Football: Jules Rimet Still Gleaming

Jordan La Cabra

@Signur X, @Prince Onyinye W. Ndidi,

From the Loser Lounge thread…

Funnily enough I was bored last night and read a half dozen or so articles about how to pick an EPL team. My biggest takeaway was that you should pick one of the big six teams not named Man U. I took a test someone posted here a year or so ago and it said I should be a Chelsea fan, but that felt like some major bandwagoning considering they had just won the league.

Also, two guys on Newcastle fought each other on the pitch and got double reds. That’s pretty amazing.

8 minutes ago, chiKanery et al. said:

Also, two guys on Newcastle fought each other on the pitch and got double reds. That’s pretty amazing.

Ah, Kieran Dyer and Lee Bowyer, not sure about the latter though. But definately a classic. The Newcasle fans love to talk about it as much, as Liverpool fans about the one time a piece of their fan choreo (a beachball) prevented a goal.

9 minutes ago, chiKanery et al. said:

I took a test someone posted here a year or so ago and it said I should be a Chelsea fan, but that felt like some major bandwagoning considering they had just won the league.

Isn't Chelsea like in that scummy right wing club with their fan scene linked to Rangers, that just hit the financial jackpot when some dubious Russian oligarch bought them for the fun of it, and just stacked them up with his cash?

15 minutes ago, chiKanery et al. said:

It's a good story but I prefer the day Dean Windass got three red cards in one match playing for Aberdeen.

57 minutes ago, chiKanery et al. said:

My biggest takeaway was that you should pick one of the big six teams not named Man U.

The best way to pick a team to support as a newcomer, barring any connections that link you to anyone, is just to watch football until you feel like a team is 'yours'. I'm speaking somewhat hypocricitally as a plastic United fan (ps: don't use the abbreviation Man U, it's got offensive connotations as it's used as an allusion to Munich by rival fans when they're being dickheads), but if you just pick a top six side from the off it's still gonna feel rather like cheating by taking the least risk option on purpose.

It's different if you end up actually liking one of theirs' players and manager and all that.

Also, if we're just listing the best things to ever happen in football then you have to drop down the leagues and look to Chris Brass's own goal:

2 hours ago, chiKanery et al. said:

@Signur X, @Prince Onyinye W. Ndidi,

From the Loser Lounge thread…

Funnily enough I was bored last night and read a half dozen or so articles about how to pick an EPL team. My biggest takeaway was that you should pick one of the big six teams not named Man U. I took a test someone posted here a year or so ago and it said I should be a Chelsea fan, but that felt like some major bandwagoning considering they had just won the league.

Yeah, I think the best way is what @Fellaining Da Bruyne suggests: just watch games and you're bound to form an attachment to a certain club. This is what happened with me way back when I started supporting United (back in the days when big Ron was the manager). United were not the force back then as we were since the premier league began - hadn't won the league in a very long time and although we had several top 4 finishes, those were mixed in with a few below 10th place finishes. We were a pretty decent cup side though. Just enjoyed watching the likes of Frank Stapleton, Norman Whiteside, Mark Hughes, Bryan Robson and of course we had a South African goalkeeper in Gary Bailey. 

55 minutes ago, Notone said:

Or go by the fan scenes you like.

Or if you are ever going to visit a city to watch your team, where is the best place to go on the piss after, Newcastle is by far the best option in this scenario. 

1 hour ago, Fellaining Da Bruyne said:

The best way to pick a team to support as a newcomer, barring any connections that link you to anyone, is just to watch football until you feel like a team is 'yours'. I'm speaking somewhat hypocricitally as a plastic United fan (ps: don't use the abbreviation Man U, it's got offensive connotations as it's used as an allusion to Munich by rival fans when they're being dickheads), but if you just pick a top six side from the off it's still gonna feel rather like cheating by taking the least risk option on purpose.

I have never heard of that before.  I'm probably too removed from any density of PL fans so I've missed the emergence of new taboos.  I only heard in the last couple of years Liverpool fans complaining about Utd fans calling them dippers and murderers, which has apparently been going on for years.  What fucking idiocy transpires in a meaningless tribalism.

I occasionally use "ManU" when I'm also typing "ManC" in some list comparing and contrasting the big clubs.  I mostly use Utd as shorthand, but that can raise objections from Newcastle and Leeds fans too.  I'm not typing their full club name every time I want to mock them.  They're just lucky I moved on from "scum".

1 minute ago, Iskaral Putsch said:

have never heard of that before.  I'm probably too removed from any density of PL fans so I've missed the emergence of new taboos. 

It's not new- if anything you haven't come across it because it comes up rarely nowadays, but it was apparently a thing in the immediate aftermath of Munich.

3 minutes ago, Iskaral Putsch said:

I only heard in the last couple of years Liverpool fans complaining about Utd fans calling them dippers and murderers, which has apparently been going on for years.  What fucking idiocy transpires in a meaningless tribalism.

Dippers and murderers aren't really on the same level. The latter is an obvious reference to Heysel and as such is not okay- dippers is just a part of the regular childish inter-city rivalry. Like you using scum.

24 minutes ago, Fellaining Da Bruyne said:

Dippers and murderers aren't really on the same level. The latter is an obvious reference to Heysel and as such is not okay- dippers is just a part of the regular childish inter-city rivalry. Like you using scum.

Dipper can be either a reference to bin-dipping -- an allusion to poverty in Liverpool -- or less often (I hope) a reference to the supposed pick-pocketing/looting of corpses at Hillsborough.  That was one the infamous accusations by The Sun and apparently gets included in some chants at Old Trafford.

4 hours ago, chiKanery et al. said:

I took a test someone posted here a year or so ago and it said I should be a Chelsea fan, but that felt like some major bandwagoning considering they had just won the league.

Considering Man City just won the league and Chelsea missed out on Champions League spot, you better find some sources that are more up to date. ;) 

Even though it's big in Sweden, the EPL does nothing for me. Roma is where it's at. If you're considering spending a sizeable amount of your life following a football club, you really should have a look at Serie A and La Liga before "deciding" (it's supposed to just happen you know, like love). Italy has been through a rough patch lately but it's slowly improving, so what you really should do is head over to www.chiesaditotti.com and get acquainted with its most loveable team ;)

5 hours ago, chiKanery et al. said:

If your revealed preference is that you're a plastic bandwagon kind of fan, however much you want to deny it, then there's a position open around here for a Man City fan.  I don't think we've had a die-hard citizen since Alex decamped.

I really appreciate the advise (and the cheekiness)! It was quite helpful.

2 hours ago, baxusalah said:

Considering Man City just won the league and Chelsea missed out on Champions League spot, you better find some sources that are more up to date. ;) 

I said I took it a year ago. Chelsea won the title in the season before last.

Also, keep the funny clips coming. As a token of good faith, since more of you don't post in the (America) football thread, I give you one of the greatest sports blunders of all time. Feast your eyes on the legendary "Butt Fumble":

That one play basically ended his career. You can see his soul dying as the Pats player picks up the ball. 

I started following the epl around 2004/5 and being an Aussie was a bit of a Harry Kewell fan so started following Liverpool. Also started playing Football Manager around then and started following the teams I played as on the game. Bayern in Germany, AC Milan in Italy and Barca in La Liga. The continental teams are all pretty obvious big teams but I didnt really know better at the time.

On 7/11/2018 at 12:40 PM, Prince Onyinye W. Ndidi said:

Di Marzio reporting that West Ham are close to signing Felipe Anderson from Lazio. Fee has been agreed (€40m including add-ons). West Ham in the process of obtaining a work permit for him. 

Signing Felipe Anderson, Yarmolenko, Jack Wilshire, Fabianski and a new young French CB (Diop), fending off approaches for Arnautovic, releasing Evra & Collins (& others?), replacing Moyes with Pellegrini ... are West Ham becoming a well run club?

They’ll miss Lanzini with his long term injury but they seem to be heading in a better direction than a year ago. 

Along similar lines, Everton have upgraded their manager and ditched Rooney and Funes Mori, but they have a lot of work still to do in recruitment. 

12 hours ago, Iskaral Putsch said:

If your revealed preference is that you're a plastic bandwagon kind of fan, however much you want to deny it, then there's a position open around here for a Man City fan.  I don't think we've had a die-hard citizen since Alex decamped.

Never thought I'd say I miss a City fan, but I do miss Alex.

11 hours ago, chiKanery et al. said:

I said I took it a year ago. Chelsea won the title in the season before last.

I stand corrected. Thought you somehow dug out that test from a year ago and took it now. :cheers:

Archived