Watch, Watched, Watching: The Good, Bad and Ugly

Zorral

Watched the finale of Silicon Valley and Barry today.

Silicon Valley finished strong IMO.

Spoiler

Had they allowed Gavin to outsmart Richard again I would have been pissed. Also wouldn't it have been easier for Richard to wait until after Gavin backstabbed him and got the Chinese company to shut off their phones, then Richard could have simply shut down the Hooli boxes since he had admin rights? That would have given Pied Piper 100% and they could launch the patch. Guess they needed an excuse to use the gamer guy again.

That little plot hole aside I continue to enjoy the show.

Barry. Well it just doesn't seem to get any better. For the first 15 min I was like ok this is what I wanted to see...him take charge of his life. Then the preceeded to wipe that out. I would be suprised if this gets another season.

Designated Survivor may be going to Netflix. Have to say that if it does I will watch it again. I stopped watching this season because it seemed stale and a little lost.

I finally got around to watching Hostiles. Overall, I liked it. Beautiful cinematography, great acting, decent storyline, but the ending knocked it down a few points.

Spoiler

The encounter and shootout with the Cliven Bundy family at the end felt lazy and shoehorned. It would have been much better had Joe et al just returned Yellow Wolf and his family to the Valley of the Bears.

43 minutes ago, Astromech said:

I finally got around to watching Hostiles. Overall, I liked it. Beautiful cinematography, great acting, decent storyline, but the ending knocked it down a few points.

Hide contents

The encounter and shootout with the Cliven Bundy family at the end felt lazy and shoehorned. It would have been much better had Joe et al just returned Yellow Wolf and his family to the Valley of the Bears.

Yeah a lot of posts on here agreed with you when that movie came out. That and the very last scene at the train station.

4 hours ago, dbunting said:

Barry. Well it just doesn't seem to get any better. For the first 15 min I was like ok this is what I wanted to see...him take charge of his life. Then the preceeded to wipe that out. I would be suprised if this gets another season.

I’m pretty sure Barry has already been renewed.

51 minutes ago, GallowKnight said:

I’m pretty sure Barry has already been renewed.

They must have planned 2 seasons minimum then because no one I know who has seen the show likes it much.

12 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

I had the same reaction to Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2. I think it's hard to strike twice comedically in general, and super hero movies probably struggle more than the average movie. The unique gag probably only works the first time around. 

It's definitely harder to deal with the higher expectations, but I can't let them off the hook completely. When Deadpool 2 was on, it was every bit as funny as the old one. It just wasn't on as frequently as I would have liked :) 

Spoiler

The credit scenes instantly comes to mind as a good example of Deadpool 2 being capable of bits that were every bit as good, or even superior to the original. They were definitely the funniest credit scenes I have ever seen. I couldn't stop laughing after he killed off X-Mens origins Deadpool and the fact that he then went on to terminate Ryan Reynolds reading the Green Lantern script was just mindboggingly brilliant.  

11 hours ago, Red Tiger said:

Bring it Red, I have more plot armour than your average Marvel Superhero so you know I'll just bounce back from the slaps as if nothing happened :P

3 hours ago, Veltigar said:

It's definitely harder to deal with the higher expectations, but I can't let them off the hook completely. When Deadpool 2 was on, it was every bit as funny as the old one. It just wasn't on as frequently as I would have liked :) 

Reveal hidden contents

The credit scenes instantly comes to mind as a good example of Deadpool 2 being capable of bits that were every bit as good, or even superior to the original. They were definitely the funniest credit scenes I have ever seen. I couldn't stop laughing after he killed off X-Mens origins Deadpool and the fact that he then went on to terminate Ryan Reynolds reading the Green Lantern script was just mindboggingly brilliant.  

Bring it Red, I have more plot armour than your average Marvel Superhero so you know I'll just bounce back from the slaps as if nothing happened :P

Spoiler

That's not saying a whole lot these days.

Now this is really a lot of fun.  Netflix has up streaming a Spanish television time travel series, El Ministerio del Tiempo -- The Ministry of Time.   Among the perimeters is that travel can only go into the past, it's not possible to go to the future, because, as is the Ministry's motto, "Time is what it is."  So while the ministry has also continued into the future since the days the doors were discovered and mapped and the equations to use them were worked out by a combination of 16th C Moorish, Jewish and -- I think, still not sure -- Jesuits, the ministry, like Spain, continues.  So we are in our present, mostly in Madrid, but the employees are from different times -- since they can travel to what the time is in Ministry hq, which is now.  The Ministry's mission is to keep the past from being changed, to preserve the existence of Spain, no matter how good or how bad.

The fun part is the variety of historical figures of Spain's Golden Century (though just how golden it was really, at least in Europe, with the Ottomans beating their's and the Holy Roman Empire's butts all the time, particularly in the Mediterranean -- not to mention the English with the Armada).  This includes even fictional ones.  The swordsman from the 16th century, Alonso de Entrerríos, discovers in the present the novels of Arturo Pérez-Reverte's Captain Alatriste, whom so many of our time think is Alatriste -- I loved that!

The series also sued NBC for ripping it off:

http://tvline.com/2016/09/27/timeless-lawsuit-el-ministerio-del-tiempo/

This series mixes a generally light treatment with more serious matters, without beating the viewer down with the more grave elements.  It's a great way to make Spain's national history real to the viewer too, no matter what age.  It would be good family viewing, I think, without talking down to the audience either.

I sure do wish Netflix USA did more Spanish television series -- Spain does historicals so very well -- the horse riding and sword fighting in particular! I have gotten more than tired of the endless Asian sword and sorcery, whether live action or anime -- there's such a damned glut, and it's all the same.

9 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

My evil Xfinity on demand is finally working tonight. Now I can see the latest episode of Westworld and Black Panther this weekend!

:commie:

Good for you, now if someone can tell me how to use my Directv I'd appreciate it! I turned it on yesterday and it's been updated to a new format, much like this site. Now I can't figure out how to start a recorded show over from the start! I had to rewind Survivor from 50 min mark where my wife left off watching it back to beginning to watch it...damn updates....

Finished the Babylon Berlin episodes last night, I believe there were about 18. Absolutely loved it, very well made Netflix Original series.

I wont wait long to do a rewatch of this, its such a interesting presentation of Germany between the end of WW1 and prior to the rise of Hitler, much different than what I expected it was going to be like. The music in this was great as well. This Lithuanian actress who plays the Countess/Singer was very impressive.

I saw Scarface tonight. It was the first time since I was a kid and it was quite a new experience watching it with adult eyes. For starters, I was really surprised by how incest-heavy it was. Definitely blew over my head while I was younger. I also think that I now appreciate the boldness of the film more than I did before.

Seeing this film back when it came out for the first time must have been truly shocking. I have watched more Scarface knock-offs than I care to count and I still remembered most of the major beats from watching it earlier and yet I was still surprised by the loudness/craziness/etc. of it all. 

Despite the huge influence it has had, I don't think a film like this could get made today. The excess, the violence and the outdated attitudes towards women make that impossible. It's also to mean spirited for modern audiences I think, because Scarface really makes you question whether there are good people left in the world. 

One final observation I like to end on, is the shere uggliness of the thing. I feel sorry for the poor souls who had to endure the eighties. The fashion was just hidious. The movie almost read like a collection of the uggliest suits I have ever seen. And the fashion was okay compared to the interior design. The offices in this film really just made my head hurt. i can't imagine any coke dealer working efficiently in that kind of environment. 

On 5/17/2018 at 3:30 PM, Red Tiger said:
  Hide contents

That's not saying a whole lot these days.

Spoiler

It's not as if any of the flaked heroes are going to remain dead :p 

19 minutes ago, Veltigar said:

I saw Scarface tonight. It was the first time since I was a kid and it was quite a new experience watching it with adult eyes. For starters, I was really surprised by how incest-heavy it was. Definitely blew over my head while I was younger. I also think that I now appreciate the boldness of the film more than I did before.

Seeing this film back when it came out for the first time must have been truly shocking. I have watched more Scarface knock-offs than I care to count and I still remembered most of the major beats from watching it earlier and yet I was still surprised by the loudness/craziness/etc. of it all. 

Despite the huge influence it has had, I don't think a film like this could get made today. The excess, the violence and the outdated attitudes towards women make that impossible. It's also to mean spirited for modern audiences I think, because Scarface really makes you question whether there are good people left in the world. 

One final observation I like to end on, is the shere uggliness of the thing. I feel sorry for the poor souls who had to endure the eighties. The fashion was just hidious. The movie almost read like a collection of the uggliest suits I have ever seen. And the fashion was okay compared to the interior design. The offices in this film really just made my head hurt. i can't imagine any coke dealer working efficiently in that kind of environment. 

Reveal hidden contents

It's not as if any of the flaked heroes are going to remain dead :p 

I remember watching this in the 80's and being blown away. I did pick up on the strange attraction between Tony and his sister, before she calls him out on it. As to the fashion, what you don't like polyester? Finally, could this movie get made now, yes I believe it could. The Wolf of Wallstreet is a damn close movie, minus the violence. The drug use, sex, attitudes toward women, dwarves, hell anyone is pretty shocking!

3 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

Who watches Scarface as a kid? :lol:

Me! And by kid I mean teenager. Let's just say my mom was not too worried about movies messing me up. I remember being like 12 and going to the drive in and seeing Corpsegrinder(?) and some worm movie as a family...double feature! What were they thinking? 

I remember watching R rated movies as a kid, but more comedies than that kind of stuff. It wasn’t so much that I was surprised a kid would be allowed to watch a movie like Scarface, but that a little kid would have any interest in watching it in the first place. :P

8 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

I remember watching R rated movies as a kid, but more comedies than that kind of stuff. It wasn’t so much that I was surprised a kid would be allowed to watch a movie like Scarface, but that a little kid would have any interest in watching it in the first place. :P

I guess it depends on what a "kid" is. I was thinking of myself as 12-13-14 range. What kid that age doesn't want to see a movie with drugs, a then sexy Michelle Pfeifer, machine guns and chain saw! I saw Scarface at home, not in theatre. My older brothers probably had a lot to do with us watching it.

Just now, dbunting said:

I guess it depends on what a "kid" is. I was thinking of myself as 12-13-14 range. What kid that age doesn't want to see a movie with drugs, a then sexy Michelle Pfeifer, machine guns and chain saw! I saw Scarface at home, not in theatre. My older brothers probably had a lot to do with us watching it.

I assumed @Veltigar was talking younger than that if he missed how weird Tony’s relationship with his sister was. 

Archived