than the fit of the role. There has been significantly more games where he was anonymous or fucked up the final ball because his crossing ability is so meh. I always felt his consistency at CM was much better, his influence much more strongly felt, that he didn't overly rely on mismanaged crosses and that his skill in beating the man in front of him lead to some strong breaks.

The thing about Ox is that his physical abilities have often outweighed his technical abilities. Beating men with strength and pace is his strong point, but final ball is his weakness. Although sometimes he has pulled off some brilliant goals and crosses that look to have happened more by fluke than by intention.

His technical ability is what I think has stopped him from ever making that breakthrough in central midfield. He can't pass and dictate play like Carzorla or Xhaka can nor would he have the discipline to play in a restricted role as a holding midfielder. Saying that, though, I don't think Ramsey has the discipline to play in a midfield two but that hasn't stopped Wenger playing there.

Going off topic, it's still a surprise Wenger didn't go in for a player more suited to play in a restricted central midfield role, as Elneny and Coq are their only defensive minded midfielders and neither of them seem to be totally fancied by Wenger.

On 24-8-2017 at 4:09 PM, JordanJH1993 said:

It would be interesting to see Zlatan and Lukaku play together, but I can't see that happening too often, other than if Man United were chasing a game and Jose decided to stick the two men up front together. Pogba and Zlatan had been developing a partnership as last season progressed, as he appears to doing with Lukaku now.

I'm excited about Zlatan being signed after all, glad it happened. The return date is unsure but it seems like he might even back in December. That would be quick, but then he looks in great spirits as well as fresh and in great shape. Like you I can't see him being lined up next to Lukaku much, but the fact is also that this is a great, great player and if he is back in shape it might actually be hard to contiunue to have him come off the bench. And by that I mean he might in such a scenario play next to Lukaku. We'll see.

On 24-8-2017 at 6:46 PM, BigFatCoward said:

Barca agree fee for Dembele, does that relieve liverpool fans? Or do we think they try for both?

Everyone other than Spurs doing ok so far, especially if Dortmund spend that windfall wisely.  

I think Barca will continue to push for Coutinho until the deadline yeah.

As for Dortmund, wonder who they will spend it on. No idea.

2 hours ago, Notone said:

Meanwhile, the transfer of Demble to Barcelona is finally about to get finalized.

Good for them. At least some recovery after the Neymar fiasco. The liga would already have been in the bag for Madrid ( I know some feel this is the case anyway;I do not share that sentiment)  if this had not worked. Ideally for them they still sign Coutinho.

On 24-8-2017 at 6:53 PM, AncalagonTheBlack said:

Champions League group stage draw in full!

Group A: Benfica, Manchester United, Basel, CSKA Moscow
Group B: Bayern Munich, Paris St-Germain, Anderlecht, Celtic
Group C: Chelsea, Atlético Madrid, Roma, Qarabag
Group D: Juventus, Barcelona, Olympiakos, Sporting Clube de Portugal
Group E: Spartak Moscow, Sevilla, Liverpool, Maribor
Group F: Shakhtar Donetsk, Manchester City, Napoli, Feyenoord
Group G: Monaco, Porto, Besiktas, Leipzig
Group H: Real Madrid, Borussia Dortmund, Tottenham, Apoel Nicosia

Should be a comfortable group for United. Munich and PSG are going to score lots of goals in that group B.

Group C in comparison is really tough, damn. Liverpool in a very easy group, must be said. City will struggle with Napoli but there's no other team there to make an impact. Tottenham obviously have bad luck here, the toughest group by a fair margin.

9 hours ago, Consigliere said:

I think Wenger will look to get out of the group stage and will field strong lineups - maybe a few changes from the best XI but not a reserve side. The first knockout round is only in mid-Feb so EL priority can be reassessed then depending on the club's league position. It's too big a risk now to field second string sides in the EL and pass up the opportunity of another route into the CL given how competitive it has become at the top end of the EPL.

Hmm... I'm sceptical. Wenger has always been about the ethos. He's got to be looking at a competition like this and thinking 'a chance for my young players to prove that they can make the step up!' That would be my guess.

ETA - I mean, he'll undoubtedly go for it and throw in the first-teamers if it looks like Arsenal might win the competition, but for the group stages, I think it's going to be the kids.

25 minutes ago, mormont said:

Hmm... I'm sceptical. Wenger has always been about the ethos. He's got to be looking at a competition like this and thinking 'a chance for my young players to prove that they can make the step up!' That would be my guess.

ETA - I mean, he'll undoubtedly go for it and throw in the first-teamers if it looks like Arsenal might win the competition, but for the group stages, I think it's going to be the kids.

I agree. I can't see Wenger sending out Premier League level starting XIs in the group stage of the competition.

The contempt Arsenal fans have shown towards this competition shows they don't seem like they'd be overly disappointed if they were to not do well in it. They're obsession is with Arsenal's league failures.

I think Wenger will play it by ear. Start by using kids and second string players. If they are going well in the league by the time the knock out stage starts, he will likely continue that. If they seem off the pace for the title and in the race for a top 4 place, he may have to start putting more of an emphasis on the Europa League, as a second option of entering the Champions League for next season. 

For personal reasons for Wenger, he has never won a European competition. The Europa League has become a respected second tier competition, so he might think this is the best chance he has got to finally win one, as the chances of winning the Champions League with Arsenal looks extremely unlikely at this stage of his career.

David Villa gets the call up for Spain's upcoming games against Italy and Lichtenstein. Thinking this gotta be a wake up call for Diego Costa. Partying in Brazil all summer to prove a point to Chelsea just cost him his spot on the squad for a 35 year old whom hasn't played for the national team in three years. 

In other old man news, RVP gets the call up to Netherlands for first time since 2015. 

4 hours ago, JordanJH1993 said:

I agree. I can't see Wenger sending out Premier League level starting XIs in the group stage of the competition.

Arsenal's squad is so big that they have an entire second XI of players with years of PL experience.  They can easily rotate players without weakening the squad that much.  It may even be the only way to provide game time to seasoned professionals.  Of their outfield players, probably only Sanchez, Ozil and Koscielny are far better than their replacements; and Ozil is questionable on recent form. 

Ox to Pool rumors seem to be resurfacing. I wouldn't mind seeing Ox at Liverpool. He can be used in the box-to-box role; he is strong, good in tight space, got pace and can turn players. He can also be used as a winger to give salah/mane a break if needed. The big question would be his fitness, not sure how injury-prone he would be, specially in Liverpool's physically intensive style.

Chamberlain seems to see himself as a centre midfielder; for that reason, going to Liverpool would probably be better for him than going to Chelsea. It appears Chelsea want him to provide competition for Moses and Alonso at wing back, where he has finally become first choice at Arsenal and still doesn't seem content at the club.

One of the stranger transfer rumours gathering is that of Mustafi. It seems there is a real chance Arsenal will sell him should Juve or Inter come in with an offer of £35m, the same fee Arsenal paid for him. I didn't think he had a bad first season in the Premier League. There were more positive signs from him than negative, at least that's what I thought.

Considering the injury problems Koscielny has, I would have thought keeping Mustafi would be vital, especially with no other centre back being lined up. There are the VVD rumours, but he is linked to just about every top Premier League club.

Should Arsenal sell Mustafi and Chamberlain - and dare I say it, Alexis - without bringing in another top quality replacements, the Wenger out bridgade will be back in full force. 

In reality, Arsenal have only spent £50m on Lacazette this summer. They sold Szczęsny and Gabriel for £10m a piece, which makes a net spent of £30m. Not really looking like last season was a 'catalyst for change' after all.

16 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

So jealous watching Mendy. Exactly the sort of player we needed.

Spurs are about to get Aurier too, Jose apparently not that fussed about getting a LB at this stage. To be fair, I think it's okay giving Shaw one more chance to stay fit and get some form together. If he clicks, he's just as good as either man potentially.

I'm more jealous of Bernardo Silva really.

eta: wait Aurier's a right-back what am I talking about.

City looked fairly average throughout. Very fortunate to get the three points imo. Didn't really understand why the ref had even let play go on long enough for Sterling to get that goal :dunno: 

With so much attacking talent in the squad it's always a surprise to see them perform so pedestrian in games. 

47 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

I'm more jealous of Bernardo Silva really..

Yeah City might've overpaid for some defenders but Silva will probably be looked back on as a bargain with how crazy the market has gone this window. 

3 minutes ago, JordanJH1993 said:

Looked like it was a yellow for the celebration and second yellow for dissent.

No, he got one just before the goal for a foul, then the second one for the celebration.

Harsh one really: it's not Sterling's fault the supporters piled on to the pitch.

15 minutes ago, Mark Antony said:

Didn't really understand why the ref had even let play go on long enough for Sterling to get that goal :dunno:

There was some time lost during added on time when Afobe went down injured and also the ref having to go to the touchline to calm Pep down. More egregious was the foul call leading up to the goal. The Bournemouth player (can't recall who) won the ball cleanly.

Archived