UK Politics: A Third Meaningful Thread

mormont

14 hours ago, Pebble said:

On the way, just outside Upminster station there was a mass of people with kids in sports kits and a whole throng of police in high vis.  Some very angry tall person saw me with my sign, shouted "traitorous bitch" and physically launched himself at me tried to take a swing at me.  I ducked.  he never got a chance to try again as the Throng of Police flattened him.   I want to make it clear he never made any contact with me and I'm fine.  was rather shaken up for a bit, and I did think about going straight home, I'm glad I didn't, I will not be silenced.  I'm very thankful for the police and their quick actions.

Virtual hugs. Hopefully this will cheer you up a little.

https://mobile.twitter.com/ByDonkeys/status/1109436394492121088

Nigel Farage having a pint in front of a TV screen showing Nigel Farage calling for a second referendum.

38 minutes ago, Pebble said:

Wow,  I am guessing you really don't understand our tabloids very well, and underestimate the gammon hate and rage.  Apart from being punched in the face by some guy 2 foot taller than me who has a few visible mussels and a beer belly, I really could do without all the rape and death threats.

I'm glad you are okay Pebs and sorry you had to experience that. And no, @The Anti-Targeven if you were joking that option would never be better. Fuck off with that noise, noone should "take one for the cause." as it were. 

Anyway, I'm sorry I don't live in London anymore and couldn't make it to the march yesterday. Happy to see all who did turn out though.

15 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Glad you're OK. But it might have been better for the cause if you'd let him make contact. Imagine the headlines, and the public sympathy. 'Bovver Boy Bully Bashes Lady Brexit Protester'. And he'd be going to prison for assault.

I think maybe you should have thought a bit more before posting this since it does read like you are saying to someone who has just been through a traumatic experience that you wish it had been even more traumatic. I'm guessing you didn't intend for it to come across that way.

14 hours ago, Nothing Has Changed said:

Also, I am not very convinced this whole replace the PM and the deal passes thing is going to work. Every week the Tory party sees its hopes collapse, the latest wheez to  sneak the deal through falls flat on its face and they delude themselves about the EU, the DUP, whoever giving in.

Even if Gove is installed he still has the DUP and Baker's Brexiteers for Remain mob to get past. And Gove is likely even more keen on global Britain than May, who was more about immigration, so he's even less likely to go for the customs union route. But even if he does it will probably turn out that the customs union is Corbyn's cover for voting against the deal, not the real reason.

Maybe it could reduce the size of the loss a bit, but I agree I don't see how it lets May's deal pass.

Maybe Gove can be like Nixon, and go to China (i.e. Revoke).

I don't see that happening, but if he chose to he might find it easier to sell his party on the 'long delay' option.

Really sorry you had a bad experience Pebble - glad you escaped unscathed and were brave enough to continue to the march and enjoyed it.

I've just got home (stayed over in London) and the petition has just reached 5 million! 

On the train back I was sitting next to someone who had voted Tory but planned never to do so again, who'd been on the march and signed the petition, so we talked about the march and got talking to the two people opposite, one of whom worked for the NHS and was a Labour voter, but hadn't heard of the petition, so I explained about it and she resolved to sign it.

I marched with two other people and it was wonderful arriving at Bond Street tube station and lots of young people pouring out of the tunnels from all directions with flags and banners and hats and stickers, and then joining the throngs in Park Lane, people of all ages, people with pushchairs and wheelchairs and children on shoulders and all the rest of it.  Lots of people with witty home-made signs (you could tell a lot of educated people) - and lots of Monty Python jokes.  But a huge variety of people "Goths against Brexit", one sign which said "I'm a part-time deliveroo driver is that what you call liberal elite" (or something like that).  Various bands and dancers.  Bagpipes playing the "Ode to Joy".  People singing "Where's Jeremy Corbyn".  Occasional chants of "Bollocks to Brexit", cheering which spread like a Mexican wave - we had no idea what we were cheering about but someone far in front of us had presumably said something good!

We marched for 4 hours, started at Park Lane at 12.30pm and things were already on the move but really slow.  Despite realising the middle section was going extra slow due to bands and dance-acts in the way (not a good idea surely?) and hence moving closer to one side, due to the sheer number of people it still took us 1-2 hours just to get down Park Lane to the official start of the march, and by 4.30pm we'd only made it to Trafalgar Square where a big screen thanked us for marching and wished us a safe journey home, so we guessed the march had finished.  So we skipped the Whitehall section and dispersed along with loads of other people, with the flags and banners and stickers then spreading through every street.  It was an amazing march - really friendly and everybody was patient and good-natured.  We only saw two police officers the whole time: such a different experience from the (small) People's Vote march in Sunderland, where we were flanked by police for our own protection from angry Brexiters.

Funniest moments (apart from all the witty signs), Boris-Johnson lookalike with shirt hanging out got a lot of cheers:

https://twitter.com/Farmer_MattM/status/1109501175202791426/photo/1

And I swear at one point a man behind me looked at a placard in front of us and said to the man next to him "have you seen that?  I thought we were marching for Brexit" and the other guy said "Yeah, I'm confused".

15 hours ago, Nothing Has Changed said:

Also, I am not very convinced this whole replace the PM and the deal passes thing is going to work. Every week the Tory party sees its hopes collapse, the latest wheez to  sneak the deal through falls flat on its face and they delude themselves about the EU, the DUP, whoever giving in.

It won't. It just removes the horror of having to campaign with May as PM again for the Tory party - or do you believe May will keep that promise about her stepping down before the next election? The deal itself however will remain unchanged, and it's way too late by now to negotiate something else. The only rationale for this horse trade (May steps down in return for her deal getting thru) would be that another Tory PM can get a bloody nose in negotiating the future relationship. But if the Tory has that fantasy about Gove (or whoever) fairing much better there, who am I to crush that dream? This may or may not pacify the Tory party, but those party political considerations will hardly matter for their buddies in the DUP. I am not even bothered with Labour, and what they might do. Only god knows, and she doesn't exist.

Anyway, I am more curious whether May will (try to) put her deal before parliament again, or if she wants to try to delay that for likesay another two weeks. I genuinely wouldn't put that past her. Since you lot bet on everything, what are the odds for that?

58 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Anyway, I am more curious whether May will (try to) put her deal before parliament again, or if she wants to try to delay that for likesay another two weeks. I genuinely wouldn't put that past her. Since you lot bet on everything, what are the odds for that?

Agreed, what May will do now is transparently obvious.

As even she realises that she will not get her deal through in the next week, she will try to delay and ensure nothing meaningful happens until April 11th, when she will try once more to force MPs to vote for it with the alternative of crashing out with no deal on the April 12th. The tactic she seems to be currently evolving is to allow a series of non-binding indicative votes to happen next week, and then just ignore the results of them.

We can only wait and see if the Tories, or parliament generally, does something to stop her, but my guess is that a no deal crash out on April 12th is the most likely option.

Hey remainers and other assorted lefties,

If the can does get kicked past April 11, and May sticks around for two months or so before a leadership contest begins, there is actually something infinitely more potent than attending a daft march or signing a pointless petition you can do to take control of Brexit.

Join the conservative party.*

Think about it, who do you want to select the next PM, the current drooling band of activists or you and your little veggie-munching placard-carrying friends. 

*you need to be a member for three months prior to the ballot before you get to vote for the leader. So you need to join now.

It is just £25 too. £25 to get your country back. Bargain.  

Just now, Nothing Has Changed said:

If the can does get kicked past April 11, and May sticks around for two months or so before a leadership contest begins, there is actually something infinitely more portent than attending a daft march or signing a pointless petition you can do to take control of Brexit.

I don'T mean to presume to write for our UK residents (LIE!).

What would be the point? If the can were kicked down, then UK would have crashed out of the EU. You want to reclaim your party? DIY.

People on the left are probably more concerned with getting Labour back from the Corbyn cultists.

1 minute ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

I don'T mean to presume to write for our UK residents (LIE!).

What would be the point? If the can were kicked down, then UK would have crashed out of the EU. You want to reclaim your party? DIY.

People on the left are probably more concerned with getting Labour back from the Corbyn cultists.

Do you know what the expression 'kick the can down the road' means?

6 minutes ago, Nothing Has Changed said:

Do you know what the expression 'kick the can down the road' means?

I do, but I am not sure what you define as can kicking here.

April 11. is definite end of the road. If she tries to kick the can further (no vote and just dithering around), it is crash out.

If you define a long extension as can kicking, then your definition is a bit off. 

:dunno:

Just now, A Horse Named Stranger said:

I do, but I am not sure what you define as can kicking here.

April 11. is definite end of the road. If she tries to kick the can further (no vote and just dithering around), it is crash out.

If you define a long extension as can kicking, then your definition is a bit off. 

:dunno:

Well whatever you want to call it that's what I meant. 

37 minutes ago, Nothing Has Changed said:

Hey remainers and other assorted lefties,

If the can does get kicked past April 11, and May sticks around for two months or so before a leadership contest begins, there is actually something infinitely more potent than attending a daft march or signing a pointless petition you can do to take control of Brexit.

Join the conservative party.*

Think about it, who do you want to select the next PM, the current drooling band of activists or you and your little veggie-munching placard-carrying friends. 

*you need to be a member for three months prior to the ballot before you get to vote for the leader. So you need to join now.

It is just £25 too. £25 to get your country back. Bargain.  

:rofl:

But it is a thought. Number crunching:

• Petition signers: 5 million (so far).
  • Vegetarians: 3 million.
  • Yesterday's marchers 1 million plus (though according to Sophelia at least 2 were pro Brexit).
  • Members of the Tory party: 125 thousand.

Admittedly some card carrying Tories have signed the petition and some even went on the march. Sophelia was not the only one to spot an apologetic and slightly drunken looking Boris Johnson there for example.

(Also, where we were, the Mexican wave cheers were, oddly, coming from the back of the march and travelling forwards.)

For the record though a substantial number, perhaps a majority, of Brexiteer voters are on the left.

3 minutes ago, A wilding said:

But it is a thought. Number crunching:

• Petition signers: 5 million (so far).
  • Vegetarians: 3 million.
  • Yesterday's marchers 1 million plus (though according to Sophelia at least 2 were pro Brexit).
  • Members of the Tory party: 125 thousand.

Admittedly some card carrying Tories have signed the petition and some even went on the march. Sophelia was not the only one to spot an apologetic and slightly drunken looking Boris Johnson there for example.

(Also, where we were, the Mexican wave cheers were, oddly, coming from the back of the march and travelling forwards.)

For the record though a substantial number, perhaps a majority, of Brexiteer voters are on the left.

Really, how do you figure that?

3 minutes ago, A wilding said:

Well apart from anything else, the way in which many Labour MPs are terrified that opposing Brexit will be electoral suicide?

That's true of certain seats, in the north of England (Don Valley) and some in Wales. I think people who say they will vote Labour break heavily for Remain and even at the referendum we think Labour voters went 2/3 for Remain. It is more that Labour thinks its route to power is through Brexit votes not Remain votes. Still, its true Brexit does cut across the usual right/left division. 

5 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Corbyn being somewhat of a Brexiter himself.

I don't think this gets emphasised enough. Corbyn is absolutely a Brexiter, its more than him just being worried about losing Labour seats, its that he genuinely doesn't believe in the European project and sees it as an obstacle to many of the changes he wishes to implement. You can see a little twitch in his face every time he has to do anything that is even slightly Remainy

2 hours ago, Heartofice said:

I don't think this gets emphasised enough. Corbyn is absolutely a Brexiter, its more than him just being worried about losing Labour seats, its that he genuinely doesn't believe in the European project and sees it as an obstacle to many of the changes he wishes to implement. You can see a little twitch in his face every time he has to do anything that is even slightly Remainy

Er, have you been living under a rock? This is frequently brought up both on this forum and the wider media

Archived