Star Trek: Hawley

Vaughn

The cast of the Kelvin movies was excellent but the stories weren't. I'd love to see Noah Hawley use them for a new movie but so far it sounds like he'll be starting over from scratch. Still, I'm optimistic that he can take the franchise in an interesting direction. Fargo and Legion were fun/interesting for the most part. 

The one thing I really hope for is that, if they do a total reboot, they start with the crew together doing something out in space. I don't need to see the Academy again just like I don't need to see Spiderman's or Batman's origin story. 

51 minutes ago, Rhom said:

I may be out of the loop here.  I have no idea what you are talking about.

Care to share a link?

Recently it was announced that Noah Hawley would write and direct the next Star Trek movie, which looks like it will not be a continuation of the JJ Abrams Trek films:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/noah-hawley-star-trek-movie-include-new-cast-1268499

It's perhaps a bit of a shame because I think the cast of those films had the potential to be in a better film than any of the three we got so it might have been interesting to see what a new writer could do with them.

Yeah I was surprised he's apparently not gonna bring back the cast, I thought they were great.  But maybe he's thinking about different characters anyway?  Think I read he was really motivated by TNG.  Certainly willing to give him a chance, albeit I haven't seen Fargo or Legion.  Both are in that "perpetually on the Netflix queue" purgatory.

Wasn't the alleged issue with the fourth film that Chris Pine and Chris Hemsworth had too high of an asking price to be in the film that was scripted? If they can't get Pine, at least, to appear in another film, they'll have to reboot or move on to some other cast of characters.

1 hour ago, Ran said:

Wasn't the alleged issue with the fourth film that Chris Pine and Chris Hemsworth had too high of an asking price to be in the film that was scripted? If they can't get Pine, at least, to appear in another film, they'll have to reboot or move on to some other cast of characters.

I think that script with Kirk's father appearing was before Hawley was involved, but the salary problems might have discouraged him from continuing with the previous cast even if they didn't need Hemsworth.

1 minute ago, williamjm said:

I think that script with Kirk's father appearing was before Hawley was involved, but the salary problems might have discouraged him from continuing with the previous cast even if they didn't need Hemsworth.

Yup. I don't even think they had a script just an idea involving time travel and Kirk Sr. Then there was Tarantino's thing but no one seriously thinks his "final" film will be Star Trek. Then Hawley's idea but I thought that stalled when Lucy in the Sky bombed and was critically panned. 

1 minute ago, Corvinus said:

Off topic, but given the changes with this one, is Tarantino's film still happening?

I just checked and apparently it's not.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quentin_Tarantino's_unrealized_projects#Star_Trek

https://collider.com/quentin-tarantino-star-trek-update/

Man that's a lot of movie's he's never gonna make. 

3 hours ago, Ran said:

That was always so weird to me. If adding a huge international movie star to an already large, well known, successful cast is going to cost too much money, then tell a different story. It's not like he was a pivotal role on a mid-series movie like Depp in those Potterverse films. 

Here's the interview. https://collider.com/star-trek-4-cast-details-noah-hawley/

There was also some weird post I read somewhere laying out that Paramount doesn't want to owe Bad Robot any money for a new series so don't want to use the Kelvin universe going forward. 

12 minutes ago, Vaughn said:

There was also some weird post I read somewhere laying out that Paramount doesn't want to owe Bad Robot any money for a new series so don't want to use the Kelvin universe going forward. 

Seems a waste of a reboot...

12 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

From what I’ve been reading Hemsworth didn’t want to do it because the script was poop. 

If someone willing to do Men In Black : International thinks the script is unacceptably bad maybe it's for the best it wasn't made.

I actually thought the third rebooted movie Star Trek: Beyond was quite good.  I appreciated that the movie slowed down at some points to have some quieter character interactions.  This never seemed to happen in the first two, where the pace was insanely fast.

18 hours ago, Rubicante said:

I actually thought the third rebooted movie Star Trek: Beyond was quite good.  I appreciated that the movie slowed down at some points to have some quieter character interactions.  This never seemed to happen in the first two, where the pace was insanely fast.

It was fun but I didn't like what they did with Elba. What a waste of an actor, to cover him with 10 lb. of latex and spray paint. 

7 hours ago, Vaughn said:

It was fun but I didn't like what they did with Elba. What a waste of an actor, to cover him with 10 lb. of latex and spray paint. 

Yeah, they should have cast a bad actor to play the mutant instead of wasting a good actor in the role...

On 1/13/2020 at 12:48 AM, Vaughn said:

He didn't stay like that for the whole movie though.

I take your points on Elba but to put it differently, I felt like it was a waste of his talents but also the concept just took me out of the movie a bit. A mutation which makes you unrecognizable and yet, somehow, able to stay alive for years and years. Too convenient by half. 

The third movie was good in that it was in deep space, not puttering around San Fran. 

Is this a good place to admit I don't get how ST warp drive works and never bothered to find out? Exploration in the age of sail is a compelling story. If you're just sitting around in hyperspace for 5 minutes in your starship, then the stakes are somewhat lower. Given the amount of space faring civilizations there are, I'd assume most of the galaxy is pretty well known at this point, no? Anyways, I'd love to see either a great war movie Trek (Klingons, Romulans, Kardashians (kidding), all fine) or a voyage of true exploration, discovering the unknown, etc... 

27 minutes ago, Vaughn said:

Is this a good place to admit I don't get how ST warp drive works and never bothered to find out? Exploration in the age of sail is a compelling story. If you're just sitting around in hyperspace for 5 minutes in your starship, then the stakes are somewhat lower. Given the amount of space faring civilizations there are, I'd assume most of the galaxy is pretty well known at this point, no? Anyways, I'd love to see either a great war movie Trek (Klingons, Romulans, Kardashians (kidding), all fine) or a voyage of true exploration, discovering the unknown, etc... 

Now you've done it. First, don't go by JJ's movies. JJ has no concept of how big space is. 

In the main Trek universe, that has all the shows (not sure about Discovery), the Federation and all its big neighbors live in about a quarter of the galaxy. At max warp speed it still takes a fair amount to traverse this space. The Voyager show deals with the ship Voyager being transported all the way to another part of the galaxy, due to a crazy space rift, 70,000 light years which would take them many years under normal power to traverse. 

Warp travel works by bending space around the ship. Theoretically possible, but would require insane amounts of energy.

Archived