U. S. Politics: A noun, a verb and no collusion.

LongRider

7 hours ago, Mudguard said:

Can you provide a citation to the economic model(s) that you are referring to?  What economic factors do these models look at and how are they weighted?  Are these voting models based purely on economic factors?  Are these models applicable to state level elections or just national level elections? 

I have in the past, multiple times.  Don't mean to be rude, but at this moment I'm tired of it. So, let me get back to you after at least a smoke.  To answer your last question, no, they're not applicable at the state level - not enough data.

ETA:

@Mudguard - below is a post that explains it pretty well.  Thank you forum gods for improving the search function - this only took seconds to find:

53 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

I have been watching the reaction the absolutely fantastic quarterly numbers Amazon released last night have had on commentators and the markets, and all I can see in my mind is an image of a furious Trump, red faced with apoplexy.

Amazon approaching a trillion dollar value? Fake news! That money belongs to the Post Office! Break them up! Increase their taxes! Can we take away their citizenships?

Expect a nasty barrage of anti-Bezos tweets this weekend.

Combined that with the 2.3% growth during the quarter and he could literally be foaming at the mouth. One of the big takeaways from his meltdown on Fox & Friends is that all the reports of him seething, blowing up and being complete volcanic are absolutely true. He was getting madder and madder as he spoke, and when they cut him off* he said he had more to say. He probably could have gone on like that for hours. It’s almost like he forgot he was on TV and was just venting to a friend.

*This was also a huge tell, though we already knew, how Fox is not in any way a news network and is entirely the media arm of the Republican party. It’s been reported that Murdoch personally called and told them to shut the interview down. Any reputable news network, even conservative ones, would have let him continue to bury himself.

13 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Trump’s total net worth is probably between $2b-$4b. However, I’ve read some reports that speculate he has less than $50m cash on hand. His finances are a shell game.

Right. And cash in hand is what you need for payoffs, presumably. 

Besides, Trump is a cheapskate. 

21 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

*This was also a huge tell, though we already knew, how Fox is not in any way a news network and is entirely the media arm of the Republican party. It’s been reported that Murdoch personally called and told them to shut the interview down. Any reputable news network, even conservative ones, would have let him continue to bury himself.

There's no question that Fox was looking out for Trump and not for FoxNews when they ended that interview.  I dont' care if F&F is coming to an end, you let that program go all day if you have to.  Trump was making news.  The ratings would have only gotten better and better. 

22 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Combined that with the 2.3% growth during the quarter and he could literally be foaming at the mouth. One of the big takeaways from his meltdown on Fox & Friends is that all the reports of him seething, blowing up and being complete volcanic are absolutely true. He was getting madder and madder as he spoke, and when they cut him off* he said he had more to say. He probably could have gone on like that for hours. It’s almost like he forgot he was on TV and was just venting to a friend.

Has this ever happened before? A show host having to cut off the POTUS.

The bullshit House investigation findings were released today claiming no collusion between Trump and Russia and that Russia actively wanted Hilary to lose but not for Trump to win. This along with Republicans calling for Trump to get a Peace Prize for ending the Korean war have put him in a good mood today.

So: Republicans on House Intelligence Committee release their (heavily redacted) report concluding there was no collusion between the Trump campaign and the Russian government. No surprise there.

Now, on the exact same day, the Russian lawyer (Veselnitskaya) who met with the Trump team in the infamous June 2016 meeting at Trump Tower, admits she is an informant for the Russian government.

You can't make this shit up.

38 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

There's no question that Fox was looking out for Trump and not for FoxNews when they ended that interview.  I dont' care if F&F is coming to an end, you let that program go all day if you have to.  Trump was making news.  The ratings would have only gotten better and better. 

Right?  It would have been gold if they kept him rambling longer.  The producers must have realized his stream of consciousness admissions had already made national news elsewhere before the call ended.  Pretty much every other outlet in existence would demand:  More!  Milk it!  But not FNC.

41 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

It had the potential to be a lot more than higher ratings. That interview had the potential to be the thing people read about 50 years from now in history books. I’m amazed he didn’t start swearing given how worked up he was.

49 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

Has this ever happened before? A show host having to cut off the POTUS.

I can’t say for sure, but I would guess the answer is no. I am pretty sure though that if it has happened it wasn’t done to help the president.

4 minutes ago, dmc515 said:

The answer is definitely no.

Aw, don’t you think some friendly interviewer might have cut it short with Grant after his 18th shot of whiskey?  

Also, to your comment about some producer cutting it short, it’s been reported the Murdoch himself caught wind of it and ended it.

12 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Aw, don’t you think some friendly interviewer might have cut it short with Grant after his 18th shot of whiskey?  

You could make that same joke using many, many more presidents.  It's kinda funny Grant gets that reputation rather than being known for, ya know, widespread and obscene corruption.

14 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

it’s been reported the Murdoch himself caught wind of it and ended it.

Australian collusion!

25 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Also, to your comment about some producer cutting it short, it’s been reported the Murdoch himself caught wind of it and ended it.

Tywin, "it's been reported" makes you comment about Murdoch sound like "fake news" unless you tell us WHERE it has been reported. That sounds to me like the Internet trying to make a good story even better unless there is really evidence that's more than just a rumor.

2 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

The point is those deals were shocking low, given the circumstances. If Trump was just some business guy, sure, I get it. But do you have any idea what some people would offer for those stories in October of 2016?

Trump’s total net worth is probably between $2b-$4b. However, I’ve read some reports that speculate he has less than $50m cash on hand. His finances are a shell game.

It is true that it was a low amount for Stormy Daniels and others to accept. On the Cohen side there is a strong incentive to keep the payments low, however. The money could not come from Trump and apparently he took the money out of his own house.

56 minutes ago, dmc515 said:

Right?  It would have been gold if they kept him rambling longer.  The producers must have realized his stream of consciousness admissions had already made national news elsewhere before the call ended.  Pretty much every other outlet in existence would demand:  More!  Milk it!  But not FNC.

I was watching the team on CNN live reporting the conversation, switching back and forth from comments to running pieces of the conversation as it went on. And they couldn’t help themselves (who could?) from talking about the looks on the faces of the three Fox hosts.

He is going to get played Bigly.

“We're not going to be played, OK? We’re going to hopefully make a deal, if not that’s fine,” Trump said during a meeting with German Chancellor Angela Merkel at the White House.

http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/385205-trump-i-wont-get-played-by-north-korea

Has played been so used in such an official capacity before?

5 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

I was watching the team on CNN live reporting the conversation, switching back and forth from comments to running pieces of the conversation as it went on. And they couldn’t help themselves (who could?) from talking about the looks on the faces of the three Fox hosts.

Heh, sounds funny.  Still, watching Morning Joe with Avenatti reacting to the clips in real time was tons of fun.

6 minutes ago, TheKitttenGuard said:

He is going to get played Bigly.

http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/385205-trump-i-wont-get-played-by-north-korea

Has played been so used in such an official capacity before?

He's already been played by agreeing to the meeting without extracting any type of concession.  And not that I can remember, but I don't mind it entering the lexicon.

30 minutes ago, dmc515 said:

You could make that same joke using many, many more presidents.  It's kinda funny Grant gets that reputation rather than being known for, ya know, widespread and obscene corruption.

Australian collusion!

I was always of the understanding that he personally wasn’t corrupt, but everyone around him was. Is that not the case? Regardless, people do associate his Administration with corruption. Well, at least the people who pay attention to these things.

17 minutes ago, Ormond said:

Tywin, "it's been reported" makes you comment about Murdoch sound like "fake news" unless you tell us WHERE it has been reported. That sounds to me like the Internet trying to make a good story even better unless there is really evidence that's more than just a rumor.

I heard it on one of MSNBC’s daytime shows. I tried a few different Google searches to find it, but everything was about how they talk on the phone a lot.

2 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I was always of the understanding that he personally wasn’t corrupt, but everyone around him was. Is that not the case?

That's like Reagan's Iran-Contra defense.  "I wasn't corrupt, I was incompetent!"

2 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Regardless, people do associate his Administration with corruption. Well, at least the people who pay attention to these things.

That's true.  But if the average person was asked to describe Grant as president, I think they'd say "drunk" first.  Corruption would be second though.

4 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I tried a few different Google searches to find it, but everything was about how they talk on the phone a lot.

Yeah I tried to find something about it as well and couldn't.  Ormond's right - FAKE NEWS! :P

Archived