NFL Playoffs: Hindsight Is 20/20 For Bad Coaching Decisions

Mr. Chatywin et al.

well look at them the previous week.  Gangbusters.  So It was the vikings turn to lay an egg.  Apparently everyone takes turns.  It's an odd product this nfl where you rarely have everyone show up as the team that got to the playoffs.   I dunno why it's such a major motif, but the playoff games where everyone brings their best and plays to win are kind of a treat because half the time it doesn't happen.    Ballers are tempermental.   

Titans have paul bunyan, but what they really have is a way to gain traction in any game, which gives them a chance against defenses accustomed to shutting down everyone's space age gimmickry, and then they see someone just running right at them and moving the chains like it's the stone ages, establishing the titans' mojo and having a disrupting effect on the ravens when they feel their own aura of invincibility being dispelled.   Temperamental.

18 minutes ago, DMC said:

LOL 

?

The Vikings along with the Eagles and Cowboys probably had the most overall roster talent at the start of the year. We have the best overall skill position talent and an All-Pro at every level of the defense. I think it says a lot that our weakest position (CB) has a guy on it who was in the conversation for best in the league just two seasons ago. The roster is loaded. We just had bad offensive play calling at times. Enjoy him Browns fans.

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

The Vikings along with the Eagles and Cowboys probably had the most overall roster talent at the start of the year.

The Vikings definitely have the better receivers, and Cook is definitely the best back - although there's something to be said for the Niners' three headed monster.  Other than that, I'll take the Niners at all three units on defense, obviously TE, don't think the Vikings have a FB like JuiceCheck.  Jimmy vs Cousins is definitely a wash - they had strikingly similar numbers this season across a host of categories.  As for the OL, I don't know (pretty hard to evaluate the position anyway), but based on that game I'm definitely taking the Niners'.  You're asking me to believe you over my lying eyes.

2 hours ago, Jaime L said:
L-Jax accounted for 500 yards alone and lost to a QB who barely cracked 100. 

It's even worse. Tannehill had 88 yards passing. He had 72 against the Pats. Somehow the Titans crushed the 1 and 3 seeds with a total of 160 passing yards from their QB. Somewhere, Tim Tebow is praying really hard.

5 minutes ago, DMC said:

The Vikings definitely have the better receivers, and Cook is definitely the best back - although there's something to be said for the Niners' three headed monster.  Other than that, I'll take the Niners at all three units on defense, obviously TE, don't think the Vikings have a FB like JuiceCheck.  Jimmy vs Cousins is definitely a wash - they had strikingly similar numbers this season across a host of categories.  As for the OL, I don't know (pretty hard to evaluate the position anyway), but based on that game I'm definitely taking the Niners'.  You're asking me to believe you over my lying eyes.

Agreed.  It was a point of some contention for the last few drafts when the Niners kept taking lineman after lineman after lineman and not investing in the skill positions at all.  So while Minnesota appears to have the advantage at the sexier positions, I think the game really showed where the Niners had invested their capital.

I think the point he's making is that the Vikings should have performed better this entire season than they did based on how they did in previous years, especially on defense.  Given how the year went, it's blatantly obvious that this defense who hasn't changed in ~3 years and has been a top 1-5 defense in each of those years, played abysmally this year despite having the exact same talent.

Despite that talent, they were constantly outplayed by better teams, the only real exception being against the Saints.  Not sure what they are going to do next year, because unless they get some faster guys on the corners and significantly more aggressive guys on both sides of the ball, they'll keep swirling in mediocrity.  

2 minutes ago, Rhom said:

Agreed.  It was a point of some contention for the last few drafts when the Niners kept taking lineman after lineman after lineman and not investing in the skill positions at all.  So while Minnesota appears to have the advantage at the sexier positions, I think the game really showed where the Niners had invested their capital.

And you guys probably have the best young coach in the league. 

Shifting gears a bit... Jimmy Johnson Hall of Famer.  It took me a bit to work around that in my head last night during halftime.

On the one hand, you absolutely cannot tell the story of the NFL in the 90's without Jimmy Johnson and he has two Super Bowls.

On the other hand, he really didn't coach all that long.  He had five seasons in Dallas with three of them over .500.  Then he came back and coached the Dolphins for four years at a .563 winning percentage.  

So his tenure isn't all that long, and outside of the three playoff years in Dallas, honestly wasn't great...  :dunno: 

4 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

It's even worse. Tannehill had 88 yards passing. He had 72 against the Pats. Somehow the Titans crushed the 1 and 3 seeds with a total of 160 passing yards from their QB. Somewhere, Tim Tebow is praying really hard.

He only had to throw it 14 times last game. Not going to get a lot of yards attempting to throw 14 times. 

Lamar on the other hand had 59 pass attempts.

7 minutes ago, aceluby said:

I think the point he's making is that the Vikings should have performed better this entire season than they did based on how they did in previous years, especially on defense.

That's fair, but that dip in performance suggests the vaunted defense was more talented, but isn't anymore - which happens in a league as volatile as the NFL.  And when you have drives like the Niners' 8 play, 44 yards all on runs of at least 4 yards (until the touchdown), that's a type of dominance that isn't based on play-calling or scheme.  Coupled with their dominant defensive performance, I'm very confident saying the Niners have the superior roster.

2 minutes ago, DMC said:

That's fair, but that dip in performance suggests the vaunted defense was more talented, but isn't anymore - which happens in a league as volatile as the NFL.  And when you have drives like the Niners' 8 play, 44 yards all on runs of at least 4 yards (until the touchdown), that's a type of dominance that isn't based on play-calling or scheme.  Coupled with their dominant defensive performance, I'm very confident saying the Niners have the superior roster.

That should be obvious at this point, especially now that everyone is healthy (it was a rough few weeks there at the end of the season), but Tywin did preface his comment with 'at the start of the year'.

I do have to say, everyone I knew was basically saying we need to stop drafting these killer RBs and get some damn linemen in the draft, and last year we got another killer RB and for yet another year, the line looked like hot garbage against any decent defense.  Anyone want to take bets that the Vikings take either a RB/WR as their first pick and completely screw themselves for another year?

2 minutes ago, aceluby said:

That should be obvious at this point, especially now that everyone is healthy (it was a rough few weeks there at the end of the season), but Tywin did preface his comment with 'at the start of the year'.

I do have to say, everyone I knew was basically saying we need to stop drafting these killer RBs and get some damn linemen in the draft, and last year we got another killer RB and for yet another year, the line looked like hot garbage against any decent defense.  Anyone want to take bets that the Vikings take either a RB/WR as their first pick and completely screw themselves for another year?

I am of the opinion that the new way to fill those skill position slots is exactly what the Niners did.  Keep drafting linemen.  Then when you have your roster in place, look around the league for a team like Denver or Miami that is getting ready to go into rebuild mode that has a talented guy or two who want out.  Pick up your Emmanuel Sanders then.  Its a plan that has worked in multiple places and seems to be headed towards a trend.

5 minutes ago, aceluby said:

Tywin did preface his comment with 'at the start of the year'.

In that response he did.  The discussion started with his present tense comment:  "I actually think the Vikings are more talented."

Also, in general defensive performance year to year is not particularly sustainable, significantly less so than offensive performance. Due to injuries, agedifferent teams being played, and a significant larger effect in turnover it just isn't likely that teams will stay good on defense for a while. 

15 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

I was giving Ry-Guy credit for his killer 13 yards rushing (which included maybe the greatest block I've ever seen on a TD run). 

But needing only 160 yards passing total to beat the past and likely future champ is nuts. Ryan Freaking Tannehill. Even Eli Manning can't believe how much his teammates are doing for him. 

9 minutes ago, briantw said:

I think the main problem for the Vikings comes down to Cousins.  He's just not that good, and he has a tendency to disappear in big games.  You can only put so much lipstick on a pig.  

Cook had 9 carries for 16 yards.  This has always been a run first offense, and they couldn't run.  Their pass play selection is mediocre at best when it isn't based on the run.  Not saying you're wrong, he only has 6 or 7 wins in his career against winning teams, but Cousins is nowhere near the main problem.  And statistically he was in the top 5 this year and won a tough playoff game in OT with a game winning touchdown.  Guy earned his money this year.

The main problem was the secondary.  They got picked apart.  Part of that problem was the line didn't get to the QB fast enough.  Giving up 20-30 points a game makes it very difficult to win for the vikings.  Third, I'd put on the oline, which did pretty awful with any kind of blitzing package.  Lots of stuff to deal with, so I don't think a SB is in our future any time soon regardless of who's at QB.

1 hour ago, Rhom said:

Shifting gears a bit... Jimmy Johnson Hall of Famer.  It took me a bit to work around that in my head last night during halftime.

On the one hand, you absolutely cannot tell the story of the NFL in the 90's without Jimmy Johnson and he has two Super Bowls.

On the other hand, he really didn't coach all that long.  He had five seasons in Dallas with three of them over .500.  Then he came back and coached the Dolphins for four years at a .563 winning percentage.  

So his tenure isn't all that long, and outside of the three playoff years in Dallas, honestly wasn't great...  :dunno: 

And you know what else?

I forgot this one damning piece of evidence against him.  In 1991, he took the Dallas Cowboys to the playoffs and lost... to the Detroit Lions! :stunned:

I’m honestly surprised they even let him stay in the league.

Archived