U. S Politics: I know why the caged babe screams.

LongRider

3 hours ago, OldGimletEye said:

Remember way back when, Puke Gingrich suggested that poor (and mainly brown) kids should get jobs so they learn the value of hard work.

Let's forget about the dog whistle politics of Gingrich's comment for a moment.

Now here is a hard working ambitious young man.

And what does he get for his trouble? He gets the cops called on him.

https://www.vox.com/identities/2018/7/2/17527382/reggie-fields-racial-profiling-911-police

That's not the end of this story though,

Also on Friday while Reggie and friends were cutting Holt-Colden's grass again, Reggie got a visit from a professional landscaping team, The Grass Guys of Twinsburg, Ohio, to learn more about lawn care, said his mom, Brandy Marie Fields. They outfitted him with a new blower to make cleanup quicker and showed him how to use a push mower that was another donation to Reggie's summer business.

A GoFundMe page that Holt-Colden created Sunday, titled Reggie Boyz Lawn Service, already has raised $40,000 more than its $1,000 goal.

"Please don't let small-minded, petty people ruin your spirit," Robyn Anderson of Ames, Iowa, wrote Monday on the GoFundMe page. "You are a good kid with a good work ethic and a bright future. You can help change the world for the better."

The Grass Guys, just happen to be white men, a nice counter-point to the dolt who called the cops.  

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2018/07/02/grass-cutting-police-called-maple-heights-ohio/750760002/

3 hours ago, SweetPea said:

What is wrong with that suggestion?

Alright, some idiot called the cops, the cops realized the kid did nothing wrong and they left. This is basically a non-story.  I don't see your point.

The point is that when you have a hard working kid some genius, because they didn't like the kids skin tone, called the police (a dangerous act in our modern era) rather than going and talking to the child.  That is Trump's America.

55 minutes ago, Maithanet der Mannschaft said:

That's funny, I know her IRL.  This is very much in character for her.

Sometimes it’s a small world, right? When I was studying in Buenos Aires, on the second day my friend ran into a girl he went to high school with in the morning and then I ran into a girl I went to high school with in the afternoon.

2 hours ago, La Albearceleste said:

When things happen that we know should make us uncomfortable, we can face up to them. Or we can pretend that we don't understand what's wrong with those things. You've picked one option. Don't expect us to play along. 

The only thing uncomfortable in this situation was that there's an idiot person who called the police instead of talking to the kid. That's it. That is hardly a newsworthy story. 

2 hours ago, Relic said:

Why don't all these out of work coal miners get jobs, why don't the rust belt Trump voters suffering from economic woes get better jobs, why dont we ALL get better jobs? What is wrong with the suggestion is that it's an intentionally intellectually dishonest strawman.

I don't think you know what a strawman is. Besides, I'm only talking about this single statement. What is wrong with saying that poor kids should get jobs and learn the value of hard work? Which part do you disagree with?

14 minutes ago, Scott de Montevideo! said:

The point is that when you have a hard working kid some genius, because they didn't like the kids skin tone, called the police (a dangerous act in our modern era) rather than going and talking to the child.  That is Trump's America.

Evidence that the person called the police because the kid was black? The linked article says nothing like that. In fact, it states that the kid was mowing the neighbor's lawn, that's why they called the police. I would appreciate if you provided some evidence that it was racially motivated. Until then, I'm going to treat it as a baseless assumption.

42 minutes ago, Scott de Montevideo! said:

The point is that when you have a hard working kid some genius, because they didn't like the kids skin tone, called the police (a dangerous act in our modern era) rather than going an talking to the child.  That is Trump's America.

thats some weak sauce there Scot. "Trumps America" for calling the cops for mowing his lawn?

Grumpy old men have been grumpy old men for generations. 

13 minutes ago, Frog Eater said:

thats some weak sauce there Scot. "Trumps America" for calling the cops for mowing his lawn?

Grumpy old men have been grumpy old men for generations. 

That's a stupid thing to say when so many unarmed black kids have been shot dead by police. Calling police on a black kid for a dumb reason is very dangerous, for the black kid, in your country.

3 minutes ago, Casablanca Birdie said:

That's a stupid thing to say when so many unarmed black kids have been shot dead by police. Calling police on a black kid for a dumb reason is very dangerous, for the black kid, in your country.

yeah, 30 seconds on Google puts to rest your false argument

https://www.statista.com/statistics/585152/people-shot-to-death-by-us-police-by-race/

https://www.nationalreview.com/2017/07/police-shootings-black-men-race-not-reason-causal-effect/

The neighbor calling the cops on the kid is a dick move. But was the first run in they had? Had the old man previously told this kid to stay off his lawn? Was the kid stepping all over this man's garden or some other thing not discussed in an obvious race baiting article? Had this neighbor previously called the cops on people stepping all over his fresh seeded or sodded lawn he had just spent thousands of dollars on and this kid was ruining? race baiting click bait articles are exactly that. 

9 minutes ago, Frog Eater said:

yeah, 30 seconds on Google puts to rest your false argument

https://www.statista.com/statistics/585152/people-shot-to-death-by-us-police-by-race/

https://www.nationalreview.com/2017/07/police-shootings-black-men-race-not-reason-causal-effect/

The neighbor calling the cops on the kid is a dick move. But was the first run in they had? Had the old man previously told this kid to stay off his lawn? Was the kid stepping all over this man's garden or some other thing not discussed in an obvious race baiting article? Had this neighbor previously called the cops on people stepping all over his fresh seeded or sodded lawn he had just spent thousands of dollars on and this kid was ruining? race baiting click bait articles are exactly that. 

Wow, talk about a statistics fail. You'd have  a valid argument if there were twice as many white people as there are black people in the U.S. The thing is, based on the last census, white people make up more than 70% of the population while black people make up less than 13%. That’s a clear indication that black people are shot a disproportional rate by the police, considering there are more than five white people for every black person in the U.S. This isn’t hard unless your goal is to intentionally not understand basic math.

And honestly, do you think that guy calls the cops on a white kid? Because I think there is less than a 1% chance that happens.

Again, these guys have made their choice. 

Look at it this way: if they genuinely don't understand what the problem is with calling the police on this kid, it is for one of three reasons. Either they don't have enough information about what happened; or they aren't capable of understanding it, for whatever reason; or they don't want to understand it, because understanding it would make them uncomfortable, as they would have to admit to things they are strongly invested in denying. 

Of those three, the only one we can do anything to influence is the first. But we all know that isn't the reason. They have the information. It's been provided, they read it, and it hasn't changed their minds. I'm pretty certain that the reason is in fact the last of those three, but either way, it isn't something you can change by arguing. 

55 minutes ago, chiKanery et al. said:

Wow, talk about a statistics fail. You'd have  a valid argument if there were twice as many white people as there are black people in the U.S. The thing is, based on the last census, white people make up more than 70% of the population while black people make up less than 13%. That’s a clear indication that black people are shot a disproportional rate by the police, considering there are more than five white people for every black person in the U.S. This isn’t hard unless your goal is to intentionally not understand basic math.

You'd have a point, but you don't take it into consideration that while blacks make up a smaller portion of the population, they are more likely to commit crimes. If you took that into consideration, you'd realize that the number of arrests and killings of black and white people by police are pretty much what you would expect from the population and crime statistics. The racism component is negligible.

45 minutes ago, La Albearceleste said:

Again, these guys have made their choice. 

Look at it this way: if they genuinely don't understand what the problem is with calling the police on this kid, it is for one of three reasons. Either they don't have enough information about what happened; or they aren't capable of understanding it, for whatever reason; or they don't want to understand it, because understanding it would make them uncomfortable, as they would have to admit to things they are strongly invested in denying. 

Of those three, the only one we can do anything to influence is the first. But we all know that isn't the reason. They have the information. It's been provided, they read it, and it hasn't changed their minds. I'm pretty certain that the reason is in fact the last of those three, but either way, it isn't something you can change by arguing. 

What a joke of a response. We have the information? We know next to nothing about the case, as Frog Eater has pointed out. The fact that you jump to conclusions without knowing the details of what happened, is a clear indication that it's YOU who's made up their minds. Shameful projecting at is finest.

2 minutes ago, SweetPea said:

You'd have a point, but you don't take it into consideration that while blacks make up a smaller portion of the population, they are more likely to commit crimes. If you took that into consideration, you'd realize that the number of arrests and killings of black and white people by police are pretty much what you would expect from the population and crime statistics. The racial component is negligible.

What a joke of a response. We have the information? We know next to nothing about the case, as Frog Eater has pointed out. The fact that you jump to conclusions without knowing the details of what happened, is a clear indication that it's YOU who's made up their minds. Shameful projecting at is finest.

Holy shit.

Come on people. Y'all know what Frog Eater and Sweet Pea are. No need to bring up basic statistics or current events. They'll never admit to seeing what's in front of their noses, and they'll try to gaslight you into believing that black people are to blame for racism.

7 minutes ago, SweetPea said:

Such a failure of logic can surely be easily explained. Go ahead.

Minorities are targeted more by police.  Any drug war statistic shows this to be true, plus there's just... you know... common sense as to why that's true.

13 minutes ago, SweetPea said:

Such a failure of logic can surely be easily explained. Go ahead.

SweetPea,

This is a speech by the Junior US Senator from South Carolina (a Republican), Tim Scott about his experiences of being targeted by police because he happens to be black.  I'm curious to get your take on what he said:

https://www.politico.com/story/2016/07/tim-scott-capitol-racism-senate-225507

10 minutes ago, aceluby said:

Minorities are targeted more by police.  Any drug war statistic shows this to be true, plus there's just... you know... common sense as to why that's true.

But the minorities also commit more crimes (well, certain minorities). That means they are going to be targeted more. If there was a discrepancy between the two statistics, I would agree with you. But the statistics show that the minorities are only targeted about as much more as we should  expect it from their higher crime rates. If you have data that disproves it, I would like to see it.

8 minutes ago, Scott de Montevideo! said:

SweetPea,

This is a speech by the Junior US Senator from South Carolina (a Republican), Tim Scott about his experiences of being targeted by police because he happens to be black.  I'm curious to get your take on what he said:

https://www.politico.com/story/2016/07/tim-scott-capitol-racism-senate-225507

I will check it out when I get home.

Archived