U.S. Politics: Pedophilia is Just Acosta Doin' Business

Jace, Extat

1 hour ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

Our friend is being wildly reactionary. (radical-ary?)

Anyway, ICE isn't gonna go after her. I mean not on duty or anything. I have become increasingly... curious isn't the right word, but almost preemptively horrified to see if an attempt is made on one or all of their lives. And then to see if he pardons the shooter. Especially if he loses (don't think he will).

It’s certainly something to be concerned about, especially because almost all members of Congress don’t have any security details. If you look at the ten steps to genocide, we’re alarmingly far into it.

On a lighter note, what’s your hometown in Indy?

1 minute ago, Tywin et al. said:

It’s certainly something to be concerned about, especially because almost all members of Congress don’t have any security details. If you look at the ten steps to genocide, we’re alarmingly far into it.

On a lighter note, what’s your hometown in Indy?

Indy.

FAKE PRESIDENCY

So just as I expected.

https://news.yahoo.com/trump-better-deal-iran-looks-090507228.html

“Trump got rid of the Iran nuclear deal because it was Barack Obama’s agreement,” said Jarrett Blanc, a former State Department official who helped oversee the 2015 deal’s implementation. “If you were to present to Trump the same deal and call it Trump’s deal, he’d be thrilled.”

I suspect this was his strategy on healthcare as well only the Affordable care act was to technical for Trump to understand, dismantle or replace.

So there we have it ,were left with a brainless, inept, President that is motivated to give himself credit for all his predecessors (a real President) accomplishments. We have a fake Presidency on our hands.

Procrastinating on what I really should be doing, I was just Googling the governor's races in Kentucky and Mississippi this year to see who was running, and ran across this amazing fact.

The present statewide elected Attorney General of Mississippi is a Democrat, and there has never been a Republican Attorney General of Mississippi since Reconstruction. 

I just checked and presently all four states which border Mississippi (Alabama, Louisiana, Arkansas, and Tennessee) have Republican Attorneys General. It just blows my mind that somehow the Democrats have managed to hold onto the office of Attorney General in Mississippi as the South has become such a Republican bastion. This seems like one of the biggest flukes in American politics to me. :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mississippi_Attorney_General

24 minutes ago, Ormond said:

Procrastinating on what I really should be doing, I was just Googling the governor's races in Kentucky and Mississippi this year to see who was running, and ran across this amazing fact.

The present statewide elected Attorney General of Mississippi is a Democrat, and there has never been a Republican Attorney General of Mississippi since Reconstruction. 

I just checked and presently all four states which border Mississippi (Alabama, Louisiana, Arkansas, and Tennessee) have Republican Attorneys General. It just blows my mind that somehow the Democrats have managed to hold onto the office of Attorney General in Mississippi as the South has become such a Republican bastion. This seems like one of the biggest flukes in American politics to me. :)

Have they behaved like Democrats though? Many conservatives in the South still register as Democrats.

what is a leftist autophagy, by the bye? i've never eaten another reformed anarcho-marxist.

i suppose autophagy is what happens when we don't put on our jackboots and march up and down the square while chanting subliterate rightwing slogans.

47 minutes ago, Ormond said:

Jim Hood is a hell of a politician is what it is. Unfortunately, the streak probably ends this year because he's running for governor rather than re-election. And Mississippi has a fun clause in its state constitution that the governor has to win a majority of state legislative districts and a majority of the population; if no one gets that, it goes to the state legislative to vote for who becomes governor.

Hood's popular and may very well get the popular vote, but I just don't see how he gets a majority of districts. And counting on Republican state legislators to vote for him just because he wins the popular vote seems like a fool's errand.

15 minutes ago, sologdin said:

what is a leftist autophagy, by the bye? i've never eaten another reformed anarcho-marxist.

i suppose autophagy is what happens when we don't put on our jackboots and march up and down the square while chanting subliterate rightwing slogans.

it’s the basis for sanders m4a campaign, so everyone can -for free at the point of service! - get the rib removal surgery to, y’know 

Mark Twain was in D.C. when Rep - PA Thaddeus Stevens read the order for the impeachment of Andrew Johnson on the floor of the Senate, February 25th, 1868.

Stevens continued to read from the paper he'd pulled from his coat pocket.  The House would provide the Senate -- and the country -- with specific articles of impeachment in the coming days but in the meantime "we demand of the Senate that it order the appearance of said Andrew Johnson to answer said impeachment."

"The order will be taken,"  Senator Wade replied.

It sounded like a death sentence [to impeachment and the 'radicals'], an onlooker observed, though not to the young Washington correspondent Mark Twain.  "And out of the midst of political gloom," Twain rejoiced, "impeachment, that dead corpse, rose up and walked forth again."

"Prologue" --  The Impeachers: The Trial of Andrew Johnson and the Dream of A Just Nation (2019) by Brenda Wineapple.

So few people understand the Johnson impeachment, the reasons for it, or how it came to happen.  It's complicated, and one needs a great deal of historical background and even biographical knowledge of the figures involved, who include so many from Generals Grant and Sherman, to newspaper editors, and members of the cabinet like Stanton, and members of Congress.  This kind of information doesn't lend itself to education via tweets or other social media venues.  Studying primary documents, studying books is the only way to get there.  I know because it took me years. First I had to learn the history of the War of the Rebellion, and that meant I had to learn the history of the United States from the first colonial days. This history is straight-up racism.  Racism is the history of the United States.  As we hear every single day, out of the mouths of the republicans and their global fellow-travelers, racism is still the active prime mover of US history.

Even back in 1868, freshly after Lincoln's assassination, despite the fearless and relentless figures as Stevens, Sumner, Wilson and others, as during the Nixon constitutional and criminal crisis, many in the government and nation felt that impeachment couldn't happen, until, of course, they knew there was no other resolution except by impeachment. The country had been torn apart by a brutally long and bloody war.  Johnson was continuing the war.

The only way people were convinced was by Congress doing it, and the process of doing so. When they began proceedings to put into place Nixon's impeachment, he resigned so he avoided an indictment and trial.

Johnson was impeached but not tried or forced to resign because of the enormous lobbying effort raised to keep it from happening. It was an effort that, all told, between outright cash, and other deals, was millions of dollars. 

Samuel Ward was right in the center of all of it and kept a diary, though much has been lost.  He bragged he managed to get the final bribe taken literally within a minute of voting.  Of course, Sam Ward was always a braggadocio, but the the money, jobs, cushy government agency positions, bonds, railroad, mineral and land deals -- that information was right in people's faces, and it was reported daily.  It was just not known how much, beyond that it was millions and millions and millions.

Nevertheless, though Johnson didn't have to deal with a trial on the floor of the House, he was impotent to accomplish further damage.  This was mainly due to the measured and intelligent actions of Generals Grant and Sherman, who managed to use the army to restrain the worst of the re-enslavement and tortures being endured by the now free African Americans by the 'former' slaveocracy. Johnson had actively enabled, aided and abetted those same people who had made this war, to return to their former dominance within the federal government and in their home states. These were high crimes and misdemeanors. Many were convinced too, this was treason on his part. Treason is also a high crime.

The take-away lesson seems to be one doesn't get impeachment, or resignation, except by doing it. The second take-away is that resignation, removal and impeachment will never be accomplished unless there are tireless, energetic, morally convinced group of legislators and senators,  labeled 'radicals' by the day's pearl clutchers and outraged southerners / republicans alike. The third take-away is their moral conviction.  Pelosi and some other Dems better find themselves some. I mean, that with 'the Squad' and their energy and their moral conviction, we've got a core here.  We've got to move.  The country cannot bear any more of him and his. Unless he's stopped it's going to blow.  No pearl clutching can prevent that, even if the strands clutched are longer than Bertie's wife's and the Tsarina's put together.

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

Have they behaved like Democrats though? Many conservatives in the South still register as Democrats.

At this point in history I think it's amazing this streak has continued no matter what they have "behaved like".

1 hour ago, Fez said:

Jim Hood is a hell of a politician is what it is.

That must be quite an understatement. He must be one of the best politicians of the last 30 years anywhere.

25 minutes ago, Ormond said:

That must be quite an understatement. He must be one of the best politicians of the last 30 years anywhere.

I read up on him after the 2010 wipeout when he was the only statewide Democrat left in the entire deep south, this is a good write-up from 2013 if you're interested. https://www.governing.com/topics/politics/gov-mississippi-ag-jim-hood-last-dem-in-dixie.html

Basically, he's really good at his job, really good at connecting with voters, and really good at steering clear of most cultural issues that would turn his voters against him. But he's not a DINO and he has principles. His most famous case was probably back in 2005, when he got a conviction against a KKK member for the 1964 murder of three civil rights activists.

11 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Trying to figure who’s more full of s***, Trump saying he actually didn’t like the “send her back” chant or Sen. Graham saying that nobody would be telling Omar to leave if she wore a MAGA hat.

I wanna keep referring to him as Wormtongue but Grima made the right choice at the end. And then I think about Wormtail but even he hesitated when faced with fulfilling his freaky as boss' vision.

I'm left with Gollum. And no, I did not say Smeagol. There's nothing redeemable there.

49 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Trying to figure who’s more full of s***, Trump saying he actually didn’t like the “send her back” chant or Sen. Graham saying that nobody would be telling Omar to leave if she wore a MAGA hat.

The implication of course being exiling someone for their political stances is a punishment, that would not be applied to those who follow Trump.

Remember though  the right overwhelmingly  loves free-speech, and political discourse, and cry any viewpoint shouldn’t be suppressed in any way. I’m sure Graham is being destroyed amongst the Right for his defense of people who advocate government punishing someone for criticizing the country. 

Even if they hate Omar. 

And I couldn’t keep a straight face when I wrote this either lol. 

Archived