NCAA Basketball 2017: Final Four cont.

DireWolfSpirit

12 hours ago, WarGalley said:

Yeah they're making this interesting. Also, did I hear it right? Mississippi State has never won a team based championship in any sport? I feel like I have to root for them after that.

Neither has Ole Miss (not officially, we claim a few in football but meh). 

My home state dead last again!  :crying:  

On 4/1/2018 at 2:39 AM, Rhom said:

Villanova’s hot shooting broke Westeros!

So much for the Dome Effect. :stunned:  Sorry @RedEyedGhost.  Sometimes all you can do is tip your cap to your opponent and move along.  No one was stopping them tonight.

Luckily the board died so you all didn't have to endure my stream of thought as that was happening!  This was how I felt those first 8 minutes.

On 4/1/2018 at 6:29 AM, sperry said:

Their shooting wasn't even outrageous. They just shot a super high volume and were a little better than their season average.

It was outrageous because of the volume.  They made more in the first half against us than they've averaged per game all season.  And they shot at >12% over their season average in the first half.  Nobody could compete with that.  I am upset that it took so long for Self to make adjustments (and I'm surprised he didn't try Lightfoot who is so much more mobile and is great at blocking shots).  They came back to earth in the second half with poor 3 pt shooting, but even then every time we would get on a little run and get it close to a single digit game they would run off a string of two or three more straight 3s.  It was utterly ridiculous.  The more they needed to shoot well, the better they shot.

Speaking of the 3 point shot here's some info from Ken Pomeroy on the NIT and the line being moved back to the FIBA distance:

With 3-point rate and percentage both at modern highs, it makes sense to consider moving the line back to the FIBA standard that is used by the rest of the world. While some squads struggled, most teams in the NIT managed to adjust to the new distance without much trouble, especially considering they had little time to prepare for it. Teams shot 34.3 percent from beyond the arc, which was slightly off the 35.1 percent shot in all other games this season. To provide some context, 34.3 percent is comparable to the accuracy rate from 2009 through 2015, before the recent shooting surge.

The other component to consider is how many 3 pointers were shot. In the NIT, 3-point attempts made up 35.7 percent of all field-goal attempts which as you would expect was down from the 37.5 percent recorded in all other games. That latter figure was a new record. The effect is probably a bit more pronounced than that, though. Since the NCAA took over ownership of the NIT in 2006, teams have taken about 1.7 percent more 3-pointers in NIT games compared to the season average. So moving the line back was kind of a shock to the system of the participating teams. But keep in mind, if the line was moved permanently, players and coaches would have an entire offseason to adjust instead of just a few days.

In my opinion they can't move that back soon enough, and I felt that way before Saturday too.

28 minutes ago, sperry said:

The line should absolutely not be moved back. It's the equalizer that gives less talented teams a shot, and is what makes college basketball great. Moving the line back would be a terrible idea.

Has college basketball been great recently? I loved it while I was in school (2011 grad), but since then I've found the product to be unwatchable at times, and only the stakes of March Madness make me care at this point. 

Anyways, I got Villanova by 10. 

5 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Has college basketball been great recently? I loved it while I was in school (2011 grad), but since then I've found the product to be unwatchable at times, and only the stakes of March Madness make me care at this point. 

Yes, college basketball is great. Especially in that short of a time frame, the product has not changed appreciably.

Just now, WarGalley said:

This is a fun game. Both teams came to play. I'll be very curious about 2nd half adjustments and if both teams can keep the hustle going.

Villanova has played about as poorly as possible, and are up 6 as of this post. That's not good for Michigan. When they start hitting their shots this is going to get ugly.

5 hours ago, RedEyedGhost said:

every time we would get on a little run and get it close to a single digit game they would run off a string of two or three more straight 3s.  It was utterly ridiculous.  The more they needed to shoot well, the better they shot.

Michigan is learning the same lesson tonight.

4 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

College basketball is now and has always been great.  But you have to realize what it is, and what it is not:

Welp, other than the first half of the first half being close that went exactly as expected.

I saw this the other day and I can't get it out of my head, so I'm going to infect all of you as well.  Abe Vigoda might be dead, but Jay Wright is wearing his face.

6 hours ago, sperry said:

The line should absolutely not be moved back. It's the equalizer that gives less talented teams a shot, and is what makes college basketball great. Moving the line back would be a terrible idea.

Keep holding out hope, but it's going to happen.  The earliest changes from this year's NIT test run can be implemented is '19-'20, and I'll be shocked if it doesn't happen then.

8 hours ago, Rhom said:

College basketball is now and has always been great.  But you have to realize what it is, and what it is not:

This is a pretty bizarre, and just terrible argument by the guy. First, it isn't accurate, because there's a pretty glaring omission given the premise that only royalty have a shot: Gonzaga was in the title game last year. Second, fucking Butler is on his list. Third, Villanova was not royalty until Jay Wright elevated them to that status in past 5 years.

7 hours ago, RedEyedGhost said:

Welp, other than the first half of the first half being close that went exactly as expected.

I saw this the other day and I can't get it out of my head, so I'm going to infect all of you as well.  Abe Vigoda might be dead, but Jay Wright is wearing his face.

Keep holding out hope, but it's going to happen.  The earliest changes from this year's NIT test run can be implemented is '19-'20, and I'll be shocked if it doesn't happen then.

I really doubt it happens, because there is no reason for it. All it does is make games lower scoring and make smaller schools less competitive with the big schools. They have the absolute sweet spot right now where power programs usually win the title, but smaller schools still pull plenty of upsets in the tourney. Moving the 3 point line back brings the game closer to the women's game, where the teams with the better athletes win almost every time. That's not a good thing for the sport, or for the bottom line.

Archived