US Politics: Red, Red Whine

Fragile Bird

6 minutes ago, Mexal said:

True. But I also simply cannot see Manchin being willing to be the 50th vote, which he would be if Collins or Flake actually is a 'no' on the final vote.

And on that note,

Very likely nothing, but Steven Dennis was the one who immediately picked up on the frowns/other body language during the ACA repeal vote and started tweeting about how something was up with McCain almost an hour before anyone else.

16 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

So, have they voted the predator onto the bench, or is this farce still going on?

Technically speaking, no, but the writing is on the wall. Today was a procedural vote. Tomorrow is the confirmation.

13 minutes ago, Fez said:

Very likely nothing, but Steven Dennis was the one who immediately picked up on the frowns/other body language during the ACA repeal vote and started tweeting about how something was up with McCain almost an hour before anyone else.

Sure but this is the other side of it. John Roberts is reporting the WH thinks they have the votes they need.

13 minutes ago, Mexal said:

Sure but this is the other side of it. John Roberts is reporting the WH thinks they have the votes they need.

Also true, reading body language is one of the worst of tea leaves. Though Murkowski shouldn't have been surprised by Collins voting 'aye' here, the 3pm speech announcement was already public. Maybe Flake was a surprise though?

And I wouldn't trust anything out of the White House, including knowing how to count votes. They may very well have Flake, Collins, and Manchin, but they could also just be blustering and projecting wishful thinking. 

We'll know more, though not all, at 3pm.

13 minutes ago, Mexal said:

Flake said he's a yes tomorrow. So it's Collins or bust.

"Unless something big changes."

Nothing will change, he's an 'aye,' but I like how he remains committed to his last name to the very end.

If Collins announces this afternoon that she voted Yes today but will vote No tomorrow, that means Pence will be the tie breaker.

I am having lunch with a good friend. A male friend. A male, married friend. A fucking Vice President who would not have lunch with me would put the shit Kavanaugh in the SCOTUS. But he wouldn’t have lunch with me.

8 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

If Collins announces this afternoon that she voted Yes today but will vote No tomorrow, that means Pence will be the tie breaker.

I am having lunch with a good friend. A male friend. A male, married friend. A fucking Vice President who would not have lunch with me would put the shit Kavanaugh in the SCOTUS. But he wouldn’t have lunch with me.

Only the case if Manchin stays voting yes, and I continue to believe he will not be the deciding vote. With Murkowski and Flake going opposite directions, that means him voting however Collins votes.

My gut is that Collins will announce this afternoon that she's an 'aye' and that's it; but that's not a foregone conclusion yet.

21 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

A bit beside the point, but why would you ever want to have lunch with that man? Anyway, you have to admit that would be fitting for both of them in many ways. Pence the good Christian confirming that pos to the supreme court. And Cavanaugh getting voted in by Pence. It's a match made in heaven, or whereever that funky dude with the horns lives.

36 minutes ago, Fez said:

"Unless something big changes." 

Nothing will change, he's an 'aye,' but I like how he remains committed to his last name to the very end.

Well, maybe the next protester does not try to reason with Hatch, but just tosses a molotov cocktail into the elevator. But yes, I really don'T get the whole point of the past week.

They were always going to confirm, and guys like Hatch just put Prof. Ford thru that ordeal for no reason whatsoever. And what big revelations did Flake expect from the FBI in one week?

49 minutes ago, Fez said:

Only the case if Manchin stays voting yes, and I continue to believe he will not be the deciding vote. With Murkowski and Flake going opposite directions, that means him voting however Collins votes.

My gut is that Collins will announce this afternoon that she's an 'aye' and that's it; but that's not a foregone conclusion yet.

I think she says yes too. Also, if Manchin votes yes and is deciding vote, he should just change his affiliation. He's clearly massively out of touch with Democratic voters.

How Liberals Could Declare War on Brett Kavanaugh’s Supreme Court

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2018/10/brett-kavanaugh-confirmation-constitutional-crisis.html

But what happens when Democrats take back the legislative and executive branches? What if Democrats pass Medicare for All, and the Supreme Court strikes it down, with Kavanaugh casting the decisive fifth vote? It’s not hard to envision Democrats marching in the streets, demanding that the president and Congress ignore the ruling. And what if they do? What happens if the Department of Health and Human Services just … implements the law anyway? It’s easy to envision the presidential statement: As the chief executive, it is my duty to enact this legislation, passed through the democratic process, and to reject the illegitimate ruling of Donald Trump’s Supreme Court. The federal government, acting on orders of the president, opens enrollment, and Congress appropriates the funds as planned. What can the Supreme Court do? Send its tiny police force to storm the White House?

You can't cut him off if you want to keep the chance of winning the Senate, the chances are which are even narrower now than they were a couple of weeks ago because Heitkamp appears to be drowning in the polls.

It is absolutely the case that I can see Manchin winning and then going independent and caucusing with the Republicans or, even worse, just going full-on R. But that's the card the Democrats have been dealt. Making sure he loses just means another solid R senator for six years. Making sure he wins gets you, hopefully, a shakey D senator, a shakey D senator who may become less shakey come 2020 if the blue tide continues.

Is there a more useless Dem senator than Manchin? Perez gave him the go ahead with saying the DNC will back any Dem that votes for Kavanaugh. Manchin needs resign and then go find the nearest coal mine and live out the rest of his miserable life there. And Perez needs to be fucking replaced for that act of pure ignorance and foolishness.

16 minutes ago, Ran said:

You can't cut him off if you want to keep the chance of winning the Senate, the chances are which are even narrower now than they were a couple of weeks ago because Heitkamp appears to be drowning in the polls.

It is absolutely the case that I can see Manchin winning and then going independent and caucusing with the Republicans or, even worse, just going full-on R. But that's the card the Democrats have been dealt. Making sure he loses just means another solid R senator for six years. Making sure he wins gets you, hopefully, a shakey D senator, a shakey D senator who may become less shakey come 2020 if the blue tide continues.

Manchin is fucking useless. Keeping the senate with him is worthless since he constantly votes like a republican. hes fucking garbage.

He does not "constantly vote" like a Republican. You can look at his record yourself -- there's quite a lot of party line votes where he voted with his party,. But even if he votes 50% of the time with the Republicans, that's better than an actual Republican would do.

He needs support for this re-election, simple as that. After that, we can look to 2024, when the blue wave may have made him less necessary (though I think it likely he'll see this as his last term).

Archived