Sign in to follow this  
GAROVORKIN

Why Does the Political Right And Left Feel the Need to Demonize Each Other ?

5 hours ago, Altherion said:

Most of the redistribution is between various sectors of industry; the effects on ordinary people are marginal with the exception of those who win the equivalent of a political lottery

Amazing. Every word of what you just said was wrong.

What's more amazing is that people keep responding to these threads. 

Edit: And that I read them...

Edited by Mikael

2 hours ago, Mikael said:

What's more amazing is that people keep responding to these threads. 

Edit: And that I read them...

So far , its been both productive and instructive. :)

Edited by GAROVORKIN

7 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

I don't even know what that means.

You seem to find this topic not to your liking, at least thats the impression I'm getting.:mellow:

Edited by GAROVORKIN

4 hours ago, Let's Get Kraken said:

Roy Moore is the result, not the cause. Ditto the rest of #TheDeplorables. Trump may have cracked this country open, but he didn't create what oozed out.

EDIT: I haven't read this thread yet btw. Is it worth peaking under the rock?

Why don't you read it and find out. :)

Edited by GAROVORKIN

1 hour ago, GAROVORKIN said:

Why don't you read it and find out. :)

1 hour ago, GAROVORKIN said:

So far , its been both productive and instructive. :)

I know emoticons are the same for everyone, but somehow these are coming off like what Patrick Bateman would give if he were an Uber driver asking someone to clarify their address.

46 minutes ago, Let's Get Kraken said:

I know emoticons are the same for everyone, but somehow these are coming off like what Patrick Bateman would give if he were an Uber driver asking someone to clarify their address.

Why don't you read it and find out ?  Does that clarify things ? :)

Edited by GAROVORKIN

20 hours ago, GAROVORKIN said:

Other then animosity ,willful deafness to each other's  points of view  and hardened polarization ,  what does does it contribute to political discussion and dialogue? What if anything does it create other then problems for everybody ?  And why do you suppose so many on the right and left are so unwilling to engage in any kind of meaningful  self criticism of themselves ?  What do you think, has brought us to this current state of affairs? 

I normally don't have answers to these kind of questions, but just this weekend I started a re-watch of one of my favorite shows in recent years, Black Sails. In ep. 3, Flint explains that it's not enough for the king to brand the pirates as criminals or enemies of the state, he needs to brand them as monsters, because that is the only way he can get the full support of his taxpayers. I think this line reflects well why our leadership does this. If you can make your partially or totally ignorant constituency forget that people with different ideologies are still people, not devil worshipers, you can get their full support. As to why they feel the need earn the people's support in this manner, maybe we need to look at what kind of people they themselves are.

This being said, I am of the opinion that the right is far worse at this than the left.

The thrust of this thread is correct. We shouldn't demonize the opposition. We should just look at what they do and judge them based on that.

So the Right supports child-rapists and Nazis. That's why the Left doesn't like them.

And the Right doesn't like the Left because they elected a black man and represents non-whites.

Easy-peasy.

7 minutes ago, Shryke said:

The thrust of this thread is correct. We shouldn't demonize the opposition. We should just look at what they do and judge them based on that.

So the Right supports child-rapists and Nazis. That's why the Left doesn't like them.

And the Right doesn't like the Left because they elected a black man and represents non-whites.

Easy-peasy.

See.  They are both basically the same.

1 hour ago, Inigima said:

How many US politics threads do we need outside of the US politics thread?

I thought  It could be an interesting topic on it's own  and so far , it has managed to foster some interesting commentary.

Edited by GAROVORKIN

A Song of Ice and Fire rose to popularity and fame in good part due to George R.R. Martin's disregard for the traditional good-and-evil and black-and-white dichotomy found throughout the fantasy genre. Instead he focuses on shades of grey and moral ambiguity, showing that there is sympathy and kindness as well as cruelty and hate on both sides of any given  conflict.

In the largest internet forum dedicated to his works, however, you will find most of the fanbase seems not to have noticed. Instead they are far more interested in orcs and elves. They are heroes all in gold and white fighting monstrous goblins who care for naught but destruction and suffering. Perhaps this shouldn't be an ASOIAF forum at all? Perhaps a Chronicles of Narnia theme, or any other such children's story, would better reflect the attitudes and sensibilities of the users here?

Edited by Sun Worshipper

3 minutes ago, Sun Worshipper said:

A Song of Ice and Fire rose to popularity and fame in good part due to George R.R. Martin's disregard for the traditional good-and-evil and black-and-white dichotomy found throughout the fantasy genre. Instead he focuses on shades of grey and moral ambiguity, showing that there is sympathy and kindness as well as cruelty and hate on both sides of any given  conflict.

In the largest internet forum dedicated to his works, however, you will find most of the fanbase seems not to have noticed. Instead they are far more interested in orcs and elves. They are heroes all in gold and white fighting monstrous goblins who care for naught but destruction and suffering. Perhaps this shouldn't be an ASOIAF forum at all? Perhaps a Chronicles of Narnia theme, or any other such children's story, would better reflect the attitudes and sensibilities of the users here?

Both sides have fine people, amirite?

The Republican party backed Roy Moore.

There is nothing more that needs to be said as an example really. Everything else is right-wingers desperately flailing about trying to find some reason why their actions, like their support for a child molester, doesn't make them the baddies.

This thread, if honest, would be titled "Why are left-wingers so mean to us? Doesn't that make them the bad guys too even though we were the ones that backed racists, nazis and pedophiles?"

33 minutes ago, Sun Worshipper said:

Oh so because I read a book I'm supposed to then twist its concept (according to one interpretation) of human morality to fit any situation in the world, and if I'm unable to do so, join a different internet forum? 

That's such a brilliant observation load of top-shelf horse shit. 

9 minutes ago, Shryke said:

The Republican party backed Roy Moore.

There is nothing more that needs to be said as an example really. Everything else is right-wingers desperately flailing about trying to find some reason why their actions, like their support for a child molester, doesn't make them the baddies.

Tbf, most of the GOP leadership called for Moore to step down after the accusations started to surface. Republican voters backed Moore, as did Trump when it came down to a child molester vs a Democrat. Moore was (almost) a failure of the American voters, not the system.