The Expanse #4: Amazon Rising (spoilers for book only up to last episode)

Corvinus85

10 hours ago, briantw said:

Full book dialogue presumably means she's allowed to say fuck whenever she wants now that the show is on Amazon.  Her character is quite fond of the word in the books.

Yup - that's all I meant by it. Not any particular set of dialogue. 

From memory (show spoilers only)

Spoiler

We didn't get the distinction between the Investigator and Miller in the book did we? Or did I just forget? If not I really liked that addition for the show, it made the end mesh together better and made the goodbye have more of an emotional punch.

1 hour ago, karaddin said:

Yup - that's all I meant by it. Not any particular set of dialogue. 

From memory (show spoilers only)

Hide contents

We didn't get the distinction between the Investigator and Miller in the book did we? Or did I just forget? If not I really liked that addition for the show, it made the end mesh together better and made the goodbye have more of an emotional punch.

From my own memory of books 3 and 4.

Spoiler

Book proto-Miller was more Miller. But that's because the investigator part was given to us by the narrator, like the "It reaches out" part.

I don't normally do this, but I went back to watch Marco's scenes in isolation. Damn, did they nail the casting. He's a character that I loved on the page, but was ever the opportunist. It was the strategist who caught my eye and I can't wait to see realized, so I didn't really have much expectation for Marco going into this season. Especially since we didn't know for sure he'd be appearing (or at least I didn't).

But man, they nailed it! He's so great. I'm sitting here wondering what in the good goddamn is wrong with Naomi Nagata.

One teensie weensie act of terror and she's leaving this man's bed? I'd be blowing up space stations after one deep dive into those dark pools of fury you lesser humans mistake for eyes.

The acting in the airlock scene was excellent, too. Ashford had just the right amount of trepidation during his realization of the danger Marco still posed even helpless in zero gee about to be spaced.

Awesome season. Although I definitely agree with folks that a lot of Aversorola's stuff seemed kinda weak at times, particularly vis a vis Arjun.

I have high hopes for a bounce back season next year for her having a better plot line, though ;).

A few other quick thoughts-

I think this book/season marks an important point for the series. It establishes the ability to put us on alien planets and treat alien shit as straight up normal. Cibola Burn for me is where we go from a tone of Chris Nolan with space goo towards some straight up Star Trek shit, and although it's admittedly a weak entry in the novel series I think it's a crucial part of the story and accomplishes its most important task. Make all this precursor shit seem less important than the characters fucking around with it. That's why the story is stripped down to a space western, so that from here we can start having some really sci-fi as fuck settings and it won't feel like a completely different show from season 1 even though it totally is.

It's a transition point, and as usual I think the show pulled it off better than the books.

The guy who plays Holden, in particular, is awesome for me. He's kind of a flat character, like a Ned Stark lite who refuses to die or a Rand al Thor who doesn't go schizo-titso, but I think the actor brings a lot of frantic energy to the role and his line when he confronts Murtry

Holden's line after he wins the draw. "You are finished. I'm going to drag you back to stand trial, and then drop you in a cell forever. We call that civilization."

Made me want to fucking cheer. I did cheer.

Great season. All hail daddy Bezos. Can we just make him king?

@Jace, Basilissa your thirst for Marco isn't a universal thing! But I can see where it comes from.

Spoiler

I also thought it was a nice, very subtle, call back to Miller shooting the dude on Thoth - there is a real danger in what some people will say and it doesn't necessarily come from them being dishonest. Marco was right in that scene. His conclusions are too extreme, but he was right and that's why he's so dangerous.

4 hours ago, Corvinus said:

Yes, but barely mentioned, like most other religions. I believe the delegation of religious reps that Anna Volodov was part of included an imam.

I dont think the religions are barely mentioned. Anna's faith is a pretty big part of her character and her community, and the mormon presence is kind of a big deal too. It's one of the better things in the series to me - religion has adapted some, but it's still around and people still believe and it still matters. It doesnt just go away. Very few sci fi or fantasy books deal with that. 

23 hours ago, Spockydog said:

Most definitely. Both are exec producers and part of the writing team.

Thanks! Have to confess that as much as i love the score and opening credits i usually skip them because i’m too impatient to see what happens next...

16 hours ago, karaddin said:

@Jace, Basilissa your thirst for Marco isn't a universal thing! But I can see where it comes from.

Reveal hidden contents

I also thought it was a nice, very subtle, call back to Miller shooting the dude on Thoth - there is a real danger in what some people will say and it doesn't necessarily come from them being dishonest. Marco was right in that scene. His conclusions are too extreme, but he was right and that's why he's so dangerous.

For sure. His power comes from the ability to boil down complex situations and then force his vision of them onto other people with his strength of personality. He's all id. But not in the primitive, infantile way Trump is. Marco is a sophisticated and intelligent man, he identifies what the people around him need and he wraps up the things they're afraid of or want in himself until they seem inextricable.

Marco's ability to just believe hard enough in his own vision is what makes him dangerous. Especially when he's always dictating from a minority position.

Abusive boyfriend meets Joseph Stalin. What's not to fall head over heels for!?!

I'm holding out for a glimpse of my dear, dear, Winston before I tie any knots though. It's tough, I have to admit.

Nemesis Games minor spoiler:

Fillip clearly needs a feminine presence in his life, and I think I could be just the person to get him trained up on those PDC's.

When I was reading Nemesis Games (not really a spoiler but tagging anyway)

Spoiler

I did find one aspect of Marco very reminiscent of Trump's path through the primary and that was just ability to spin every set back and every loss into somehow being a victory that was always part of his plan. 

You're right on the differences as well though, he's actually smart, charming and charismatic

18 minutes ago, karaddin said:

Hide contents

I did find one aspect of Marco very reminiscent of Trump's path through the primary and that was just ability to spin every set back and every loss into somehow being a victory that was always part of his plan. 

You're right on the differences as well though, he's actually smart, charming and charismatic

Tags for actual Nemesis Spoiler.

The stunt he pulls on Ceres (I think it's Ceres) where they strip the station is wonderful storytelling. He's giving these long rambling speeches about the resilience of the Belt and fucking Afghans while Anderson Dawes and others are held completely at the mercy of this dude they don't like and don't buy into.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/30/2019 at 8:38 PM, karaddin said:

Hide contents

I’ve never understood how anyone can find Trump charismatic.  I’ve disliked the man from pretty much the moment I first saw him on TV in the 1980s.

Marco has no appeal for me.  I tend to dislike people who believe that hard.  Faith is fine but people who put so much stock in their faith that they get angry about reasonable questions frighten me.  

Archived