Rothfuss XV: Move along, nothing to see here

Kyll.Ing.

14 hours ago, RedEyedGhost said:

Isn't the pronunciation of his name literally the the line of the first book?

Reading comprehension isn’t my thing. :lol: 

Rothfuss fans are nuts.

On Reddit someone was asking if Chronicler were really telling Kvothe's story verbatim (as is claimed) and I pointed out that no, Kvothe had told him a much shorter version and Chronicler had clearly added a shitload of stuff in (with from Kvothe at another time, or from other research, or just made shit up) because it's not physically possible to dictate that story in three days (Wise Man's Fear by itself is like 48 hours long in audiobook, Name of the Wind almost 30 hours). I was mostly taking the mickey, but it is a valid response.

Some of the responses I got were very angry at the application of logic to the situation, someone eventually concluding that 1) Kvothe was speaking two to three times faster than the audibook narrator, 2) the length of days on Rothworld are clearly 2-3 times as long as ours, and 3) the people on Rothworld age at half the rate.

It seemed a bit of a stretch.

2 hours ago, Werthead said:

Rothfuss fans are nuts.

On Reddit someone was asking if Chronicler were really telling Kvothe's story verbatim (as is claimed) and I pointed out that no, Kvothe had told him a much shorter version and Chronicler had clearly added a shitload of stuff in (with from Kvothe at another time, or from other research, or just made shit up) because it's not physically possible to dictate that story in three days (Wise Man's Fear by itself is like 48 hours long in audiobook, Name of the Wind almost 30 hours). I was mostly taking the mickey, but it is a valid response.

Some of the responses I got were very angry at the application of logic to the situation, someone eventually concluding that 1) Kvothe was speaking two to three times faster than the audibook narrator, 2) the length of days on Rothworld are clearly 2-3 times as long as ours, and 3) the people on Rothworld age at half the rate.

It seemed a bit of a stretch.

I ... ay-eee . . .  I just can't!

What kind of lives do these people have??????

:rolleyes:

Well, fans can be a synonym for nuts. No problem there.

I don't understand why they have to be so literal. It's the setting. Don't think too deeply about it.

There's not much point arguing against someone who isn't here, but

1) Kvothe is proud of being a story teller. Odds are he has cadence in his speech when story telling and is not just dictating to Chronicler. It's probably physically impossible anyway. They'll have better luck arguing that the non-story telling portion makes up a larger portion of the audiobook. Easily disproved, but that is how flimsy that argument is.

Also, Chronicler has a special script to speed his writing, but he's still human. He's not a printer. Rothfuss already think it's unlikely that anyone would be able to keep up with normal dictation, which is why he invented the special script. Now they want to double and triple the speed? :lol:

2) I don't think it'll be too hard to find evidence otherwise. There has to be a line referencing time in a book of that length. Maybe when he went into the Fae? I think time passes faster there than in Temerant or whatever its called. Otherwise, I think just finding food references would be a good start. Mealtimes are a good indicator of time.

3) Basically just supporting the previous theory.

34 minutes ago, Proudfeet said:

:rolleyes:

Well, fans can be a synonym for nuts. No problem there.

I don't understand why they have to be so literal. It's the setting. Don't think too deeply about it.

There's not much point arguing against someone who isn't here, but

1) Kvothe is proud of being a story teller. Odds are he has cadence in his speech when story telling and is not just dictating to Chronicler. It's probably physically impossible anyway. They'll have better luck arguing that the non-story telling portion makes up a larger portion of the audiobook. Easily disproved, but that is how flimsy that argument is.

Also, Chronicler has a special script to speed his writing, but he's still human. He's not a printer. Rothfuss already think it's unlikely that anyone would be able to keep up with normal dictation, which is why he invented the special script. Now they want to double and triple the speed? :lol:

2) I don't think it'll be too hard to find evidence otherwise. There has to be a line referencing time in a book of that length. Maybe when he went into the Fae? I think time passes faster there than in Temerant or whatever its called. Otherwise, I think just finding food references would be a good start. Mealtimes are a good indicator of time.

3) Basically just supporting the previous theory.

I dunno... I have no clue how long a “span” is.  :dunno: 

1 hour ago, Ser Not Appearing said:

Why's that?

Well, I should clarify. The people who think Rothfuss is a perfect butterfly who can do no wrong and is a total super hard core the best feminist and who want to name their kid Kvothe and think hes working SO HARD on the next book. So uh fanboys/fangirls I guess. I mean that's anecdotal and I'm sure most, like, 99 percent, of the fans are normal but I've met a few really crazy ones both on the internet and in real life.

And to be fair there are authors with WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY crazier fan communities.

To be fair to the fans, we have to discount the pages that are devoted to the frame story.  i haven't done the calculation and I'm sure the math still doesn't work but it's not fair to say that the length of the two books has to align with the narrated length of 2 or 3 days. 

Also, to be honest, it's a feature not a bug for me that the meta-narrator is unreliable.  But PR fans are some of the most intelligently obsessive I have come across.  When WMF came out Thistlepong, Teaspoon and others unravelled the many mysteries, secrets and easter eggs in the books on an eariler iteration of this thread.  Few books so closely resemble icebergs. 

9 hours ago, Gaston de Foix said:

To be fair to the fans, we have to discount the pages that are devoted to the frame story.  i haven't done the calculation and I'm sure the math still doesn't work but it's not fair to say that the length of the two books has to align with the narrated length of 2 or 3 days. 

Also, to be honest, it's a feature not a bug for me that the meta-narrator is unreliable.  But PR fans are some of the most intelligently obsessive I have come across.  When WMF came out Thistlepong, Teaspoon and others unravelled the many mysteries, secrets and easter eggs in the books on an eariler iteration of this thread.  Few books so closely resemble icebergs. 

I have thistlepong mentally tagged as “the world’s foremost authority on Rothfuss’ work”.  

9 hours ago, Gaston de Foix said:

Since I will be finishing WMF in the next few days, is there a good link to some of these discussions or such?  I don't know that I want to try to slog through fifteen versions of this thread... :lol:

Archived