U.S. Politics 2017: He's Good Enough, He's Smart Enough, and GODDAMMIT AL, WTF WERE YOU THINKING?

Manhole Eunuchsbane

1 hour ago, Kalbear said:

I don't know why; 10 years ago if you saw this you would have laughed, and if anyone dared talk about how bad it looked you would have called them a humorless asshole. Heck, that's probably the case 2 years ago. 

Women - and abusing, raping, groping, fondling them, often against their will - has long been a source for humor. Benny Hill basically had half of the skits about that, IIRC. Dane Cook had jokes about raping women with chainsaws a few years back. Bet you a buck that whatever comedy show you like 5 years ago had it in spades. It's everywhere if you want to look for it. Most people don't. 

Shit, even just a year ago that was a rather large contingent of posters here who fought hard at the idea that Bill Clinton was guilty of harassment and who were outraged at the idea that HIllary shouldn't have him front and center in her campaign. 

20 minutes ago, Dr. Pepper said:

Shit, even just a year ago that was a rather large contingent of posters here who fought hard at the idea that Bill Clinton was guilty of harassment and who were outraged at the idea that HIllary shouldn't have him front and center in her campaign. 

I'm sure I was at least part of that, and I was wrong. 

6 minutes ago, maarsen said:

Was the conduct inappropriate due to lack of consent, or was it considered inappropriate due to being same sex?

Good question.

In an interview later Wednesday morning, Rosenberger told cleveland.com there had been an inappropriate interaction in Goodman's Riffe Center office between the married lawmaker and a person not employed by the legislature. Rosenberger wouldn't provide any more details.

Rosenberger spokesman Brad Miller said the interaction was consensual and happened several months ago. Miller said it did not constitute sexual harassment and no complaints of harassment by Goodman were made during his time in the House.

from here

Goodman — a 33-year-old married conservative Christian whose campaign website touted his faith and said supporters regarded him as the “conscience of the conservative moment” — later acknowledged his personal “struggles” and “trials” in a statement released Wednesday. A picture on his site features a smiling Goodman with his wife, Bethany.

“We all bring our own struggles and our own trials into public life,” Goodman said. “That has been true for me, and I sincerely regret that my actions and choices have kept me from serving my constituents and our state in a way that reflects the best ideals of public service. For those whom I have let down, I’m sorry.”

from here

Sounds like consensual same sex stuff from a troubled man.

10 minutes ago, Nasty LongRider said:

Good question.

from here

from here

Sounds like consensual same sex stuff from a troubled man.

Sounds like the biggest public moralists are the ones with the harshest view of their own private morality, the ones with the most that they feel they need to spiritually atone for. And I guess that makes sense. If I was as fucked up a scumbag as Roy Moore, I'd be seeing demons all over the place and in everyone too.

I mentioned the fact in the last thread that McConnell's call for an ethics investigation into Franken's conduct has been seen by some as a good precedent for knocking out Moore, should he be elected. If they dump Franken they can dump Moore, 1 Democrat for 1 Republican, even-steven.

But I am beginning to be more cynical. I think McConnell is a crafty old guy sonovagun and he really does want to open the door to investigating Trump. Even if Moore loses and the Democrat wins, I can see McConnell going full bore against Franken so that people compare the allegations against Franken with the allegations against Trump. I think McConnell probably loathes Trump deeply, and if he could force out a Democratic senator, a crazy Trump, and get a like-minded Pence as president, he has a win-win-win situation, a trifecta of political glory. And fuck Bannon!

4 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

I mentioned the fact in the last thread that McConnell's call for an ethics investigation into Franken's conduct has been seen by some as a good precedent for knocking out Moore, should he be elected. If they dump Franken they can dump Moore, 1 Democrat for 1 Republican, even-steven.

But I am beginning to be more cynical. I think McConnell is a crafty old guy sonovagun and he really does want to open the door to investigating Trump. Even if Moore loses and the Democrat wins, I can see McConnell going full bore against Franken so that people compare the allegations against Franken with the allegations against Trump. I think McConnell probably loathes Trump deeply, and if he could force out a Democratic senator, a crazy Trump, and get a like-minded Pence as president, he has a win-win-win situation, a trifecta of political glory. And fuck Bannon!

I think you're drinking crazy juice.  Never gonna happen.  They might get out Franken, but they won't turn against Trump.  Nope.  

4 minutes ago, Dr. Pepper said:

I think you're drinking crazy juice.  Never gonna happen.  They might get out Franken, but they won't turn against Trump.  Nope.  

Yeah, he's a political survivor and the hack of hacks. He wants to get Moore and Franken. I think he wouldn't like to lose a Senate seat, but he'd be willing to pay that price to get rid of Moore. It could completely destroy Bannon's revolt.

I'm perfectly fine with Franken resigning or retiring. I think it's terrible politics to have him on the ballot at this point. I'd urge anyone who hasn't looked at the picture to do so. I don't know, creep is my main instant response. And creep Senator is a bit like saying you want creep doctors or creep psychologists. They're supposed to be a bit more distinguished than even reps.

Mick Mulvaney to Run Consumer Watchdog Agency He Hates

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2017/11/mick-mulvaney-to-run-consumer-watchdog-agency-he-hates.html

I think Trump is afraid. I think his silence is proof of it.

I think there will be more women talking about more senators and members of congress. I think there will be more discussion about what is and is not acceptable behaviour. I think it's inevitable that a path will be beaten to Trump's door.

A lot hinges on more stuff coming out about various people. But if $15M has been paid in hush money, I think more will come out. If the floodgates open, many will be washed away. :P 

Has anyone else mentioned this? Settlements paid out for sexual harassment suits against members of Congress or staffers are paid for with taxpayer money. The records are sealed, naturally. You have to be a very special Congressperson to open them.

As of now, even members of Congress like Speier don’t have access to that information. The Ethics Committees in the House and Senate can access records from the OOC. But per House rules, the only lawmakers who are allowed to review the settlements are the chairman and ranking member of the House Administration Committee, which oversees the chamber’s internal operations. The funding for the settlements comes from a Treasury Department account dedicated to court judgements and settlements against the federal government. The current Administration Committee chairman, Republican Rep. Gregg Harper of Mississippi, has yet to receive any settlement requests since taking over at the beginning of 2017.

The proposal released Wednesday would allow parties to settle harassment or other discrimination complaints without approval from the House Administration Committee or other congressional panels, although they would still have the authority to set ranges for settlement pay-outs. In addition, members of Congress could not use taxpayer funds to pay for any settlement for a complaint against them, personally. That would have to come from their personal funds.

The legislation, which New York Democrat Kirsten Gillibrand is sponsoring in the Senate, would also get rid of a requirement in the current law that forces victims to sign a non-disclosure agreement to pursue a discrimination complaint through the OOC.

We deserve to know what we're paying for. Tell us which public servants are paying for sexual assault with our money. I'm sure there are plenty of Democrats. Just rip this rotten thing open.

http://www.sacbee.com/news/politics-government/capitol-alert/article184870288.html

This was the change for the Democrats to take the moral highground and they blew it.

Forget about this one bloke, no matter how amazing he seems (not that much, to be honest).

Is it worth it to be debating nuance in sexual harassment now?! We've been waiting so long for this - he has a safe Senate spot and nobody is more important than their society. Our society needs a clearly defined example of sexual harassment being inappropriate. Franken must go, and I won't be in the least sad.

7 minutes ago, Yukle said:

This was the change for the Democrats to take the moral highground and they blew it.

Sorry for cross-posting (just posted this in the Fempire Strikes Back thread), but I think it's an important practical point to consider:

Anyway, Re: Franken, I think announcing retirement is an appropriate solution in principle, but yes, the politics do still matter.  If the extent of his misconduct is that photo and Tweeden's account of the french kiss, I guarantee there is a large (large) swathe of MCs with more egregious behavior.  So, this would set a precedent that Democratic MCs retire.  That'd be fine if ignoring the fact everybody knows GOP members would in no way follow the same standard.  if you think gerrymandering's iniquity is disproportionate... 

2 hours ago, Nasty LongRider said:

This makes me sad.

Geeze, there has been the argument that farming endangered animals is a way of preserving them, and there is some logic to that. After all, cows, sheep, pigs, chickens and horses aren't going extinct any time soon. But there are also some serious flaws to the argument.

But hunting wild populations of endangered animals as a way to conserve a species? That's some tortured logic. What is the logic? Kill 100 animals in a legal way that brings clean money into the local community so as to prevent people from killing 200 animals in an illegal way that brings dirty money in? 

Here's an idea, let's try to help people develop a sustainable economy which does not rely on killing endangered animals?

Archived