So I want to start a thread on good songs to listen to whilst reading ASOIAF :P

Leave your favourites down below! :)

My personal favourites:

Kevin Macleod - Air Prelude

Kevin Macleod - Long Note One

Kevin Macleod - Long Note Two

Ramin Djawadi - Three eyed Raven

Okan Sahin - Underground

*My personal favourite and one I’d highly recommend is ‘Kevin Macleod - Air Prelude.’ (The First One) ^_^

Really like some music from the show, mainly a nice compilation of Lannister themes:

And Blood of the Dragon from Season 5 (it doesn't fit perfectly with the main books, but it's perfect to listen while reading F&B, I don't know it captures the spirit very nicely I think:

From the show I also like the sound effect of Joffrey dying played in a loop and Ramsay being eaten by dogs, also in a loop. They're just so relaxing.

From outside the show I really really like to listen to music by Philip Glass, my favorite being Pruit Igoe I think:

When I read for enjoyment like ASOIAF I can´t stand any noise, distraction  or even presence of any human being including my family.

I don´t really understand how can you dive deep into reading while listening music.

34 minutes ago, Putin said:

When I read for enjoyment like ASOIAF I can´t stand any noise, distraction  or even presence of any human being including my family.

I don´t really understand how can you dive deep into reading while listening music.

I find music sets the tone better personally. Struggle to read without it

3 hours ago, Brandon Ice-Eyes said:

I find music sets the tone better personally. Struggle to read without it

In my case it helps me detach from the usual day to day stuff, so when I'm trying to read it properly it's way better with some music on.

Actually, one of the things I do after I re-read a chapter of ASOIAF is that I would re-watch the matching scene in HBO GoT (Season 1 - 4 only).

If there were any discrepancies, I would ask myself why? Was it the HBO budget? A unnecessary plot line? Is George trying to hide something? Or is George giving us a hint of foreshadowing for TWOW or ADOS?

For example:

Spoiler

In ACOK during the Battle of Blackwater Bay, Stannis is not in the front lines of the battle. As a smart military commander, he places himself in a safer area of his army to still give out commands.

But in the TV show, in a episode-script that GRRM personally wrote for Season 2:

Stannis is a bad-ass leading the vanguard of his forces. But seriously, as bad-ass as it is, it is very stupid of him leading the front. What if he gets killed early? Where would his men go at the point? Shireen? Ha! Would they still fight after Stannis dies at the front line? Luckily thanks to ACOK plot-armor, we know he makes it out alive after this battle.

He had a few close calls though. While being one of the first to reach the castle, he almost got his head smashed.

Damnnnnn ... what a decapitation! That rock must of weigh as much as a mountain!

I wonder if this foreshadows any one else who is stupid enough to lead a vanguard into battle in TWOW?

4 hours ago, The Map Guy said:

I wonder if this foreshadows any one else who is stupid enough to lead a vanguard into battle in TWOW?

Not book Stannis, he would never be dumb enough, that seems more like a foreshadowing in the abomination. Remember the first character Dumb&Dumber torpedoed was Stannis as early as season 2.

19 hours ago, Alyn Oakenfist said:

Not book Stannis, he would never be dumb enough, that seems more like a foreshadowing in the abomination. Remember the first character Dumb&Dumber torpedoed was Stannis as early as season 2.

Stupid D&D ... after TWOW reveals Stannis actually wins the Battle of Winterfell, D&D can take their unnecessary BotB plot & the Emmy they won from it, and shove it up in their asses! It will be forgotten in history of TV and literature.

I like how TV Tyrion watches TV Stannis charging the castle at the front lines and says "He is a serious man, Stannis Baratheon"
Remember, this episode was written by GRRM himself, and I think this line foreshadows a battle tactic in the Battle of Winterfell in TWOW.
Roose will fall for a ruse he created himself and guards the quiet gate, thinking the main attack is there ... while a loud diversionary force pretends to attacks Ramsay's gate.
But Stannis is serious about attacking a gate he meant to attack. Stannis breaches Ramsay's gate, after Ramsay accidentally opens it for them, thinking they were friends and not foes.

Archived