U.S. Politics: Death and Tax Cuts

Jace, Extat

Just watched the pre-taped Nixon-Cuomo Dem governor nomination primary on local CBS News.

They both drew blood.

As they say in the acting trade, Nixon is a quick study. I was deeply impressed by her mastery of so many subjects that an actress generally doesn't bother with, and specifically for NYC and NY.  But her great achilles heel, I still think, is that she IS a NYCer, not someone from upstate NY. What does she know of those people, the very, very, very many who fly the stars and bars over their porches up there?

Cuomo intelligently made sure that New York-D (as opposed to just NYC-D) is running against the orange nazi.  Nixon is running only against Cuomo.

And who will be the rethug candidate?

The primary is coming right the eff up, moved even earlier than it already was, like Sept. 10?

In any case though -- give cheers for Nixon -- she forced this debate.  He wouldn't do it, but finally had to. Her candidacy has been consistently pushing him further progressive out of the shameful Schumer preserve the status quo no matter what.

22 minutes ago, Guy Kilmore said:

So now people are being denied passports and possibly looking at deportation because they are having their citizenship questioned.  I thought we had settled this issue back during the Bush/Obama years, but it looks like it is getting revved up even more.

I'm surprised they've been at this for so long and nobody has sued them for a 6-7 figure sum. It seems flagrantly unconstitutional.

On 8/29/2018 at 9:50 AM, S John said:

I really think this is one of those claims that has entered urban legend territory.  Maybe a nugget of anecdotal truth, but trumped up over time.  I have been all over the place and never been treated with derision because I was American and that includes during the Bush era and also recently right after Trump got elected.  And aside from one shady situation in Indonesia (one of my own making) I have never claimed to be anything other than American to anyone.  Mainly because I don't want the motherfuckin' Canadians getting credit for all the times that I've been a polite and gracious guest in other countries.  

One of the more interesting takeaways of travelling for me was how good people in other countries usually are about separating people from their government.  I actually don't think Americans are as good at that because it's easy for Americans to only ever be around other Americans.  I have been worried at times that I'd encounter some negativity abroad, but almost everyone I've ever met, everywhere, seemed to have a pretty firm grasp on the fact that, really, we're all just fucking plebes and we don't get to make the rules.  

As long as you don't walk around saying "America! Fuck Yeah!" then you'll be OK. Pretty simple rule to follow when visiting other countries.

3 hours ago, Casablanca Birdie said:

I know I’m late here, but man this thread moved fast. And I just flew home from TitanMoot in Belfast.

This stuff was happening in the 70s, as the Vietnam War wrapped up, and the stories kept getting recycled to later decades. I kind of suspect it was related to how badly Vietnam vets were treated in the US, and students were worried they’d be badly treated in Europe. My best friend and I spent six weeks in Italy, Slovenia and the south of France in 1975 and we ran into it several times. I clearly remember waiting to switch trains on our way to Venice from Florence when we saw two guys with Canadian flags on their backpacks waiting as well. Yup, Americans who had heard it was the thing to do.

I think that was all gone by the time Reagan was president. And I agree with your comments about people being able to distinguish travelers apart from their governments. But I’ve been to Belfast four times now, and in the past I have met with some outright nastiness which has been explained to me as likely resulting from being mistaken for an American. There are some hard feelings against the US in Northern Ireland. This time around, when I went through duty-free in Toronto I picked up a Canadian flag pin which I wore all the time. The pin was so small I thought I was being silly, but let me tell you, people saw the pin immediately and regularly commented about Canada and asked where I was from, and for the first time I did not have any hostility incidents. The con is in a hotel right by Queen’s University, so maybe it’s just a student/academic thing, I don’t know.

It was really WW II for us. We had our own collective version of incels here during that time. US GIs were stationed in a lot of places, including small towns, and a common refrain from our menfolk who were not fighting in the war was that the Americans were "overpaid, oversexed and over here." And of course a bit of resentment at the fact that NZ troops were off fighting the war, while a bunch of American troops were having a south pacific holiday, banging as many innocent NZ ladies as they possibly could (and giving them VD in the process).

We've mostly gotten over it now.

30 minutes ago, Bonnot OG said:

Lol of course Fox cuts him.

Geez, you must be pretty intellectually challenged, or ideologically bankrupt, if you can debate an anarchist and hold your own against them.

Is Tucker Carlson one or other or both?

1 hour ago, Altherion said:

I'm surprised they've been at this for so long and nobody has sued them for a 6-7 figure sum. It seems flagrantly unconstitutional.

I don't remember how it resolved in 2009 when they stopped.  Now it is being done again, but also broaden. You'd think there would be at least a big payout...

The New York Times claims the Department of Education is considering new sexual misconduct rules for colleges:

Education Secretary Betsy DeVos is preparing new policies on campus sexual misconduct that would bolster the rights of students accused of assault, harassment or rape, reduce liability for institutions of higher education and encourage schools to provide more support for victims.

The proposed rules, obtained by The New York Times, narrow the definition of sexual harassment, holding schools accountable only for formal complaints filed through proper authorities and for conduct said to have occurred on their campuses. They would also establish a higher legal standard to determine whether schools improperly addressed complaints.

The article has a lot more, but the rules are not final yet so it's hard to say how good they are. Still, they're almost certainly better than the previous administration's guidance which resulted in proceedings which were, at best, kangaroo courts.

Anyone on this board. If you live near some of the towns below, make sure to be careful and alert.

An excellent piece by SPIEGELTV on Atomwaffen Division. Reporters tracked down John Denton aka "Rape" at his home, Grayson Denton aka "Nazgul" at his work, James Mason in Denver, Colorado, & Christian Gibson aka "Bones Kavanagh" in Stillwater, Oklahoma.

https://www.spiegel.tv/videos/1552044-die-atomwaffen-division

Betsy Devos and her Education Department claimed there were almost 240 school shootings in the 2015-16 school year as part of their safety hearings. (School shooting defined as anytime a gun goes off in a school or on school property, even if nobody is hurt.) NPR investigated that number by contacting schools, looks for articles on the schools named, etc., and could confirm only 11 such cases, with 160+ schools specifically saying "No, that never happened."

Link

How many times per year does a gun go off in an American school?

We should know. But we don't.

This spring the U.S. Education Department reported that in the 2015-2016 school year, "nearly 240 schools ... reported at least 1 incident involving a school-related shooting." The number is far higher than most other estimates.

But NPR reached out to every one of those schools repeatedly over the course of three months and found that more than two-thirds of these reported incidents never happened. Child Trends, a nonpartisan nonprofit research organization, assisted NPR in analyzing data from the government's Civil Rights Data Collection.

We were able to confirm just 11 reported incidents, either directly with schools or through media reports.

In 161 cases, schools or districts attested that no incident took place or couldn't confirm one. In at least four cases, we found, something did happen, but it didn't meet the government's parameters for a shooting. About a quarter of schools didn't respond to our inquiries.

"When we're talking about such an important and rare event, [this] amount of data error could be very meaningful," says Deborah Temkin, a researcher and program director at Child Trends.

The Education Department, asked for comment on our reporting, noted that it relies on school districts to provide accurate information in the survey responses and says it will update some of these data later this fall. But, officials added, the department has no plans to republish the existing publication.

Who wants to bet this fake study will be cited as a reason to, say, hire mercenaries from Betsy's brother to be in schools, or to undermine public schooling altogether in favor of private ones?

8 hours ago, Altherion said:

The New York Times claims the Department of Education is considering new sexual misconduct rules for colleges:

The article has a lot more, but the rules are not final yet so it's hard to say how good they are. Still, they're almost certainly better than the previous administration's guidance which resulted in proceedings which were, at best, kangaroo courts.

Sure, if you're accused of sexual assault, they're pretty good. If you're a victim, not so much. 

In light of this week's primaries and other pre-mid-term election events, one wonders if this sort of thing went on in other states with the governorship primaries.

Here there were a quite a few watching parties in various bars and some other venues for the pre-taping, and the subsequent, airing of the Nixon-Cuomo Dem primary debate.  By here I mean NYC -- mostly, it seems Brooklyn and Manhattan. 

This morning I'm not finding much coverage of this event from elsewhere in the state.  Is it just NYC?  If so, this doesn't bode well for Ms. Nixon.  Also it seems that these events were attended almost entirely by late 20's 30's people, and almost entirely Nixon supporters.  Both of these can skew ideas of general support across the board.

Are other states having these kinds of pre mid-term events?  One wonders particularly in light of the number of women and other Dem candidates across the board who are being credited with pushing the more traditional Dem opponents -- They Say -- out of their comfy centerist, status quo zones.

Maybe what I'm groping to express is that the orange nazi's permission for a huge swathe of the country to be as ugly, cruel, and corrupt in public, in both behavior and discourse, is what has actually pushed this diversity of gender and heritage candidates to the fore? 

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/29/us/politics/race-politics-trump.html?action=click&module=Top Stories&pgtype=Homepage

“Everything is being seen through the filter of Trump,” said Russ Schriefer, a Republican consultant who is working with Gov. Larry Hogan of Maryland, whose Democratic opponent, Ben Jealous, is black. Mr. Hogan has been one of the rare Republicans to successfully create a groove for himself in the party that is entirely distinct from Mr. Trump.

When you try to act too much like Mr. Trump, Mr. Schriefer added, “You’ve come to the consciousness of the voters based on that, so it’s a lot harder to escape.”

Many candidates, however, see little reason to want to escape Mr. Trump’s shadow given his overwhelming popularity with Republican voters — which Gallup measured at 85 percent in its most recent poll.

In the case of my state and the experience of that debate which the Nixon people forced on Cuomo -- he refused and refused and refused -- it was then held in overwhelmingly blue Manhattan.  In the meantime, as a friend has observed, who has moved to upstate NY from Mississippi, where and his family have lived all their generations back -- "There are more confederate flags flying here on people's porches than back home."

And orange nazi keeps telling people there is going to be violence if the Dems take back the House . . . .

8 hours ago, Bonnot OG said:

Anyone on this board. If you live near some of the towns below, make sure to be careful and alert.

An excellent piece by SPIEGELTV on Atomwaffen Division. Reporters tracked down John Denton aka "Rape" at his home, Grayson Denton aka "Nazgul" at his work, James Mason in Denver, Colorado, & Christian Gibson aka "Bones Kavanagh" in Stillwater, Oklahoma.

https://www.spiegel.tv/videos/1552044-die-atomwaffen-division

Although that Gibson fella in that report said he left the group and has apparently burned his stuff relating to that group. Still a guy I probably wouldn't want to share a beer with.

As for the last tweet,, with regards to the M8L8TH shirts. I think the number 88 is usually a pretty good giveaway with regards to the political leanings of the people using/wearing it. 

Apparently the Texas GOP is taking mudslinging to a new level.  They're circulating photos and videos of Beto O'Roarke in a rock band and on a skateboard.

The website [The Daily Dot] created a catalogue of positive reactions to the images shared by the Texas GOP, arguing that the party’s strategy had backfired. Vice said the “humiliating evidence” showed only that the country “might be interested in dating Beto O’Rourke.” GQ observed that the only “scandal” unearthed by Republicans was that “Beto O’Rourke has friends, is cool.”

Really hard hitting stuff there. 

6 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

Apparently the Texas GOP is taking mudslinging to a new level.  They're circulating photos and videos of Beto O'Roarke in a rock band and on a skateboard.

Really hard hitting stuff there. 

Amateurs. Had they played Avril Lavigne in the background to those pictures O'Roarke's campaign would be dead in the water by now.

But seriously they thought a skate board and playing in a rock band would be harmful for him electoral wise? <Insert a men-in-their-midlife-crisis-identifying-with-that joke here.>

Elizabeth Warren’s 2020 Maneuvering Is Getting Even More Aggressive

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2018/08/elizabeth-warren-2020-preparations-aggressive.html

While the senator continues avoiding trips to the important presidential nominating states of New Hampshire and Iowa, turning down repeated invitations, according to local officials, two of her aides in recent weeks decamped to New Hampshire for new jobs with the state’s Democratic Party committee — one as its new communications director, and another as its political director. It’s a classic move for potential presidential hopefuls whose staffers are eager for face time and connections in early-voting states. “If she decided to run in New Hampshire, it would be good to have access to people with New Hampshire experience,” explained Kathy Sullivan, a former chair of the state party.

Archived