NFL 2019 Preseason: Hard Knockin on Gruden's Door

DanteGabriel

Texans traded Jadeveon Clowney to the Seahawks for a couple of extraneous linebackers and a third round pick. There's been speculation for a long time that the Texans would deal him for some kind of OL help so that Deshaun Watson doesn't get Lucked over. The Texans did not get OL help, they got yard trash instead. I think Bill O'Brien needs a GM.

ESPN makes themselves look silly. I was checking on the Clowney trade, and they have him going to Miami for Tunsil and 3rd rd pick, then at the bottom of that article is a link to another article saying he has been traded to Seattle for 3rd rd pick, Barkevious Mingo and another LB. I mean how do you contradict yourself in your own article? It would be different if they revised the head line to say Miami or Seattle.

My guess is Clowney vetoed Miami and wanted to go to a team that has a shot at the playoffs. 

1 minute ago, dbunting said:

ESPN makes themselves look silly. I was checking on the Clowney trade, and they have him going to Miami for Tunsil and 3rd rd pick, then at the bottom of that article is a link to another article saying he has been traded to Seattle for 3rd rd pick, Barkevious Mingo and another LB. I mean how do you contradict yourself in your own article? It would be different if they revised the head line to say Miami or Seattle.

My guess is Clowney vetoed Miami and wanted to go to a team that has a shot at the playoffs. 

I'd seen something that Seattle was one of his top picks, but he didn't want to go to Miami (don't blame him). I also saw some item suggesting there would be a locker room revolt in Miami if they traded Tunsil away.

20 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

I'd seen something that Seattle was one of his top picks, but he didn't want to go to Miami (don't blame him). I also saw some item suggesting there would be a locker room revolt in Miami if they traded Tunsil away.

Well that should make for interesting stories because the Dolphins have traded Laremy Tunsil and Kenny Stills to Houston for 2 first round picks and a second rounder. The Texans also receive a Dolphins 4th rounder.

The only way to make the Clowney trade look good, I suppose.

This is a shockingly one-sided trade. Tunsil is fine. He's okay. And the Texans gave up more than the Bears did for Kahlil Mack. Reminds me of the Cutler trade.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/08/31/dolphins-get-two-first-round-picks-and-a-second-round-pick-from-texans/

3 minutes ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

Well that should make for interesting stories because the Dolphins have traded Laremy Tunsil and Kenny Stills to Houston for 2 first round picks and a second rounder. The Texans also receive a Dolphins 4th rounder.

The only way to make the Clowney trade look good, I suppose.

This is a shockingly one-sided trade. Tunsil is fine. He's okay. And the Texans gave up more than the Bears did for Kahlil Mack. Reminds me of the Cutler trade.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/08/31/dolphins-get-two-first-round-picks-and-a-second-round-pick-from-texans/

Lol, Brian Flores got rid of his social justice troublemaker and fleeced Houston in the process. Jesus Christ does O'Brien need a GM. I had a high opinion of Flores based on his year as the de facto DC. Thought he might be the first assistant to break the Belichick curse. Too bad he seems to be a toolbag.

25 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

Lol, Brian Flores got rid of his social justice troublemaker and fleeced Houston in the process. Jesus Christ does O'Brien need a GM. I had a high opinion of Flores based on his year as the de facto DC. Thought he might be the first assistant to break the Belichick curse. Too bad he seems to be a toolbag.

I've had a funny journey of appreciation for Flores the last six months. At first I didn't like him 'cause he's just another Belichick flunkie. Then he was petty towards Kenny Stills and I didn't like that but then he cucked Bill O'Brian so hard that I think he might be the true heir to Belichick. And whether I like him or not, goddamn do I respect him.

:bowdown:

So let me get this straight - Indy just lost their franchise Qb and are starting brisket, Houston just got rid of their second-best defensive lineman for depth and replaced him with an average dude in exchange for a couple good picks, and Jacksonville has Jason Mendoza as their biggest fan. 

So...Tennessee is guaranteed to win the division? Like, really?

3 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

So let me get this straight - Indy just lost their franchise Qb and are starting brisket, Houston just got rid of their second-best defensive lineman for depth and replaced him with an average dude in exchange for a couple good picks, and Jacksonville has Jason Mendoza as their biggest fan. 

So...Tennessee is guaranteed to win the division? Like, really?

Houston may have a not-terrible offensive line and adding Stills makes them pretty dangerous. I think on paper they're the toughest team in the division, they've just mortgaged away their next couple of first rounds. Nothing better than a coach/GM making short-term decisions because he's on the hot seat!

1 hour ago, DanteGabriel said:

Jesus Christ does O'Brien need a GM. 

On this we agree. 

As a dolphins fan I saw Stills got traded and that's fine.  He s a #2 but not a #1 so save some money get something back and give Prestom Williams more looks.  Then I saw Tunsil was part of it and WTF?  Then saw 2 firsts and a second and said ok then.  Fleeced.

Yeah two 1st rounders and a 2nd rounder is ridiculous for what they are getting in return. Tunsil has been good and now the Texans get the honor of paying him full value since I guarantee he holds out for a new contract in the off season and losing two 1st round picks who would get paid way less. Sounds like what Dallas did with Amari Cooper, get him at his peak cost!

10 minutes ago, Triskele said:

Speaking of Tennessee though this really feels like a  big year for Mariota.  Is he really a long-term franchise QB?  I thought his rookie year was good enough to think so, but it's been a while now, and it feels like he's not advanced all that much.  And he really throws terrible picks too often.  Are we even sure he's better than Tannehill?  It pains me to ask that question, but I don't think it's too far-fetched.  

He has a higher ceiling than Tannehill, Mariota has the talent to win a game on his own talents, but a lower floor because when he's bad he's REAL bad.

1 hour ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

He has a higher ceiling than Tannehill, Mariota has the talent to win a game on his own talents, but a lower floor because when he's bad he's REAL bad.

Yeah, I think he is just good enough to be a starting QB in the NFL, with an occasional glimpse of brilliance, mixed in with too many Petterman moments.

Whoa.    If people were me, they discovered two things when they flipped their calendar over to September.  First, that today is Labor Day, and more importantly that football starts on Thursday.  Who knew?  

I swear to God the Saints are going to have to come up with something reely silly if they want to top the last two season-enders.   And following the Raiders is for tourists or people who'd be wearing bandanas anyway.   Las Vegas residents are much smarter than Los Angelinos and should quickly figure out this team is a bad bet.  I doubt the fanbase will materialize or join the raider nation for more than a quick lookey-loo, like how a new Denny's location draws a crowd but things really die down after that.  People who live in vegas and still manage to pay their mortgage have figured out how to avoid most of the gambling halls and leave that for the tourists.  Stadium attendance for this team will probably reflect that when they finally get the place built.  The raiders.  Good lord.  Fool me into having high expectations for 5 seasons, shame on you.  Fool me into cheering for the raiders for 5 decades, shame on me.

2 hours ago, The Mother of The Others said:

I swear to God the Saints are going to have to come up with something really silly if they want to top the last two season-enders.   

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgbrxbAEeHA    2018

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vS40iaejHT0       2019

Just, just why even bring this up? :crying:

8 hours ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

Colts extend Brisket. 2 years 30 million.

Maybe it's a contract they can walk away from free and clear if he stinks it up this year and if he is good enough to keep then he would be a bargain at 15 mil per season?

6 hours ago, dbunting said:

Maybe it's a contract they can walk away from free and clear if he stinks it up this year and if he is good enough to keep then he would be a bargain at 15 mil per season?

In today's NFL that is barely starter money.  I doubt the Colts even blinked at this price tag, they won't be finding a new qb to pay in those two years.

Indeed, a good backup qb can definitely run $10 million a year, so Brisett's pay is way below average for a starting QB.  Looks like he took the risk averse choice and locked in at least one good payday while he's a starter.  If he plays poorly this year, he might not ever see that kind of money again, and if he plays well, he'll be in for a huge raise after two years.  I can see the logic for him. 

13 hours ago, A True Kaniggit said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgbrxbAEeHA    2018

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vS40iaejHT0       2019

Just, just why even bring this up? :crying:

Remember when Beastmode caused an earthquake?

Well I was definitely wrong on Dallas letting Collins walk after this season since they locked him up for 5 more years. OL is set for sure, barring injuries. Next one due a contract is Williams who still has 3 years on rookie deal. 

Sounds like Zeke deal is happening tonight or tomorrow, likely he is already getting his physical and paper work done, now need to see how much of the pie he is being fed.

Archived