NBA playoffs 2018 - Raptors over Cavs in 6

Red Tiger

51 minutes ago, IamMe90 said:

Man, I don't know if there is any talented player less enjoyable to watch in the NBA than James Harden. His foul drawing is so fucking irritating. Just saw a stat that he's got 1,200 more FT attempts in the last 6 seasons (at ~4,700) than the next most FT attempts per player. Gross

Hunting for fouls...it's what he does

I am really disappointed in this second round.  The first round had some nice drama and a couple game 7s, but this round?  Four snoozers.  Toronto is the biggest disappointment, although Philly isn't far behind.  The entire Eastern conference is utterly devoid of drama, since it's hard to imagine this Celtics team really challenging Cleveland. 

The only good news is that we are going to get Houston vs GSW, and (barring disaster in their respective closeout games) both teams are relatively healthy.  That should be fun.  And really, that's the real finals, isn't it?  Last year the Cavaliers were overmatched by GSW and this year they're noticeably less talented.  Whether it's Houston or Golden State, I doubt the Finals goes more than 5 games. 

It’s all playing out perfectly for LeBron to Philly. He can credibly say that his team is just not talented enough anymore and argue that he’s not joining a truly loaded squad. If GS blows out Houston, he’ll have a built in excuses for why he’s not doing what Durant did if he goes there too.

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

It’s all playing out perfectly for LeBron to Philly. He can credibly say that his team is just not talented enough anymore and argue that he’s not joining a truly loaded squad. If GS blows out Houston, he’ll have a built in excuses for why he’s not doing what Durant did if he goes there too.

Sig-bet that he doesn't. You in?

Covington is out of the starting lineup for the Sixers, it's about damn time.  

I really liked this Indiana team, and was elated when the Sixers separated themselves from 4/5 seed and avoided a 1st round matchup with them.  Good group of guys that hustle and play consistent D.  Plus, I always root for my boy Thad.  That dude was on some shitty Sixers teams and he never once complained or gave minimal effort.  He  deserves a ring.

Oladipo proved he was one of the better two-way guards in the league.  And this year he proved he's a superstar.  I hope they come back stronger next year.  

Also, CAVS in 4 over the Raptors.

Atleast one prediction could help pay for my vacation in June.

Has a coach ever won Coach of the Year and been fired in the same season? In any sport?

Anyways, Toronto needs to blow it up. They have peaked and there are multiple teams in the East that are ascending.  

9 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Has a coach ever won Coach of the Year and been fired in the same season? In any sport?

I don't know.  Marty Schottenheimer was fired after a 14-2 season, but apparently he didn't win Coach of the Year that year.   

3 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Anyways, Toronto needs to blow it up. They have peaked and there are multiple teams in the East that are ascending.  

I don't know about blow it up.   Get rid of DeRozan absolutely but hes the only thing besides young guys that will get anything in return.  Lowry will be tough to move and Ibaka impossible.  JV is really good at what he does but the league seems to be going away from his type so not sure how much one could get for him (although by plus minus wise he was by far the Raps best player postseason).  The rest are young guys and really that includes JV hes only 25 I think.  They aren't going to be able to completely gut it yet and so they won't be bad enough to really tank.

As for Casey....there was a good piece on the Ringer last week about how and why Casey is a good regular season coach (also good for a young team) but terrible in the playoffs.  It essentially boils down to he lets players know what they are doing and prepare accordingly but if things go off script he's terrible.  I hope to god hes gone and we give Nurse(the coach behind the Raps offensive change this year) or Stackhouse a chance.

3 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Didn't Mike Brown get fired from the Cavs the first time after winning it?  Although it might have been the year after he won it.  

26 minutes ago, Red Tiger said:

No.

It was the year after he won it.  Just looked it up.  He won it in 2009 and was fired in 2010.

To be fair, though, Mike Brown should have been fired in 2009 after he got hilariously outcoached by Ron Jeremy. 

1 hour ago, briantw said:

It was the year after he won it.  Just looked it up.  He won it in 2009 and was fired in 2010.

To be fair, though, Mike Brown should have been fired in 2009 after he got hilariously outcoached by Ron Jeremy. 

I agree with that, just pointing out he wasn't fired in the same season.

20 hours ago, Triskele said:

Love being out West for watching sports overall, but every once in a while you get screwed on playoff games where the game is nigh-finished before you get off work.  MLB playoffs are the worst in this respect, but today was the (relatively) rare NBA game.  I seriously doubt that Stevens blows four straight to Philly, but combine Philly's talent with the sense that this Boston team has played out of their minds for parts of this series...

I remain amazed that the 4-0 comeback is so elusive.  I would think it should indeed be rare, but not this rare.  

While I don't expect it to happen, this is actually a good example of when a team could make the 4 game run needed to pull it off. Philly is better than what they've shown and I still don't trust Boston at all. It all comes down to Simmons. If he can assert himself they can do it, but if he keeps shrinking the series will be over tomorrow.

7 hours ago, Maithanet said:

I don't know.  Marty Schottenheimer was fired after a 14-2 season, but apparently he didn't win Coach of the Year that year.   

Just goes to show that the Chargers run from like 04 through 09 was one of the most disappointing we've ever seen.

5 hours ago, WarGalley said:

George Karl in Denver in 2013.

Wow, that recently huh. I would have thought I'd remember that.

Archived