Football: The grind begins

Mexal

Zlatan was not really a secret at all. Mourinho confirmed a while back that the club were in talks with him over a new contract. The only question was whether it would be a 6 month or 1 year contract. Now we know. Glad he is back to bolster our attacking ranks for the short term until we, hopefully, make a move for Griezmann. Zlatan himself is eyeing an October return but that seems very optimistic - an ACL rupture is no joke. Don't think we should take any risks with him - a mid to late December return in time for the festive season/January fixture congestion would be great. Rojo is expected to be back around that time too.

If Barca don't land a forward to replace Neymar, which is looking increasingly likely, I could see Man United and Barca in a bidding war over Griezmann next year.

It would be interesting to see Zlatan and Lukaku play together, but I can't see that happening too often, other than if Man United were chasing a game and Jose decided to stick the two men up front together. Pogba and Zlatan had been developing a partnership as last season progressed, as he appears to doing with Lukaku now.

It is quite safe to say Man United have the best balanced squad in the league. The best goalkeeper in the league and the best back up goalkeeper in the league. Plenty of numbers at CB and FB. Their midfield has bulked up with the addition of Matic, to the point that last season's player of the year for many, Ander Herrera, has struggled for minutes in the two opening league games. Lukaku, Zlatan, Rashford and Martial can all play centre forward and are all brilliant finishers. The wings would be the only play I could see them needing a player. Not that they are short in options with Mata, Young, Mhkhitaryan, Lingard, Rashford and Martial. Just that they lack a more old school type winger that would actually go outside and give them width. Only Young really fits that description in what they have, but he would be furthest down the pecking order out of the lot.

I think we are a bit weak in the full back positions attacking-wise. Aside from Valencia (and potentially Shaw), none of the others offer much going forward and Shaw has a big question mark hanging over his fitness.

Think Barca will eventually stump up the money for Dembele as they are properly desperate now and Watzke has said that Dembele will be allowed to leave so long as Barca meet Dortmund's asking price. The kid has also behaved like a real cunt and burned his bridges at BVB. I don't see a deal for Coutinho being possible at this late stage and it's unbelievable that they pulled the plug on Seri after, reportedly, an agreement was reached with both club and player.

Just now, ljkeane said:

Apparently Messi hasn't actually signed the contract extension he agreed over the summer yet either. I doubt he'll end up leaving but it puts an extra bit of pressure on for Barcelona's board to start looking competent.

The whole thing with Messi, Suarez, Pique etc hanging out with Neymar on the day Barca sued him was a bit of an FU to the directors. It really doesn't seem peaceful at the Camp Nou. I can't see Messi not signing the contract, but I think he is wanting some kind of assurances from the board that the club are trying to avoid going any further backwards.

Just waiting for Pique's selfie with Messi, 'Se queda'.

The first team drawn is Porto, who have to be put in a blue group because of Benfica’s presence in a red one. So it’s Group G for them, where they join Monaco.

Atlético Madrid come next, and they join Chelsea in Group C!

Then it’s time for Manchester United, and they will be with Benfica in Group A!

Paris St-Germain come out, and because of Monaco’s draw they can only be in groups B (with Bayern Munich) or D (with Juventus), which is a pretty tough spot for them to be in. They go in Group B!

Manchester City go into Group F with Shakhtar Donetsk, the lucky scamps!

Sevilla join Spartak Moscow in Group E, and Borussia Dortmund head into Group H with Real Madrid.

Group of Death alert! All of that draw-making means there’s nowhere for Barcelona to go except in Group D with Juventus!

Liverpool get Group E, with Spartak Moscow and Sevilla  wohoo!! :)

edit: Spurs in group H with Real Madrid and Borussia Dortmund! :D

Anderlecht are first out of this plastic hat, and they are deposited in Group B with Bayern Munich and Paris St-Germain.

Next out come Basel, who slip into Group A with Benfica and Manchester United!

Besiktas head into Group G with Monaco and Porto.

Roma head into Group C with Chelsea and Atlético Madrid!

Olympiakos are out next and forced into Group D with Juventus and Barcelona, meaning that Napoli head into Manchester City’s Group F, with Shakhtar Donetsk!

Heh, there's some brutal groups and some really easy groups here, and of course United are in the easiest group. Relatively easier group for Liverpool too.

Spurs in with Real and Dortmund. Focus on the league for them again this year then.

The groups as they stand:

Group A: Benfica, Manchester United, Basel
Group B: Bayern Munich, Paris St-Germain, Anderlecht
Group C: Chelsea, Atlético Madrid, Roma
Group D: Juventus, Barcelona, Olympiakos
Group E: Spartak Moscow, Sevilla, Liverpool
Group F: Shakhtar Donetsk, Manchester City, Napoli
Group G: Monaco, Porto, Besiktas
Group H: Real Madrid, Borussia Dortmund, Tottenham

Champions League group stage draw in full!

Group A: Benfica, Manchester United, Basel, CSKA Moscow
Group B: Bayern Munich, Paris St-Germain, Anderlecht, Celtic
Group C: Chelsea, Atlético Madrid, Roma, Qarabag
Group D: Juventus, Barcelona, Olympiakos, Sporting Clube de Portugal
Group E: Spartak Moscow, Sevilla, Liverpool, Maribor
Group F: Shakhtar Donetsk, Manchester City, Napoli, Feyenoord
Group G: Monaco, Porto, Besiktas, Leipzig
Group H: Real Madrid, Borussia Dortmund, Tottenham, Apoel Nicosia

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DIAnIWRW0AEE9oa.jpg

6 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Barca agree fee for Dembele, does that relieve liverpool fans? Or do we think they try for both?

Talk is they're going to put in another bid, despite the weird ultimatum over the weekend and Coutinho/his advisors clearly giving up on the move and leaking stories about the poor lad being 'manipulated', but I don't think it makes any difference.

Good draws for United, Liverpool and City, although I'm sure United and Liverpool would rather not have to go to Moscow. A slightly tricky draw for Chelsea and a bad draw for Spurs.

Decent draws for Liverpool, United and City. Tough draw for Chelsea (especially considering they play United, City, Arsenal and Liverpool following CL games which includes a long away trip to Azerbaijan) and Spurs. Group G looks interesting as all four teams will fancy their chances of not only going through but topping the group as well.

5 minutes ago, Iskaral Pust said:

Yeah, not a bad draw for Liverpool, although those opponents may be less willing to come out and attack us.  Starting from pot 3, only group G could have been easier. 

Tough draw for Spurs and a challenge for Chelsea too. 

I'm not sure Group G is easier. I think Spartak is probably a much easier opponent than Monaco. Same for Maribor being easier than Liepzig. Sevilla is probably tougher than Porto, but not by a wide margin.

Happy enough with that draw for Chelsea. The worst part of it is the away trip to Azerbaijan and the fact we have very difficult games in the league during the weeks the fixtures will be played. I still feel we will get through, though.

On a side note, poor Celtic always get the hardest of groups!

40 minutes ago, Iskaral Pust said:

Yeah, not a bad draw for Liverpool, although those opponents may be less willing to come out and attack us.  Starting from pot 3, only group G could have been easier. 

Tough draw for Spurs and a challenge for Chelsea too. 

Maybe, maybe not. Group G might look like an easier group on paper, since they have a relatively light team from pot A, but it looks like the most competitive Group to me. I could see any of the four teams making it. Besiktas (Pot 3 like Liverpool) is arguably the weakest team in that Group, but Istanbul away is not a walk in the either..

On the other hand Liverpool has a fairly nice Group. It has two heavy hitters with Sevilla and Liverpool, and two teams with Moscow and Maribor they should be able to kill off with relative ease. If I was a scouser with the objective to reach the next round I'd rather play this Group with two relative light weights. If the aim was to win a group than G might have been easier, but at the same time it's also riskier as the Group looks overall more competitive to me.

Just look on the bright side, you could have easily ended up in something like Group B alongside Bayern and Paris. Or in D wih Barca and Juve. Or you could swap places with Spurs. I am sure they'd love to have your problems.

So the draw was already rather kind to you.

1 hour ago, BigFatCoward said:

Barca agree fee for Dembele, does that relieve liverpool fans? Or do we think they try for both?

Everyone other than Spurs doing ok so far, especially if Dortmund spend that windfall wisely.  

Nope. Watzke stated no decission, yet.

Archived