Small Questions v. 10106

Rhaenys_Targaryen

On 9/22/2023 at 5:08 AM, The Bard of Banefort said:

Is it ever mentioned what Elinor Costayne looked like? I could have sworn she was a redhead, but when I looked it up I didn’t find anything.

I think The Sons of the Dragon described her as fiery, but that's it, and the line was removed in F&B anyway.

2 hours ago, The Wondering Wolf said:

I think The Sons of the Dragon described her as fiery, but that's it, and the line was removed in F&B anyway.

Yes, that’s it! Thank you. For whatever reason, F&B never mentions what Elinor, Alys Harroway, or Ceryse Hightower look like (or Alicent, for that matter). There are illustrations in other books books but still, it’s a weird omission. (It would also be pretty un-George like for him not to include a redhead among the wives).

• 2 weeks later...

Is this the place I would ask some random small thing? I was wondering suddenly...why are the Fossoways..not lords. Like, they are listed as principal bannermen in the Reach and have connections to Garth Greenhand right? Why ...aren't they lords. Just seems really odd. 

@Rhaenys_Targaryen, Are you still around? I think I stumbled on a complication with the placement of the Arya Feast chapters in the Most Precise ASOIAF Timeline. Consider the Old Mother’s Son one of Salladhor Saab’s ships. In Cat of the Canals a mate aboard a Volantine galley newly arrived in Braavos reports being attacked by Old Mother’s Son. And when Davos visits Sisterton he reports that Old Mother’s Son ran aground at Skagos after Stannis dispatched his hand to treat with Lord Wyman and before Cersei learns falsely that Wyman has beheaded Davos. 

52 minutes ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

@Rhaenys_Targaryen, Are you still around? I think I stumbled on a complication with the placement of the Arya Feast chapters in the Most Precise ASOIAF Timeline. Consider the Old Mother’s Son one of Salladhor Saab’s ships. In Cat of the Canals a mate aboard a Volantine galley newly arrived in Braavos reports being attacked by Old Mother’s Son. And when Davos visits Sisterton he reports that Old Mother’s Son ran aground at Skagos after Stannis dispatched his hand to treat with Lord Wyman and before Cersei learns falsely that Wyman has beheaded Davos. 

Never mind… It has to be an ERROR. It would force Sam 3, Feast 26 to happen before Sam 1, Feast 5, and obviously, that can’t be. 

So, the mate aboard the Volantene galley newly arrived in Braavos in Cat of the Canals, Feast 34 must have mistaken another ship for Old Mother’s Son. 

8 hours ago, Takiedevushkikakzvezdy said:

@Ran Do we know how lord Walter Whent and Catelyn's mother Minisa Whent are related? If they were siblings, then it would mean that Catelyn had some pretty close relatives on the opposite side of Robert's Rebellion.

We don't actually know. George was once asked indirectly but didn't answer in a way that determined things. 

Personally, it would make a lot of sense if she was Lord Whent's sister.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
24 minutes ago, Potsk said:

A new house was just listed on The Citadel: House Polander. The only info is "A house created by GRRM but not yet appearing in the novels." Did GRRM just now take contact about this, and if so why? Could it have something to do with Winds?

Nope he mentioned it to us in 2001. Then a discussion on this board about Scottish dwarves in fantasy reminded me of it, only to realize that we never actually put it up.

Edited by Ran

5 hours ago, The Wondering Wolf said:

And you have really no idea what region it is from? Lions could indicate westerlands.

And House Osgrey? House Grandson?

George never gave a region, so we make no assumptions.