Women's World Cup 2019

ljkeane

8 minutes ago, Ramsay B. said:

It was so close. I think they might’ve got the call right. Although they only showed 2 really quick replays.

The replay they showed with the line showed Dunn onside. They never reviewed it.

Anyway, USA WINS!

5 minutes ago, Ramsay B. said:

It was so close. I think they might’ve got the call right. Although they only showed 2 really quick replays.

The one thing VAR has been consistently good at is offsides so I'd imagine she probably was fractionally off.

Anyway, deserved win for the US. They were a little fortunate to score the first goal but having got in front they took the sting out of the game really well and eventually got the second goal picking France off on the break. They could have lost their composure when France got one back but again they, pretty calmly, just took the sting out of the game and ran the clock down.

That's a fairly disappointing loss for France, they didn't look composed on the ball at basically any point and Renard didn't cover herself in glory with the second goal.

Just now, Mexal said:

The replay they showed with the line showed Dunn onside. They never reviewed it.

They review everything (or they're supposed to but I can't imagine they didn't look at a potential goal). They only go back to the ref if there's a reason to do it.

50 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

They review everything (or they're supposed to but I can't imagine they didn't look at a potential goal). They only go back to the ref if there's a reason to do it.

I could be wrong but I think because they called it offside, they don't review it. If they let it go, they would have reviewed it.

@ljkeane,

Looks like you were right about Morgan. She didn't look very good out there.

I'm not sure what the first half was like, but the second was terrifying. France was clearly the better side in my eyes, but the U.S. benefited from their excellent finishing. One of the French players had a chip shot on goal with a lot of it exposed and just whiffed it. They also had a ton of near misses on the set pieces. Having that really tall player is such a huge advantage. The U.S. team may not be as good as we initially thought, but taking down the the second best team in their country is a huge boost. England won't be an easy out though. Oh well, survive and advance.

France definitely looked better tactically and technically going forward but the US stayed organized and took their chances well. Deserved result in my opinion. Next match against England will be another tough test.

France looked better in the 2nd half because the US sat back in a 5-4-1. They allowed France to have the ball because France loves to play on the counter attack and attack with numbers at speed. At like the 75th minute, the US had 10 shots, 8 on goal and France had 10 shots, 1 on goal. Still, that was an ass clenching 2nd half.

6 minutes ago, Mexal said:

France looked better in the 2nd half because the US sat back in a 5-4-1. They allowed France to have the ball because France loves to play on the counter attack and attack with numbers at speed. At like the 75th minute, the US had 10 shots, 8 on goal and France had 10 shots, 1 on goal. Still, that was an ass clenching 2nd half.

That's what they said on the broadcast, and as to the bolded, I'd say you're down playing the fear. My heart sank when we lost our goal and they got one pretty quickly afterwards. That's a classic case for a late game collapse. 

Also, I'm so happy it was Rapinoe who was the hero. Eat it Dips**t Donnie!

Sadness.    Now let us honor the fallen by speaking their language, democratic debates style!  - -   Tous les jours il se reveille a 8 h precises.   Il se leve.  Il prend un bain d'une demi- heure et s'habille lentement devant la glace.  Puis il sort, achete le journal et ve dans un cafe pour prende son petit dejeuner.   Ensuite, il se promene dans le parc de la ville jusqu'a midi.   Le soir, il reste chez lui.

Indeed.     The massive forehead of Renaud must rest now.   But there are more tomorrows.    Just not immediately.    Ah, sweet France.    My beret is damp for thee, for I have no more tears.

2 hours ago, Corvinus said:

Wow, well done Sweden! They can beat the Dutch, too, if they play at this level, and unless football really is coming home this time, there'll be a rematch with the USA.

Didn’t expect that result but Sweden deserved it! Although with Germany out I’d say the winner of US vs England should definitely lift the trophy now.

12 minutes ago, Joey Crows said:

Although with Germany out I’d say the winner of US vs England should definitely lift the trophy now.

The Dutch knocked England out of the Euros and Sweden knocked out the US in the Olympics so I'm not sure it's completely a done deal.

I was surprised by the win because Sweden hadn't played very well so far in the tournament. The loss against USA was fair, the first half against Canada in the eighth was abysmal and the eventual 1-0 win was far from convincing. But against Germany we did our best match and I think it the right team won even though it was close in the end. 

On the downside we lost our best player Fridolina Rolfö to a second yellow card so she'll miss the semi final. That's a huge disadvantage. 

I think at this point the Dutch are favourites over Sweden and maybe the US over England, but no bad teams are left in the tournament so anything can happen. 

Rapinoe dropped. Apparently as she won’t offer enough protection against Bronze. I was surprised how reactive the US were against France and it seems like that is the plan again.

The switch to 4-4-2 has been a disaster for Neville. The players look much less comfortable than in the 4-3-3, it has taken away the Bronze-Parris combination down the right that has been England’s biggest weapon this tournament and they are left short handed in central midfield when the Americans break.

Archived