UK Politics: Spaffed up the wall while chuntering from a sedentary position

Chaircat Meow

Johnson lying his tits off on Marr this morning, blaming Labour for the terrorist's early release.

Usman Khan was arrested in 2012 and sentenced under the IPP (Imprisonment for Public Protection) policy in 2012. This policy was introduced in 2005 by Labour and allowed for terrorist suspects who are believed to have been deeply radicalised but not actually carried out an attack to be indefinitely detained for the public's protection, and not released until a significant deradicalisation programme had been undertaken.

The IPP system was abolished by Conservatives in 2012, which allowed everyone to be held under it to immediately appeal to have their sentences set as normal, regardless of the threat level they still represented. Khan got his sentence set at 16 years, so was allowed to leave prison after less than half of that time. We know already that the Tories refused to implement a more thorough deradicalisation programme for cost reasons.

This one is purely and squarely on the Tories.

7 hours ago, Werthead said:

Johnson lying his tits off on Marr this morning, blaming Labour for the terrorist's early release.

Usman Khan was arrested in 2012 and sentenced under the IPP (Imprisonment for Public Protection) policy in 2012. This policy was introduced in 2005 by Labour and allowed for terrorist suspects who are believed to have been deeply radicalised but not actually carried out an attack to be indefinitely detained for the public's protection, and not released until a significant deradicalisation programme had been undertaken.

The IPP system was abolished by Conservatives in 2012, which allowed everyone to be held under it to immediately appeal to have their sentences set as normal, regardless of the threat level they still represented. Khan got his sentence set at 16 years, so was allowed to leave prison after less than half of that time. We know already that the Tories refused to implement a more thorough deradicalisation programme for cost reasons.

This one is purely and squarely on the Tories.

What matters is who is first to blame another political party for the problem, not who is right or who is lying. People generally believe conservative govts are tougher on crime and tougher on minorities. So if the conservative party blames the leftist softies that must be true. Protestations based in facts that is was the conservatives must therefore be wrong, despite the facts.

Of course if the lefties come out and blame the conservatives, based on facts, the standard response is "now is not the time to play the blame game. Let's focus on supporting the victims. The left are making this into a political football, so disrespectful to the victims and their families."

2 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

If the rumour about the Queen is true, will the election be cancelled?

Perhaps she started the rumour herself given this part

In actual fact, Her Majesty is enjoying a good night of sleep in anticipation of her next big engagement on Tuesday where she will host President Trump...

On 30 November 2019 at 11:30 PM, The Marquis de Leech said:

The polling divergence is starting to resemble 2017.

The dynamics of the campaign have been different.  Labour started miles behind in 2017, and steadily closed the gap.  This time, both Labour and Conservatives have put on support, leaving their respective positions almost unchanged

2 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

I dont give a fuck if it's how you feel Jeremy. Now is not the time to sound soft on terrorism you stupid old fuck. 

As it's totally unclear what you're going on about, I'm guessing this is in response to either...

a. Corbyn questioning the role of Western foreign policy in the rise of Islamic terrorism?
b. Corbyn suggesting we need to do better with rehabilitating those incarcerated for terror offences?
c. Corbyn's solidarity with the Palestinian people?

33 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

As it's totally unclear what you're going on about, I'm guessing this is in response to either...

a. Corbyn questioning the role of Western foreign policy in the rise of Islamic terrorism?
b. Corbyn suggesting we need to do better with rehabilitating those incarcerated for terror offences?
c. Corbyn's solidarity with the Palestinian people?

Saying terrorists should not necessarily serve full terms.

I agree with him. But the vast majority dont. I admire his principles, especially when compared to BJ. But it's almost like he wants to lose. 

Well, this is the problem when you appoint a conviction politician as your leader: sometimes he will be keen to air his convictions. (Although Corbyn can be somewhat selective about this.)

16 hours ago, Spockydog said:

If you've ever travelled into London on Southern Rail, you'd have to be seriously tempted to switch your vote to Labour right now.

A grand a year is also a real, measurable saving that you could do something significant with.

1 hour ago, BigFatCoward said:

So he is a great bloke, we don't need that, we need him to win an election, to protect this country from the biggest bunch of cunts in recent memory. 

I think the problem is that anyone who is Labour leader right now would have many of the exact same problems. Remember Ed Miliband being ripped to pieces for eating a sandwich "incorrectly"?

Another Labour leader might be less left-wing which might appeal more to some centrist voters, but I don't think that'd be a persuasive position to take right now where a lot people are motivated by a move away from Blairism (which was pretty much Tory-lite anyway).

1 hour ago, BigFatCoward said:

So he is a great bloke, we don't need that, we need him to win an election, to protect this country from the biggest bunch of cunts in recent memory. 

And if he was getting a fair shake of things, and the Tories were subjected to any kind of objective scrutiny, he'd be miles ahead in the polls. But he isn't and they aren't so he's not.

And do you think he'd be subjected to any less criticism if he suddenly abandoned his beliefs and principles in order to get more votes?

Just now, Spockydog said:

And if he was getting a fair shake of things, and the Tories were subjected to any kind of objective scrutiny, he'd be miles ahead in the polls. But he isn't, so he's not. And do you think he'd be subjected to any less criticism if he suddenly abandoned his beliefs and principles in order to get more votes?

I think that someone else could do a hell of a lot better than he is doing. He is far too polarising. The way the press has treated him is a disgrace. Its not fair and it's not right, but that is moot, he knows he can't possibly win, so why didn't he let someone else who could?

A radical manifesto means fuck all without the ability to implement it. 

25 minutes ago, Werthead said:

I think the problem is that anyone who is Labour leader right now would have many of the exact same problems. Remember Ed Miliband being ripped to pieces for eating a sandwich "incorrectly"?

Another Labour leader might be less left-wing which might appeal more to some centrist voters, but I don't think that'd be a persuasive position to take right now where a lot people are motivated by a move away from Blairism (which was pretty much Tory-lite anyway).

I think a number of labour politicians could get a better crack of the whip. 

Blair was Tory lite compared to traditional Tory policies, he is practically Lenin compared to the current motley crew. 

Archived