Star Trek: Discovery #2, set phasers to stunned.

SerHaHa

6 hours ago, RumHam said:

I mentioned this before and that would be so weird. But there is precedent. At least one of the Klingons from the original show showed up on DS9 with the (at the time) modern Klingon look. 

If you're referring to Arne Darvin in Trials and Tribble-ations, he was actually a Klingon altered to look human. The tribbles knew the difference still! 

Can't believe I just linked a page from Memory Alpha (suppose that's better than Memory Beta?). 

25 minutes ago, Aemon Stark said:

If you're referring to Arne Darvin in Trials and Tribble-ations, he was actually a Klingon altered to look human. The tribbles knew the difference still! 

Can't believe I just linked a page from Memory Alpha (suppose that's better than Memory Beta?). 

No, at least one of the three Klingons from the episode where Dax helps them kill the albino Klingon was from TOS. Here you go:

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Kor

14 hours ago, DaveSumm said:

Wouldn’t it have been way easier to just leave the door open for a cure? Maybe they just found an antidote sometime between TOS and DS9. 

Dorn cannot appear in Discovery makeup. Not ever, fuck that.

I haven't seen the episode of Enterprise in quite some time so they might have done just that.  

45 minutes ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

I haven't seen the episode of Enterprise in quite some time so they might have done just that.  

Wait, I’ve got it ... they thought they’d found a cure, but it accidentally made their hair fall out and heads swell up in strange ways (DSC), it was blamed for the foolhardy attempt to invade the Federation so they abandoned it. Then found a proper cure about 20 years later.

I don't mind if they retcon the retconned Klingons. The new look is interesting, but it's a bit too out there - and the prosthetics seemed to really be excessive for the actors too. Klingons need to be expressive and individual. 

DS9's handling of the situation - "We don't talk about it" - was absolutely perfect. That's all we needed. It was a thing, move on.

Enterprise's handling of the situation - bullshit multi-episode arc with phoned-in Brent Spiner performance - was painful. Just a really bad idea for all concerned. Don't even go there. Like, if you needed to go there, just have Rick Berman walk on set and just say, "Hey! The guys back in 1966 didn't have the money to the make the Klingons look more non-human, so they changed the makeup when they did have the money! Have fun!"

That whole thing was mind-bogglingly awful.

7 hours ago, Werthead said:

"Hey! The guys back in 1966 didn't have the money to the make the Klingons look more non-human, so they changed the makeup when they did have the money! Have fun!"

I faintly remember that Gene Roddenberry used to say something along these lines. That we should all pretend that the Klingons always looked like this.

The fourth Abramsverse Trek movie is in trouble.

In deals made before Beyond, Paramount laid down some serious cash to keep the cast interested, as well as retaining Chris Hemsworth to return as Kirk's dad in an idea conceived by JJ Abrams. Then Beyond crashed at the box office, and Paramount had to reconsider their options, including potentially junking the Abramsverse and doing a total reboot with Quentin Tarantino. Tarantino committed to other projects and put Trek on the backburner until 2020, so Paramount decided earlier this year to move forward with the Abrams plan. It sounds like they've asked everyone to take pay cuts to make the movie more affordable and everyone has agreed apart from Chrises Pine and Hemsworth.

Apparently negotiations have stalled and the Chrises have walked from negotiations, leaving Paramount in a very awkward position. They could justify paying Hemsworth what he'd agreed in 2016 - he's a big star who's appeared in six Marvel movies since his last Star Trek appearance - but they could also just recast him (he was really not that big a deal in the 2009 film). Pine is much more of a problem. He's the star of the franchise and I imagine is leveraging his Wonder Woman performance to keep his pay, but that's not hugely convincing. In addition, if Paramount keep paying Pine what they did previously, they'll risk pissing off the rest of the cast (especially Saldana, now arguably the biggest name in the cast, and Quinto who is effectively co-lead).

I suspect they'll recast Hemsworth or change the story to omit Kirk's dad and then use that to leverage Pine's pay down. I can't see them recasting Kirk (again!) and after Beyond's performance they're kind of lucky to be getting another movie in the same timeline at all, so they may ultimately decide to do a full reboot or wait until Tarantino is available.

What's your favorite Trek themes?

Mine:

1.  TMP/TNG/Trek V/First Contact - Jerry Goldsmith
  2. Wrath of Kahn & Search For Spock - James Horner
  3. TOS - Alexander Courage
  4. DS9 - Dennis McCarthy
  5. Trek IV - Leonard Rosenman
  6. Voyager - Jerry Goldsmith

1,000,000,000. Star Trek: Enterprise

ETA:

But honorable mention to alternate Enterprise theme using Perfect Strangers' theme

IF that were really the theme I'd put it at #4.

On 8/12/2018 at 2:10 AM, drawkcabi said:

What's your favorite Trek themes?

Mine:

1.  TMP/TNG/Trek V/First Contact - Jerry Goldsmith
  2. Wrath of Kahn & Search For Spock - James Horner
  3. TOS - Alexander Courage
  4. DS9 - Dennis McCarthy
  5. Trek IV - Leonard Rosenman
  6. Voyager - Jerry Goldsmith

1,000,000,000. Star Trek: Enterprise

ETA:

But honorable mention to alternate Enterprise theme using Perfect Strangers' theme

IF that were really the theme I'd put it at #4.

If we're doing alternates we have this

Or this 

But I'm not going to lie I really like Generations.  

Archived