Sexual Assault Scandals 3- the Fempire Strikes Back

Kelli Fury

3 hours ago, TrueMetis said:

Why does how mainstream a belief is factor into someone's credibility? Beliefs aren't more credible because a lot of people believe them.

Because believing in something that a lot of other people believe in is incredibly common and extraordinarily human, even if it is kind of weird for other people. Believing in something outlandish such as a magical sky fairy that created everything is not particularly outlandish when you believe in it because everyone around you does. 

Same  goes for birtherism. And climate denial. 

Just now, Kalbear said:

Because believing in something that a lot of other people believe in is incredibly common and extraordinarily human, even if it is kind of weird for other people. Believing in something outlandish such as a magical sky fairy that created everything is not particularly outlandish when you believe in it because everyone around you does. 

I don't see how that at all makes the belief more credible. Accepting something because a lot of people believe it is literally a fallacy.

16 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

Not to disagree with your overall point, but religion is a bit different than birtherism. It's not like folks were raised to believe that Obama isn't a citizen of the United States. 

I think the point is that believing something that is factually wrong doesn't affect your truthfulness.  If a person actually believes that Obama was born in Kenya, then that person telling others that Obama was born in Kenya doesn't make that person more or less likely to lie.  Only if that person believed that Obama was born in the US and then claimed that Obama was born in Kenya would such a statement be evidence that the person is untruthful.

Does anyone have any evidence that Tweeden knew or believed that Obama was born in the US when she made her birther statements?  If not, then I don't think it's appropriate to use her birther statements as evidence of her untruthfulness.

If you can show that Tweeden has a propensity to lie, meaning knowingly telling a falsehood, about something important, then I think that's fair game.

6 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

Naw, they surrender their humanity when they become Nazis.

You do realize that you just declared my grandfather and my great-grandfather inhuman?

Rest assured, they were human. They did really terrible things, but they still were just as human as you and me.

11 minutes ago, Dr. Pepper said:

Isn't she the one who wrote about molesting her sister and then got pissed when people told her she wrote about molesting her sister?

I think that is correct, but given the age it happened (I think she was quite young) its not clear that whether she understood what she was doing was problematic.

34 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I think that is correct, but given the age it happened (I think she was quite young) its not clear that whether she understood what she was doing was problematic.

She was an adult when she wrote and laughed about it.  

11 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Yup.  That was not cool, but at the time she may not have understood what she was doing.

Are you joking?  There's no reason to try to minimize what she wrote about just because she might have been young.  The action (molestation!) can still be incredibly harmful to the one being molested.  Worse, she wrote about it and laughed about it and editors and publishers thought it was perfectly sensible to include it in a book.  It's beyond "not cool".  It's all shit that contributes to rape culture.  

2 hours ago, Dr. Pepper said:

Are you joking?  There's no reason to try to minimize what she wrote about just because she might have been young.  The action (molestation!) can still be incredibly harmful to the one being molested.  Worse, she wrote about it and laughed about it and editors and publishers thought it was perfectly sensible to include it in a book.  It's beyond "not cool".  It's all shit that contributes to rape culture.  

Okay this article contains a quote from Lena Dunham's book.  She was 7 years old and was curious about her little sisters vagina.  A 7 year old doing what she describes is not what I would call "molestation".  It's not cool but she wasn't attempting a power play over her sister. 

What are you proposing should be done about what Lena Dunham did when she was 7 years old?

http://www.truthrevolt.org/news/lena-dunham-describes-sexually-abusing-her-toddler-sister

2 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

Lena Dunham is a terrible person and her continuing popularity baffles both me and and just about any actual feminist I know in real life.

I don't know anything about Lena Dunham beyond what I've heard word of mouth and what I just read in the article I linked to.

29 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Okay this article contains a quote from Lena Dunham's book.  She was 7 years old and was curious about her little sisters vagina.  A 7 year old doing what she describes is not what I would call "molestation".  It's not cool but she wasn't attempting a power play over her sister. 

What are you proposing should be done about what Lena Dunham did when she was 7 years old?

http://www.truthrevolt.org/news/lena-dunham-describes-sexually-abusing-her-toddler-sister

Obviously a seven year old shouldn't be blamed. It's fucking weird that, as an adult, she thinks it's a funny story. It could still have fucked up her little sister- she was still molested at a very young age. 

If I was telling funny stories with friends and one of them light heartedly bought up fingering their baby sister when they were a kid I think I'd back away, and make a mental note never to talk to them again. 

Pepper is spot on on this one. I can't believe there is an argument here- molesting children is never something to make light of.

10 minutes ago, mankytoes said:

Obviously a seven year old shouldn't be blamed. It's fucking weird that, as an adult, she thinks it's a funny story. It could still have fucked up her little sister- she was still molested at a very young age. 

If I was telling funny stories with friends and one of them light heartedly bought up fingering their baby sister when they were a kid I think I'd back away, and make a mental note never to talk to them again. 

Pepper is spot on on this one. I can't believe there is an argument here- molesting children is never something to make light of.

I don't think it's funny I don't think it's criminal.  I just sincerely don't know what should be done about it.

Archived