US Politics: Red, Red Whine

Fragile Bird

6 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

Lots of them do own it. They stand there with signs or wear t-shirts inviting him to come grab them.

Of course, every single woman I've seen in those circumstances was not a woman that Trump would have been interested in (from what I've seen) so it is very weird.

Well, these Trump-voting white women are often married, older, and more prosperous. They are protected more than more vulnerable women from both gropers and the awful effects of GOP policies.

The real dummies are the working-class men voting for the billionaires to further enslave them.

Manchin sounds like a yes- “I am looking at the gentleman as an adult from 22 to 53, thirty-one years of professional service,” said Manchin. “I am looking at him as a father. As a person in a community, how he interacts with his community. I am trying to put the human side to it.”

Sure, look at him, but look at him last fucking week, or 10 years ago when he lied under oath.  That's a CRIME!  Why is nobody talking about how they want to put a criminal on the Supreme Court?

39 minutes ago, aceluby said:

Sure, look at him, but look at him last fucking week, or 10 years ago when he lied under oath.  That's a CRIME!  Why is nobody talking about how they want to put a criminal on the Supreme Court?

I mean, we're all talking about it.

But to most of those Republican Senators? Well, they have a mental image of what a criminal is, and what a criminal isn't, and Brett Kavanaugh just doesn't fit their mental schema for 'criminal'. When men like Kavanaugh lie under oath, it's an understandable reaction, it's a forgivable slip, it's not something you need to ruin someone's life over.

1 hour ago, Fragile Bird said:

Lots of them do own it. They stand there with signs or wear t-shirts inviting him to come grab them.

Of course, every single woman I've seen in those circumstances was not a woman that Trump would have been interested in (from what I've seen) so it is very weird.

Stupid is as stupid does.

Why do people vote against their best interest?

Why do people think a guy with a literal gold plated apartment is a populist?

When his policies will screw them while allowing himself to become richer?

Face it, the average American is a complete moron. I used to be optimistic about their abilities, but years canvassing in the field beat that out of me.

If Kavanaugh is getting 50+ votes anyway, I'm sure Manchin will vote yes. And I hope he does, its smart politics for him and doesn't matter substantively.

On the other hand, if Kavanaugh is stuck at 49, I'm fairly certain Manchin will suck it up and vote no.

Same goes for Heitkamp, though polling is starting to look like she's doomed no matter what she does here.

1 minute ago, Morpheus said:

Flake is a yes due to “no additional corroborating evidence”. What a weasel, hound this fucker, make him get that stupid upset tummy look on his face everyday. Like ainsaid last week, there are no decent Republicans

lol, you call for people to hound a senator for doing his job and then, in the same fucking sentence proclaim there are no decent Republicans. 

fucking liberals man

9 minutes ago, Frog Eater said:

lol, you call for people to hound a senator for doing his job and then, in the same fucking sentence proclaim there are no decent Republicans. 

fucking liberals man

No, he is not. I don't recall "rubber stamping a deeply partisan, dishonest, and young SCOTUS-nominee with multiple sexual assault/harrassment allegations after a sham of an investigation by the FBI" as part of his job description.

fucking conservatives man.

18 minutes ago, Frog Eater said:

fucking liberals man

Confirming a man to the Supreme Court after lying under oat is doing his job?

Pretty low bar you conservatives have.  No wonder you guys keep electing these assholes.

51 minutes ago, Frog Eater said:

fucking liberals man

If you're not one of the 1% and you support the Republicans you're just plain stupid, best case scenario.  Fucking conservatives, man.

57 minutes ago, Frog Eater said:

fucking liberals man

Look man, a yes vote for Kavanaugh essentially means you don’t believe Dr. Ford.

What message does that send to women who have been victims of sexual violence and have yet to come forward?

Look at it this way. In the current administration's 2nd Supreme Court Nomination (notably from a widely available and closed population list- high court oppo for this political moment has been given a rare handicap), after some excitement in speculation, they go with the "safe" pick. Which is to say someone not seen as one to revisit a certain decision unprompted (the key distinguishment from the speculated alternative that people perceived), a former clerk of the Judge being replaced, broad spectrum recommendation on account being very much the "establishments" representative. Some intra-establishment animosity in the past but that had been perceived as having been worked out with a brief career progression delay; good broad patronage and likewise a wide patron of others. Safe. (Gutless, if you're being uncharitable and inclined that way.)

Events occur that it is perceivable that if one assumes this was someone's plan to disrupt the nomination process at a specific moment using an item kept at hand, obtain a prompt withdrawal when a second nomination process would be mechanically impossible under this Legislature and the current administration's 2nd Supreme Court Nomination can be neutralized utilizing a further expansion of some new mutually observed legislative norms should events allow.... it's believable, if you assume some out of the ordinary optimism to go with the out of the ordinary cutthroat political behavior.

Inordinate optimism in three related areas (which I personally believe haven't been born out). The disrupting item has to obtain a conventional standard of importance and proof (either already possess it, or acquire it in the truncated timeframe allowed- as would in at least some way have to be a blind draw, optimistic to rely on). Ones opponents have to in sufficient degree cooperate with where these conventional standards are (historically speaking, they've been appalling low as well appallingly high. If I had to take a guess about somebody else's guess, I'd say an expectation to err towards "low" at the moment. This is still unreasonably optimistic.). There must not be a widening, extended, and unresolved conflict over these (which would be unwarranted optimism- you don't pick the size and duration of a fight unilaterally).

That's gone about as badly as it could while still being implemented, but isn't contradicted as an assumption.

It's much more attractive to see this as a series of events (surrounding another event) with a genesis in and carried on with error and animosity (and it's never a mistake to hold out for that), But I recommend making allowances for people that don't.

(I know this is harder to follow than it needs to be but I see that as meaning anyone who bothers to try to understand what I am saying will also bother to understand what I am saying)

3 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

It would be very weird regardless of whatever words came after ‘of course’.

Archived