Football: Remain in Europe

Iskaral Pust

Donnarumma has regressed a lot ever since holding the club hostage for a new contract. He has cost Milan so many goals because he cannot deal with aerial balls and can't play out from the back for shit either. He's still only 19 so can get better but no club should bother trying to sign him as there are better keepers currently available for a fraction of the cost. 

1 hour ago, Consigliere said:

Newcastle have had a very difficult run of fixtures to start the season so I wouldn't put it past Rafa turning things around and keeping them up again (they went through a worse run last season picking up no points in 9 games) but it's going to be an uphill battle. The big problem for Newcastle is that Rafa has had to sell before he could buy which has resulted in them having very little depth and the injuries to Rondon and Lejeune have been major blows to an already thin squad.  

Well, there are still weaker squads than Newcastle around.

I stick with my pre-season pick Huddersfield going down this season. Cardiff aren't exactly worldbeaters either. Then you just need one more team to finish below you. Brighton or Fulham should be good, or rather bad enough for that task.

That's always the one faint light for relegation battlers, the other teams trying to fight off relegation are usually as bad as you. Of course dropping those three (really attainable) points against Manchester United could still hurt them at the end of the season.

That’s harsh on Brighton.  Newcastle, Cardiff and Huddersfield look much worse than them as a squad, and Fulham will concede a lot more, although they can at least score themselves.  Plus Southampton look incapable of scoring outside of a 1-in-3 contribution from Ings, including penalties. 

Brighton’s only league losses so far are Liverpool, City and Spurs.  And they beat United.  They draw too many for sure but they seem a lot better prepared to pick up points all season than Newcastle, Cardiff or Huddersfield. 

Maybe, but that doesn't change the bigger picture. Newcastle just has to find 3 teams who are worse, or will do worse than them to stay up. Huddersfield will drop (as in they are the weakest team in the league imho). Then it's just two more. Cardiff is a good pick as to who will follow Huddersfield. So I think Newcastle's prospects of somehow staying up are not that bad.

If Leicester hold on to win, United will be in the bottom half of the table tonight.

I know that shouldn't make me snigger, but it's just one of many things I don't have the maturity or graciousness not to do.  I bet I give up muttering in sarcastic exasperation -- of course flashing hazard lights mean you can just stop there and block the lane! -- about every bad driver before I give up schadenfreude toward United.

Fair play, Arsenal were decidedly second best for most of the first half and they were very close to conceding another goal a couple of times but they’ve stuck in the game and now they’re turning it on. The second Aubameyang goal was quality.

We've given a bunch of good chances away, but we're a joy to watch. Ozil so good today. You gotta enjoy these goals/ games ( whilst still *maybe* looking ominously at what liverpool *might* do to us) 

Ozil heavily involved in all three. Gotta love it. 

16 hours ago, Raja said:

We've given a bunch of good chances away, but we're a joy to watch. Ozil so good today. You gotta enjoy these goals/ games ( whilst still *maybe* looking ominously at what liverpool *might* do to us) 

Ozil heavily involved in all three. Gotta love it. 

Liverpool need to rediscover some form up front before looking ominous to anyone.  Our final pass lately has been very poor.  But I live in hope that it will all come together soon.

City strolled in the CL tonight, United lost narrowly -- a convincing 1-0 victory for Juve by the sounds of it, if you know what I mean.

What's happened to Serie A?

Just watched the highlight show from last weekend, and it's full of great goals, high-octane football, competitive matches and (mostly) packed stands.

Not that I've been playing very close attention, but I'd grown accustomed to Italian highlights over the past two decades featuring few goals, walking football, uneven matchups and half-empty stadia.

Has there been some fundamental shift?

13 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

United lost narrowly -- a convincing 1-0 victory for Juve by the sounds of it, if you know what I mean.

It was pretty comfortable for Juve. The match itself was quite dreary and not worth watching for neutrals. As usual, Mourinho set us up with a game-plan that revolved entirely around containing but Dybala scored anyway. We came out with more intent in the 2nd half but aside from Pogba hitting the woodwork, Juve dealt with us without ever getting out of 3rd gear. Mourinho was probably quite happy to take a 0-1 defeat since he didn't even bother making any substitutions. 

Hardly surprising. I understand the desire to watch Liverpool score 6 or more in a game, as Liverpool has not really produced that much entertainment this season. But Liverpool - Red Star simply looks a bit too one sided to make good entertainment for a neutral.

Personally I think the PSG-Napoli game is the one worth watching.

Archived