Upcoming TV Series of 2018/2019 - Your most anticipated shows

AncalagonTheBlack

On 6/26/2018 at 12:45 PM, AncalagonTheBlack said:

A Discovery of Witches Season 1 Trailer (2018) Sky Series starring Matthew Goode ,Teresa Palmer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Sy9Jzd5lU8

Premieres Mid September apparently.

On 7/18/2018 at 3:13 PM, red snow said:

As long as there's no singing I'll be watching this. Hated the Russell crowe musical and was left frustrated because I like the setting.

That preview had some surprises. I was unaware they had made a war of the worlds series.

The question is when they land could be anywhere from yesterday to Xmas. I thought Dr who was still a way off?

Same feeling when I heard about Les Mis. I thought it would be musical yet again but if played straight up as drama I might watch it.

War of the Worlds also looks interesting in the trailer. Bodyguard also, Madden looks great in it.

On 7/20/2018 at 4:13 PM, GallowKnight said:

First proper trailer for Sons of Anarchy spin-off Mayans MC

I thought it was interesting and it added appeal when Ed Olmos showed up as the dad.

On 7/17/2018 at 6:39 PM, RedEyedGhost said:

I watched the first episode last night and thought it was terribly boring.  I did snicker a little when he got the senators/congressmen to read the malarky about arming "exceptional" students with guns in schools, and getting the art studio owner to cut off and give him some of her pubic hair.  The latter tells just how weird artist can be if something like that doesn't faze her.

Personally, I felt like the art studio lady realized that the whole thing was a bunch of bullshit and just decided to play along.  Even Cohen seemed shocked when she agreed to give him her pubes, which I think is why she did it.

I agree that, on the whole, the first episode was boring, though.  I thought they did a nice job of finding both crazy and reasonable people on both sides of the aisle, but the interviews just weren't funny or compelling enough, as they were mostly just Cohen acting like an asshole.  The best stuff was definitely the clips they showed of politicians ready and willing to read whatever he told them to in those fake ads, which were especially funny after the one reasonable politician said no one in their right mind would just read whatever they were told to without doing any research.

THE FIRST (2018) Sean Penn Sci-Fi Hulu Series

Starring Sean Penn, all episodes of the Hulu Original Series The First lands September 14, only on Hulu.

ABOUT THE FIRST
The First is created by Beau Willimon (House of Cards) and stars Sean Penn. Set in the near future (2030), this groundbreaking story explores the challenges of taking the first steps towards Mars.Viewers will get an intimate look at the dedicated characters trying to reach the unknown while dealing with the psychological and physical toll it takes to achieve the impossible.

Penn, who is playing astronaut Tom Hagerty.Also stars Natascha McElhone, Rey Lucas, LisaGay Hamilton, and James Ransone

Here’s the official synopsis for The First:

Sean Penn leads an ensemble cast in this near-future drama about a crew of astronauts attempting to become the first humans on Mars. Under the direction of visionary aerospace magnate Laz Ingram (Natascha McElhone), the crew contends with peril and personal sacrifice as they undertake the greatest pioneering feat in human history.

"Peak Television" has been invoked so often, yet it feels that peak tv has more than peaked in the last two years.  The announcements for new series seems to be exclusively for sequels, prequels, reboots and comix franchises.  Plus stand-up comedy shows and documentaries. Brilliant, original scripted drama seems over. There has been nothing announced for the 2018 fall season that excited me in the least, whether for theaters or for television, with the single exception of the British Discovery of Witches.

I have a mild interest for the third and final season of Versailles, mild because it's dealing with a peripheral matter, the man in the iron mask, rather than central matters of Louis XIV's very long reign.  A mild interest for the final season of Peaky Blinders because it has already been stretched too thin in the previous two seasons.  

I do have hopes for the next season of Narcos, as it is new cast, new location, new era, centered in Mexico, which has everything to make something good.  And for The Last Kingdom, as it is adapted from work by a very television savvy, very savvy historical novelist.

But this is a very small list for the enormous amount of tv being thrown at us, particularly by the likes of netflix -- which has been piling up heaps of at best mediocre offerings at best, and more and more steaming heaps of outright shyte -- as with its incredibly bad -- and downright ignorant presentation of Julius Caesar.

CAMPING Teaser Trailer (HD) Jennifer Garner, David Tennant HBO Series

THE ROMANOFFS Teaser (HD) Aaron Eckhart, Christina Hendricks Amazon Series

LORE Season 2 Official Trailer (HD) Amazon Anthology Series

MR. MERCEDES Season 2 Trailer (2018) Stephen King Series

On 7/25/2018 at 3:38 PM, Corvinus said:

Yeah, I have trouble with that, too.

I don't.  Older people if free from cancer will less likely get it because their cells aren't dividing as often as younger folk.  So space agencies want to send older astronauts for long duration missions to Mars, because of the exposure to cosmic radiation will be less risky for them.  Plus it's going to take a lot of cross-training in different disciplines (geology/engineering/medicine etc) so those older will more likely be qualified IF you're going with a small crew of 4-8 people.  Musk's plan to send 100 people on an near-term mission wouldn't have to cross-train people so much; but there are plenty of people cross-training themselves anyway so it wouldn't really be a problem finding them.  If I can afford a ticket then I'm going.

1 hour ago, SpaceChampion said:

I don't.  Older people if free from cancer will less likely get it because their cells aren't dividing as often as younger folk.  So space agencies want to send older astronauts for long duration missions to Mars, because of the exposure to cosmic radiation will be less risky for them.  Plus it's going to take a lot of cross-training in different disciplines (geology/engineering/medicine etc) so those older will more likely be qualified IF you're going with a small crew of 4-8 people.  Musk's plan to send 100 people on an near-term mission wouldn't have to cross-train people so much; but there are plenty of people cross-training themselves anyway so it wouldn't really be a problem finding them.  If I can afford a ticket then I'm going.

If only it were rates of cell division that was a factor. It's much more the accumulated number of divisions meaning there's more opportunities for errors mounting up. There's a reason why older people are more likely to get cancer.

I agree with your sentiment regarding acquisition of skills. Older people may also be better at handling the mental stress depending on their backgrounds. From what I've read of space missions experience outweighs youth in most cases.

Sending older people is only less risky in the sense people who may already have grown up kids (or never had them) may be more willing to go on a mission that they may never return from and will probably leave them with disabilities for the rest of their lives should they return.

58 isn't that old for an astronaut. Nasa recruit between 26-46 so with training you can get people 50+. Astronauts often go on multiple missions (why invest in a new one each time) and the oldest astronaut was 77 John glenn. It's probably more our skewed sense of representation in fiction and equated astronauts with sports athletes which makes it seem outlandish

2 hours ago, SpaceChampion said:

Leave it to the expert to clarify this. :cheers:

Speaking of cosmic radiation, how does NASA, SpaceX, and whoever else working on similar projects, plan to protect astronauts on the months long journeys?

2 hours ago, Corvinus said:

Leave it to the expert to clarify this. :cheers:

Speaking of cosmic radiation, how does NASA, SpaceX, and whoever else working on similar projects, plan to protect astronauts on the months long journeys?

All methods either use mass or fields.  The form of radiation is either highly energetic particles or a wide range of light at different wavelengths.  Mass protects against light, and magnetic fields protect against particles.  For mass, water is probably best because you have to bring it anyway and the hydrogen in it is relatively close together providing a better screen from radiation.  

For some highly energetic cosmic radiation there isn't a good solution so you want to reduce the time exposed to the risk as much as possible -- SpaceX wants to go to Mars at high velocity and use the atmosphere to slow down.  The bigger the ship, the better that will work.  NASA seems stuck on the idea of going slow enough that they can gently slip into Mars orbit and make landing as gentle as possible in a ship as small as possible.  So NASA mission designs take 9-12 months to travel to Mars while SpaceX takes 80-110 days.

But in truth the radiation risk looks to be exaggerated, because it's not much more than what astronauts on the ISS face, except for those pesky cosmic radiation we can't do anything about except go fast.

Of the current crop of new shows the ones I will definitely check out are "Trust", which has season 1 finished I see, and "Yellowstone". Those look very interesting.

Also interested but somewhat wary of "Castle Rock" and "Sharp Objects".

1 hour ago, Calibandar said:

Of the current crop of new shows the ones I will definitely check out are "Trust", which has season 1 finished I see, and "Yellowstone". Those look very interesting.

Also interested but somewhat wary of "Castle Rock" and "Sharp Objects".

Why are you wary of Sharp Objects? It’s been excellent so far. 

It seems very slow from the bits I've seen, and not sure I'm actually interested in the story.

However I really like this director's work normally, Vallee. His movies tends to be good to very good.

6 minutes ago, Calibandar said:

It seems very slow from the bits I've seen, and not sure I'm actually interested in the story.

However I really like this director's work normally, Vallee. His movies tends to be good to very good.

It is kind of a slow burn so far, but I’ve not been bored with an episode yet. It’s worth watching for Amy Adams alone.

Just saw the director also did Big Little Lies. Another really good HBO series. 

6 hours ago, Nictarion said:

It is kind of a slow burn so far, but I’ve not been bored with an episode yet. It’s worth watching for Amy Adams alone.

Just saw the director also did Big Little Lies. Another really good HBO series. 

Didn't realise he had done BLL until this week but the similar styling is very apparent in hindsight. Particularly the final scene of this week's episode, had me thinking of the final confrontation scene at the party in Big Little Lies.

Anywho, agreed that both are excellent

34 minutes ago, SpaceChampion said:

Having just finished season 3 I'm glad to hear there is another one finally on the way. As long as noah Hawley is involved I'm in. I think legion let's him go full on crazy while he can work wonders within the limitations of the Fargo setting. Although after the UFO in season 2 and the whole bowling alley scene in season 3 I'd say there weren't too many limitations on Fargo

Escape at Dannemora Trailer (2018) Benicio Del Toro Showtime Mini-Series

BODYGUARD Trailer (2018) Keeley Hawes, Richard Madden BBC Series

KIDDING Trailer #2 (2018) Jim Carrey Showtime Series

THE INNOCENTS Trailer #2 (HD) Netflix Sci-fi Series

THE DEUCE Season 2 Trailer (2018) HBO Series

MR. INBETWEEN Trailer (2018) FX Series

MANIAC Trailer (2018) Emma Stone, Jonah Hill Netflix Series

Archived