Threads that will be dropped

legba11

So there is not much left, and I feel pretty confident these last episodes will be more of what we've gotten for the past few seasons, which is characters rushing around to get from one big moment to the next.

It made me think what plotlines or threads just died on the vine in the show that will not get resolved in these last episodes.  

1. Littlefinger discovers Arya at Harrenhall.  Well he's dead, and everyone knows where she is, so this is almost certainly done.

2. Financial issues:  The crown was drowning in debt and told the Iron Bank to F' off.  The Lannisters also have no source of real income any more.  Unless I forgot something, these threads haven't been touched in several seasons.

3. Random mystics around Dany:  The masked woman betrayal prophecy, the maegi's prophecy, the red priest Tyrion hired...

I'm sure there are more...

The finance part, I thought that was touched on in S7? He told Cersei that even if she had Euron, he has no loyalty to her or some such. It's probably leading up to the GC betraying her and the Iron Bank backing them.

Qaithe is a problem in the books too. George originally planned to have a five year gap, and gave up on that. It seemed that things were lining up for Dany to go to Asshai to somehow end up landing in Westeros from its west side (you must go east to go west), probably at Lannisport, taking Casterly Rock, then High Garden, as Aegon is in the east side. It all was a repeat of the cyvasse game Tyrion has with Aegon, except now Tyrion is being beaten by Aegon and doing all the things he told him not to because Dany is a pawn he can't control right.

The show kept the part where she attacks west even if they had her land at Dragonstone. There's probably a lot of things they were following George on before he either changed the story himself or they just decided they were going to start to diverge from his plot.

27 minutes ago, SuperMario said:

Everything involving Essos:

- The fate of Slaver's Bay.

- Braavos and the Faceless Men

I think had the books ever got this stage then Slaver's Bay and Braavos would be out the picture too (no POVs there surely?).  I wouldn't rule out the Faceless Men returning though, although it is true that there existence may have been nothing more than a plot device to turn Arya into an ultimate assassin.

6 hours ago, SuperMario said:

Everything involving Essos:

- The fate of Slaver's Bay.

- Braavos and the Faceless Men

And that better stay that way.

Imagine the genious writing and storytelling: "We are interrupting the battle against the White Walkers and now we return to the great Pyramid of Mereen. What is Daario up to?"

Most of the things listed here are nothing but check points for the main characters to get to where they need to be, learn the skills to make their heroics and decisions later on make sense. 

2 hours ago, T and A said:

And that better stay that way.

Imagine the genious writing and storytelling: "We are interrupting the battle against the White Walkers and now we return to the great Pyramid of Mereen. What is Daario up to?"

Yup, another three seasons of mooning about in Meereen can't be something anybody wants. Although I'd be surprised if Daario doesn't get some kind of a look-in before the end. 

Why was Sam (and Will) left alive by the White Walkers, why didn't they kill them?

What is happening in Dorne, Essos, really anywhere to the east.... Dorne has no leaders right now, right?

Why the Witch's prophecy was so wrong about Cersei?

What about the horn that Sam found?

For smaller things that they won't address and that's fine:

Why are people not more upset about Jon abandoning the Watch? It's punishable by death.

How did Euron build the greatest fleet ever?

Why are more people not upset with Cersei after destroying their religion and blowing up innocent people?

Why didn't Jon Snow's revival cost a blood sacrifice?

Honestly, how didn't Tywin recognize Arya... this still bothers me to today.

18 minutes ago, btfu806 said:

Why was Sam (and Will) left alive by the White Walkers, why didn't they kill them?

What is happening in Dorne, Essos, really anywhere to the east.... Dorne has no leaders right now, right?

Why the Witch's prophecy was so wrong about Cersei?

What about the horn that Sam found?

For smaller things that they won't address and that's fine:

Why are people not more upset about Jon abandoning the Watch? It's punishable by death.

How did Euron build the greatest fleet ever?

Why are more people not upset with Cersei after destroying their religion and blowing up innocent people?

Why didn't Jon Snow's revival cost a blood sacrifice?

Honestly, how didn't Tywin recognize Arya... this still bothers me to today.

Because he'd never met her before?

Jon's watch ended when he died.  I think people accept that.

More people may be pissed off with Cersei, but we don't see their POVs.

Did Beric's revivals require blood sacrifice?

30 minutes ago, Ser Gareth said:

Because he'd never met her before? That is a fair point but he knew she was northern and highborn and knew Arya Stark was missing. For someone as smart and cunning as Tywin, it really seems like he should have gotten it. 

Jon's watch ended when he died.  I think people accept that. He dies, comes back, does an act as the Lord Commander (executes a bunch of people from the Night's Watch) then leaves. If he came back and left, I get it then. But once he starts doing acts as the Lord Commander, he is either still the Lord Commander and then a deserter or gets a pass from the night's watch and is not part of the group and is a murderer. I find it hard to justify it both ways.

More people may be pissed off with Cersei, but we don't see their POVs. May be, may not be.

Did Beric's revivals require blood sacrifice? Touche, that's a good call. Completely forgot about that.

I think most of that set of questions have the same answer, Dumb and Dumber have little interest in connecting dots and things making sense.  They got tired of making the show and just wanted to sprint from spectacle to spectacle.  They showed these tendencies early (Cersei talks about a dead crown prince that no one knew about, somehow in S1), but it became more prevalent.  

On Tywin, it bugged me, too.  He might not have known that she was Arya, but she was a northern high born, and thus had some value (especially since he was plotting to undermine Robb at that point).  A hostage would be a great chip to have in convincing a house to break it's oath and join the winning the team.  To just throw her away to Ser Gregor made no sense.

Political voids:

1. Dorne. No rulers at all since Ellaria and Tyene got imprisoned and the other Snakes got killed off. Apparently all the troops pledged to Dany vanished, too.
  2. The Reach. The only nobles from the Reach that we know still live are Melessa Florent and Talla Tarly. It'd be amusing to think they're running the show in Highgarden.
  3. The Stormlands. Do they support Cersei in spite of the very strong Lannister imagery she's adopted instead of anything Baratheon? Or have they just decided to sit it all out now.
  4. Who is ruling the Riverlands? Did Arya free her uncle from the Twins when she popped over there to kill all the male Freys, or no? Or does some Frey matriarchy still rule?

On 4/10/2019 at 12:18 PM, Ser Gareth said:

More people may be pissed off with Cersei, but we don't see their POVs.

Cersei should not have been able to rule King's Landing in season 7, much less rule any other region from King's Landing. Even ruling the Westerlands from King's Landing (after spending decades living on the other side of the country) should've been damn near impossible.

She should've been squashing rebellions and quelling riots on a daily basis.

That is a MAJOR plot hole.

In any other show, that would automatically qualify as a "jumping the shark" moment. Hilariously enough, that's not even the worst of what season 7 had to offer.

On 4/10/2019 at 12:57 PM, Dragon in the North said:

That was just a regular ranger horn. There’s nothing special about it.

That wasn't the case back in seasons 2-4

And oh, for the record, Tywin did not know that Arya was missing at the time he knew her. Cersei lied to him about Arya and Tyrion played along. it makes sense why he wouldn't be able to connect the dots. The fact that he didn't try to take her to King's Landing with him or send her to Casterly Rock as a hostage is weird though.

Littlefinger totally recognized her though and vice versa. I'm a bit upset that that didn't come back around in season 7 when they were living under the same roof as each other.

9 hours ago, legba11 said:

I think most of that set of questions have the same answer, Dumb and Dumber have little interest in connecting dots and things making sense.  They got tired of making the show and just wanted to sprint from spectacle to spectacle.  They showed these tendencies early (Cersei talks about a dead crown prince that no one knew about, somehow in S1), but it became more prevalent.   

This is why most super-fans should never be put in charge of adapting a epic series.

If they got so tired of making the show, why didn't they just ask HBO for permission to pass the torch along to someone else? Why didn't they put the show on hiatus? Why didn't they ask for help (not from GRRM necessarily but other producers and writers)? Why did they take on the project if they were going to get tired and worn out halfway through?

1. Sam finding the horn
  2. The Dornish theater
  3. Tyrion's first wife
  4. Jon being seen as some sort of god following his resurrection.
  5. There's a major power vacuum in the riverlands. No major house is really around in there anymore.
  6. Edmure - Is he dead or still a captive?
  7. The Sons of the Harpy and the Slavers.

5 minutes ago, Jabar of House Titan said:

Cersei should not have been able to rule King's Landing in season 7, much less rule any other region from King's Landing. Even ruling the Westerlands from King's Landing (after spending decades living on the other side of the country) should've been damn near impossible.

She should've been squashing rebellions and quelling riots on a daily basis.

That is a MAJOR plot hole.

In any other show, that would automatically qualify as a "jumping the shark" moment. Hilariously enough, that's not even the worst of what season 7 had to offer.

That wasn't the case back in seasons 2-4

And oh, for the record, Tywin did not know that Arya was missing at the time he knew her. Cersei lied to him about Arya and Tyrion played along. it makes sense why he wouldn't be able to connect the dots. The fact that he didn't try to take her to King's Landing with him or send her to Casterly Rock as a hostage is weird though.

Littlefinger totally recognized her though and vice versa. I'm a bit upset that that didn't come back around in season 7 when they were living under the same roof as each other.

This is why most super-fans should never be put in charge of adapting a epic series.

If they got so tired of making the show, why didn't they just ask HBO for permission to pass the torch along to someone else? Why didn't they put the show on hiatus? Why didn't they ask for help (not from GRRM necessarily but other producers and writers)? Why did they take on the project if they were going to get tired and worn out halfway through?

Cersei is going to be ruling in the books too.  Right until the more beautiful one (Sansa IMO, Dany is too obvious a choice) will cast down everything she holds dear.

5 minutes ago, Aurane said:
  1. Sam finding the horn
  2. The Dornish theater
  3. Tyrion's first wife
  4. Jon being seen as some sort of god following his resurrection.
  5. There's a major power vacuum in the riverlands. No major house is really around in there anymore.
  6. Edmure - Is he dead or still a captive?
  7. The Sons of the Harpy and the Slavers.

I'm sure I read that Edmure will make a return this season.

1 minute ago, Ser Gareth said:

I'm sure I read that Edmure will make a return this season.

I hope you're right. It'd suck if they forgot about him after being imprisoned for like 3(?) years. I suppose that he'd be in Kings Landing now fter the fall of the Frey's and Castlery rock. I guess that the Lannister army leaving the Rock must have taken them with him.

Archived