NFL 2019 Preseason: Hard Knockin on Gruden's Door

DanteGabriel

35 minutes ago, Trebla said:

A few things on the Zeke contract...

1. Slow your roll with the "ZOMG they signed a running back to an 8 year contract!" It's not 8, it's not even really 6. Per ESPN's Todd Archer, these are the REAL numbers: 

The bolded is mine.  So only the first two years are guaranteed while years 3 and 4 are guaranteed if he's still on the team the 5th day of new league year. 

2. Yeah, Zeke is a knucklehead and it could be a matter of time before he gets suspended again. But in that case...

3, Signing Elliott, Jaylon Smith, and La'el Collins will have no bearing on their ability to re-sign Dak, Amari, and Byron Jones. Coming into the season, they had $75 million in cap space for 2020 and $108 million for 2021. They have enough to re-sign everybody BUT knew they had to get "team-friendly" concessions from guys so they could still have wiggle room in the future. With these new signings, they are sitting at $65 million for 2020 and $83.8 million for 2021. https://overthecap.com/calculator/dallas-cowboys/

I agree the hot takes were too hot on Zeke's deal but the Cowboys are not in an ideal position. Remove 30 million from both of those numbers from 2020 and 2021 right now and hope that's all they end up paying Dak. Toss in 19 mil a year for Amari Cooper while you're at it and 11 million bucks to address the secondary next year isn't looking so good. The Cowboys have so much cash right now because for the last several years their best players have been on rookie deals, allowing the old superstar contracts to work themselves out. That's over now. They're gonna go back to cap hell. 

It doesn't mean they can't win the Superbowl but as Kal alluded to, their coach is an active negative against their team.

30 minutes ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

I agree the hot takes were too hot on Zeke's deal but the Cowboys are not in an ideal position. Remove 30 million from both of those numbers from 2020 and 2021 right now and hope that's all they end up paying Dak. Toss in 19 mil a year for Amari Cooper while you're at it and 11 million bucks to address the secondary next year isn't looking so good. The Cowboys have so much cash right now because for the last several years their best players have been on rookie deals, allowing the old superstar contracts to work themselves out. That's over now. They're gonna go back to cap hell. 

It doesn't mean they can't win the Superbowl but as Kal alluded to, their coach is an active negative against their team.

Contracts DO NOT work like that in NFL. The "30 million dollars a year average" isn't really 30 million. Most of that is actually back-loaded to the end of the contract. The real number is always the guaranteed $. And yeah, CB Chidobe Awuzie, FS Xavier Woods, and NB  Jourdon Lewis' contacts will come up after 2020 and they'll probably have to let at least one of them walk. They are having NFL First World Problems, drafting so well in the past several years that they can't re-sign everybody. They will have to have to keep drafting well if they want to stay contenders but right now they have good or great players at pretty much every important position. They also have pretty good depth and a few young players that might really develop. 2019 6th round pick S Donovan Wilson could become a starter pretty quick. If so, that could be the 2nd time in 2 years that they hit on a 6th round safety. the first was 2017 6th rounder Woods. 

And as far as Jason Garrett, it's pretty much known he has to get to at least the NFC Championship to get a new contract. If he doesn't, don't be surprised if Lincoln Riley is the Cowboys head coach a year from now. 

6 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

I’m surprised the O-Line hasn’t been mentioned more. Zeke is an elite RB, but that line is still amazing. We’ve never seen him run behind an average line, but we have seen an average RB also look elite behind it. As he ages and the line declines, that contract will be worse and worse. I hope they front loaded the s**t out of that contract (they did have to pay him though, Dak sucks without him).

Did you watch Dallas games last year? There was this guy named Travis Fredrick, an All Pro player, who didn't play at all last year and another kind of important player, the left tackle, also a pro bowler, missed a bunch of games and was playing hurt in other games, so again 2nd and third stringers filled in..oh and a rookie was at left guard, and he only played 10 games..so from the center all the way to the left was patch work.  

4 minutes ago, dbunting said:

Did you watch Dallas games last year? There was this guy named Travis Fredrick, an All Pro player, who didn't play at all last year and another kind of important player, the left tackle, also a pro bowler, missed a bunch of games and was playing hurt in other games, so again 2nd and third stringers filled in..oh and a rookie was at left guard, and he only played 10 games..so from the center all the way to the left was patch work.  

That happens to every team. Dude, one year the Chargers literally had to play TEs on the line because all their third stringers were dead. Perspective, mate. FO ranked Dallas as having the 8th best line and PFF has them at 14 overall for the season, but they moved around a lot week to week. That's still pretty good. Honestly the most you're going to get out of this line of reasoning is that maybe it was the injuries on the line that affected Dak more than missing Zeke. Either way though it still leaves me feeling that Dak is more of a mirror than a mover. He needs great talent around him, and that goes bye-bye once he signs for $35m a year. 

The idea that this isn't going to be the case this year is the reason that expectations get diminished. As stated above, the teams that do the best will either have very good injury luck or have a very large amount of depth, or both. I think Dallas has some good shots, but they appear awfully thin, and they spent a whole lot of money in just a few players. 

8 hours ago, Maithanet said:

The Cowboys look like they have the same drawbacks they usually do.  They have a lot of big name, well paid guys who are stars at their position.  More than most teams, for sure.  But because they have so many of those guys, their depth suffers and they end up coming well short of being a real contender.  And I fully expect that to happen again this year.  I think that the Eagles win the East by at least two games. The Cowboys will be in the mix for the wild card, but there are a lot of teams fighting for those spots, so who knows what happens. 

As for Elliot, I think he's a good back.  Maybe not as good as you do @dbunting, but what do you expect?  I'm not particularly impressed by leading the league in rushing, because that's mostly a function of getting a ton of touches, which Elliot also led the league by a country mile.  In terms of y/a, he's in the upper tier, but seems comparable to guys like Gurley and Gordon and Barkley and Kamara, and he's paid more than all of them. 

Getting a running back "locked down" for the next eight years at the highest salary of the league isn't exactly something to be proud of.  Best case scenario, you're paying top dollar for a pro bowl performance.  But plenty of things can and almost assuredly will happen to running backs over eight years.  Hell, even two years is a long time for a running back (just look how quickly Gurley and Hunt fell in the past year), and that's when this big contract STARTS.

Someone else already pointed out the real contract numbers pretty well so I don't have to paste them here. His biggest contract hits after the first 2 years are the last 2 years, when they can cut him if he has declined. As to comparing him to Kamara, Barkley that makes no sense, they are on rookie contracts. Kamara is due next year and I would be willing to bet he tops Elliot.

No idea why I keep defending a top paid contract when I feel it could hurt the team! 

21 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

That happens to every team. Dude, one year the Chargers literally had to play TEs on the line because all their third stringers were dead. Perspective, mate. FO ranked Dallas as having the 8th best line and PFF has them at 14 overall for the season, but they moved around a lot week to week. That's still pretty good. Honestly the most you're going to get out of this line of reasoning is that maybe it was the injuries on the line that affected Dak more than missing Zeke. Either way though it still leaves me feeling that Dak is more of a mirror than a mover. He needs great talent around him, and that goes bye-bye once he signs for $35m a year. 

$36m per year, don't sell him short!

10 minutes ago, dbunting said:

$36m per year, don't sell him short!

To be fair, I'd rather pay Dak than Goff, though if I were the GM of their respective teams I would have already traded them. I fully buy into the notion of cycling rookie QB contracts until you get a Manning, Rodgers, Mahomes etc., and Goff and Dak are not those dudes.

7 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

Fucking guy really is nuts. I only wish he was still the Steelers problem. 

I'd actually be careful calling him nuts. I think he might be having a serious psychological breakdown, and it's possible that repeated hits to the head are magnifying the effects of some cognitive impairment we're currently unaware of.

On the Brown front, I'm hearing reports that some of the language in his contract allows the Raiders to get out from under the guaranteed money if he gets suspended for conduct detrimental to the team. Don't be shocked if they suspend him for a few weeks while they try to shop him, and if they can't find a buyer, outright cut him. Some reports say he threatened to punch the GM in the face, and if true, that relationship is done.

37 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

I only wish he was still the Steelers problem. 

:thumbsdown: How dare you sir! Those 3rd and 5th round picks the Steelers got for him are looking like a steal now. He's fully lost his damn mind, part of it is most likely head trauma related, but it's also pretty obvious that the dude just thinks he can do whatever the fuck he wants without having any repercussions come his way until Mayock's letter that set this latest shit show into motion. Should be interesting to see what the Raiders do though in response. He'll probably end up in New England and win a Super Bowl...

I'm excited about the Bears this season. With Vic Fangio gone the defense might not be as dominant, but they'll still be one of the better defenses with Khalil Mack being in running for DPOY.

Trubisky will put up bigger numbers in his second year in Nagy's system.

And for the love of God Eddy, don't doink the field goal.

16 minutes ago, Joe Pesci said:

:thumbsdown: How dare you sir! Those 3rd and 5th round picks the Steelers got for him are looking like a steal now. He's fully lost his damn mind, part of it is most likely head trauma related, but it's also pretty obvious that the dude just thinks he can do whatever the fuck he wants without having any repercussions come his way until Mayock's letter that set this latest shit show into motion. Should be interesting to see what the Raiders do though in response. He'll probably end up in New England and win a Super Bowl...

Is it just me or does this seem like a yearly issue with some receiver some where? Ocho Cinco being well, Ocho Cinco, Randy Moss walking off the field during the game, T Owens doing an interview while doing sit ups in his drive way, AB flying into camp in a hot air balloon. 

12 minutes ago, dbunting said:

Is it just me or does this seem like a yearly issue with some receiver some where? Ocho Cinco being well, Ocho Cinco, Randy Moss walking off the field during the game, T Owens doing an interview while doing sit ups in his drive way, AB flying into camp in a hot air balloon. 

Chad Johnson’s shenanigans were always in good fun though. I wouldn’t lump him in with the other “diva” WRs. 

Archived