Watch, Watched, Watching: Movies That Could Never Be Made Today Version

Mr. Chatywin et al.

Sometime in the past, somewhere on this board, whether in Literature or Entertainment, we talked about Las aventuras del capitán Alatriste, the series of novels by Arturo Pérez-Reverte, featuring this great Spanish swordsman, soldier and adventurer of the 17th century.  A film was made, with Viggo Mortensen as capitán Alatriste, but, we lamented, it was never released in the US. 

However! Now! available, streaming on amazon prime, subtitled in English, the description says, is the 2016 Spanish television Alatriste series!  I haven't watched yet, having for a change a cornucopia of watching riches.  But surely this is going to be splendid because, let's face it, nobody does medieval and renaissance era sword fights like the Spanish.  They even do brilliant battle sequences with swords from horseback.  They never forgot how to do it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/video/detail/B07HDVLSP5/ref=atv_tv_hom_1_c_TXXlI6_brws_3_11

On 11/22/2018 at 2:41 AM, Triskele said:

Krull, whoa.

Great insight in that film:  the creature that knows the nature of its own demise.

Of course today with faith joke and the knowledge that we're just hyper-developed microbes on a spinning orb with no purpose, this describes all of us.  

But it is nice for nostalgia's sake to recall when we watched Krull and it was only the cursed character that knew this.  

I honestly loved Krull - it was great. 

I also watched This is Spinal Tap for the first time which was awesome 

Saw Creed II last night. It doesn’t hit the emotional highs of Creed but it does a really good job continuing the story and mixing elements from Rocky III and IV. I really dug the relationship between Ivan and Victor Drago and thought they did an awesome job making Drago out to being scary good; I felt each punch. Recommended if you liked Creed.

23 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

I saw Casablanca for the first time last time. It’s truly one of the best films I’ve ever seen.   

Waited quite a while on that one, LOL.  Yes,  it is one of the most beloved of films for good reason.  Spectacular casting, great dialogue, and still relevant 70+ years later. 

On 11/23/2018 at 7:59 PM, Zorral said:

Sometime in the past, somewhere on this board, whether in Literature or Entertainment, we talked about Las aventuras del capitán Alatriste, the series of novels by Arturo Pérez-Reverte, featuring this great Spanish swordsman, soldier and adventurer of the 17th century.  A film was made, with Viggo Mortensen as capitán Alatriste, but, we lamented, it was never released in the US. 

However! Now! available, streaming on amazon prime, subtitled in English, the description says, is the 2016 Spanish television Alatriste series!  I haven't watched yet, having for a change a cornucopia of watching riches.  But surely this is going to be splendid because, let's face it, nobody does medieval and renaissance era sword fights like the Spanish.  They even do brilliant battle sequences with swords from horseback.  They never forgot how to do it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/video/detail/B07HDVLSP5/ref=atv_tv_hom_1_c_TXXlI6_brws_3_11

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I'm afraid this series is awful, and was universally panned when shown on Spanish television. If you're an Alatriste fan, do yourself a favour and avoid it.

1 hour ago, Mentat said:

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I'm afraid this series is awful, and was universally panned when shown on Spanish television. If you're an Alatriste fan, do yourself a favour and avoid it.

O no!  nononono!  Yes, I've read all the novels (in English -- my Spanish can get me around just fine in Spanish speaking cultures, but it's not up to fiction).

Archived