Star Trek: Discovery #2, set phasers to stunned.

SerHaHa

46 minutes ago, Ran said:

The language in the statements -- the new stage of Picard's career, the generations new and old -- make me think the academy angle is likely.

I suppose he can sometimes lead training tours that inevitably get into trouble.

You're so right and ugh. I don't wan't this to be  picard playing dumbledore to the first borg admitted to the academy.

1 hour ago, RumHam said:

You're so right and ugh. I don't wan't this to be  picard playing dumbledore to the first borg admitted to the academy.

Stewart made a surprise appearance at a Las Vegas con to tell fans the news, and provided some more info. Starts at about the 10:20 mark, the details

In brief:

* Picard _may_ no longer be a captain

* Picard may be very different from when we last saw him on Nemesis

* Takes place 20 years after Nemesis

* The show will be "very different" from shows that came before.

All together, I'm more convinced we'll be seeing Commandant Jean-Luc Picard of Starfleet Academy.

Mmh... I guess that is one possibility. But in most EU works, like the books or Star Trek Online which takes place in just that timeframe, Picard ditches the Captain's chair to become full-time diplomat. I... admit that I don't trust CBS to be brave enough to build a show around such an episodic and fairly thinking-heavy concept. Then again, I also don't trust them to make a show around Starfleet Academy and not make it some kind of CW attractive young people worrying about their relationships trash.

I'd rather have Stewart making a cameo on The Orville...

I also don't trust them to make a show around Starfleet Academy and not make it some kind of CW attractive young people worrying about their relationships trash.

I, on the other hand, trust them to do exactly that.

The BBC article about the news suggested it was going to tell us what's happened since nemesis. My hope was that this would chart the last 20 years with Stewart playing the character throughout. But that's probably me just projecting my wish to see what's happened to Starfleet since the end of voyager

Yeah, Stewart certainly doesn't look hugely older than when he was in Nemesis (the people saying he hasn't aged at all since ST:TNG's first episode are definitely being a bit blinkered though), but he sounds a lot older, so I think him playing Picard as a younger man is definitely out.

What is interesting is that Picard was a lot older than Stewart: according to the canonical materials prepared at the time (which the new team may not be following, of course), Picard was born in 2305, which made him 59 when he assumed command of the Enterprise-D, 66 when the show ended and 74 during the events of Nemesis. Assuming this new show takes place 20 years after Nemesis, in 2399, Picard would be 94. The idea in the Trek timeline is that humans can live to a maximum potential age of 140-ish in reasonable health thanks to excellent healthcare, so that still works.

My guess is that the story will be about Picard in retirement, possibly after being an ambassador (not sure where the Starfleet Command thing is coming from, it's common in most media to show Picard as a Federation ambassador after leaving Starfleet, most notably in All Good Things which I'd be surprised they weren't looking at for this new show, as it is set in this time frame), and something goes down that requires his advice and input. It'd also be interesting to see if any of the other Next Generation era characters show up. Frakes will almost certainly direct an episode (or a few).

15 hours ago, Toth said:

Mmh... I guess that is one possibility. But in most EU works, like the books or Star Trek Online which takes place in just that timeframe, Picard ditches the Captain's chair to become full-time diplomat. I... admit that I don't trust CBS to be brave enough to build a show around such an episodic and fairly thinking-heavy concept. Then again, I also don't trust them to make a show around Starfleet Academy and not make it some kind of CW attractive young people worrying about their relationships trash.

I'd rather have Stewart making a cameo on The Orville...

The books and games have never been even remotely canon or even pretended to be.

Picard could easily be the equivalent of Boothby for a new generation of cadets.

As big as they implied he was to young Picard, that would not be surprising.

4 hours ago, Werthead said:

It'd also be interesting to see if any of the other Next Generation era characters show up. Frakes will almost certainly direct an episode (or a few).

Probably, Dorn was gonna play an ancestor of Worf's on Discovery but they didn't offer him enough money. (hm are we gonna see Picard alongside these new Klingons? It'd be totally weird seeing Worf re-imagined like that.) 

Anyway I hope they don't just try to get the TNG cast back. I'd love to see captain Nog or an adult Jake Sisko. Or maybe Tuvok he was ok. Man it's crazy how much more likable and interesting the DS9 crew was than Voyagers....

Edit: If they do use the new klingons, then Data being old seem pretty minor. They didn't seem to care when Franks was noticeably older in the Enterprise finale. 

8 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

Huh, didn't Spiner do a commercial as Data a few years ago? I remember he looked fine, though it may have been old footage.

Never saw it, I was just assuming he had aged more than an android should. 

2 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

Probably, but they might be able to CGI some of it. Of course there’s the problem that Data technically died in Nemesis.

I seem to remember he was back in some prequel comic for the first new movie. 

12 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

The books and games have never been even remotely canon or even pretended to be.

Thanks. Very helpful comment. Wouldn't have ever known that otherwise.

Come on, all we do is speculating here and all I did was point out that Picard had a very in-character tendency to go into diplomacy full-time. Also, like Werthead pointed out and even I had not been aware anymore, Picard was stated to have become Ambassador in the All good Things alternate future timeline. So... it's kind of a convergence point for his future career...

And with that I drop out of this discussion, because I'm only interested if the first reviews say that it isn't utter garbage.

Wasn’t Data doing something like putting gray in his hair to make himself look older on purpose?

Also, I figured Data’s consciousness is going full on Search for Spock in the prototype body.

The best thing would be to have Picard wake up in his quarters having dreamt Discovery sonit can just fade away.. 

Ultimately, can they really do a decent Picard show 20 years post Nemesis and not have other characters appear?

And the novels are not canon, that's true, but using it as the baseline for a post Nemesis world 20 years later with the Federation in a protracted cold war with the Typhon Pact would be a great setting.

One assumes all mention or thought of the Kelvin stuff is ignore competely.

4 hours ago, Rhom said:

Wasn’t Data doing something like putting gray in his hair to make himself look older on purpose?

Also, I figured Data’s consciousness is going full on Search for Spock in the prototype body.

Yeah, in the TNG finale he was. And yeah that's what happened with Data. He talks to Spock about the similarities of their situations before Spock gets sucked back in time in that comic I mentioned. Which was supposed to be canon at least at the time. 

4 hours ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

If we see Worf is he going to look like a Discovery Klingon?

I mentioned this before and that would be so weird. But there is precedent. At least one of the Klingons from the original show showed up on DS9 with the (at the time) modern Klingon look. 

1 hour ago, RumHam said:

Yeah, in the TNG finale he was. And yeah that's what happened with Data. He talks to Spock about the similarities of their situations before Spock gets sucked back in time in that comic I mentioned. Which was supposed to be canon at least at the time. 

I mentioned this before and that would be so weird. But there is precedent. At least one of the Klingons from the original show showed up on DS9 with the (at the time) modern Klingon look. 

They retconned that on Enterprise, Phlox had speculated that maybe plastic surgery would become common to restore them to their natural appearance.

50 minutes ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

They retconned that on Enterprise, Phlox had speculated that maybe plastic surgery would become common to restore them to their natural appearance.

ooh right I forgot about that bullshit. 

Archived